Flaxseed oil and pregnancy... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we are ttc...have been for awhile...and on my quest we have tried a lot of things! One of the things I would like to make sure I get enough of is my omegas! - I have also read that getting enough omegas greatly reduces ones risk of miscarriage...what I want! ...

But...im a vegetarian...No problem you say? Well no, not really - I can easily get omegas from vegetarian sources and be lazy and buy vegetarian omega supplements...

But but... Most of this is from flaxseed oil...

Now - I have read that it is not safe to take flaxseed oil whilst pregnant...

So really, I would just like to know more about that. Is it really not safe? Why isnt it safe? I am a paranoid enough ttcer at this point to take one tiny article very seriously and have been avoiding the stuff like no tomorrow...

But I am also struggling to get enough calories in the day. I eat a lot - I eat when I am hungry...I am just too darn healthy that I am barely getting 1000 calories a day (I was curious and added it all up over a weeks time -but I generally eat the same stuff everyday)...So ive made the effort to add more yoghurts, etc to my diet... But taking a spoonful of the veggie omega oil would also help to add more calories (about 300 per spoon - I could take 3 a day!)... But again...what about that flaxseed oil eh? There is a such thing as getting too little calories and this would be an easy way to increase my healthy calorie intake without consuming a bunch of crap that doesn't fill me up...

So -thoughts? Any experts out there? All advice/links/articles/etc - Would be fab! Thank you in advance!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#2 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

I've never heard that it's not safe for pregnancy. I always thought it was.

That said, hemp oil has even more omegas in it, including the good GLA stuff. Afaik it's pregnancy safe.
#3 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 PM

I have also heard that flaxseed oil is not good during pregnancy.

If you google it, you will find a lot of articles; it seems nobody feels strongly enough to say "Don't take it"!!! but also none of them say it is safe either.
Here is a small excerpt:

Flax Seed Oil and pregnancy

Some doctors believe that pregnant women should not take flax seed oil. The main reason that some doctors don’t approve of taking flax seed oil while pregnant is because flax seed seems to have an effect on estrogen and hormones which might interfere with the body during pregnancy. Flaxseed provides lignans, phytoestrogen, which are estrogen-like phytochemicals and may alter hormonal balance during pregancy. Since women during pregnancy and fetus are in their hormone-sensitive period, caution is advised on the dosage of flax seed intake. In animal studies, intakes of high dosages of flax seeds have caused reproductive complications. Another alternative is taking fish oil, which has been found to greatly support pregnancy and healthy baby development. It may even help prevent miscarriage. This is obviously very important. Please talk to your doctor about the effects of flax seed and pregnancy or fish oil and pregnancy before taking any supplement.

I have been wanting to take it instead of fish oil myself, but I can't seem to make an "educated" decision with all the wishy-washy information available out there :

I will be checking in here for other Mama's opinions.
#4 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM

I've never heard anythign bad about taking it while pregnant and I've been taking it all along under the care of 2 different OBs and a team of midwives. No problem.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#5 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 07:23 PM

How about algae DHA?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#6 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm a vegetarian too. Spectrum makes a vegetarian DHA supplement (algae based). I've also used flaxseed meal stirred into my oatmeal and flax oil in my salad dressings and my MW, who is very into holistic nutrition, etc, mentioned that she prefers fish for being more bioavailable, but said nothing at all against me taking the vegetable sources. (and I have some some serious ethical problems with the fishing practices of the fish-oil companies so I really don't want to make an exception for this one).

She also emphasized that in general I should be getting plenty of healthy fats throughout pregnancy, breastfeeding. Nuts, seeds, avocados, unrefined coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, etc. Grass fed dairy products if available (not so much where we are). IMHO (and hers) its not "healthy" for a pregnant or lactating woman to be eating a really low fat diet. Young kids too need fat in their diet for their brain development. Anyway, I don't know what your diet is like, but fats are certainly calorie dense as you noted and would probably bring your overall intake up.

I gave my son vegan omega-3 oil mixed into his food when he started solids and now he takes a vegetarian omega-3 supplement for kids. He seems really smart and healthy to me

Good luck.

dissertating mom to three

#7 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 PM

Hi Ann,

For me, the scares about things like soy and flax are not too important. I figure balance is the key. Eating too much of anything is not good for a person.

I was taking flaxseed oil before my morning sickness made doing so difficult. I had no problems with it pregnancy-wise, and I will resume taking it when my stomach calms down. I don't take huge amounts, just mix some in with my morning oatmeal.

I also take microalgae DHA and occasionally use hemp-based products to boost my Omega 3's.

For caloric intake: I am vegan and have no trouble eating the required calories. Maybe if you eat a lot of raw foods, you could eat more cooked foods? If you eat a lot of uncooked fiber, it can make you feel too full to get enough nutrients sometimes.

If you want to be more raw-oriented, you could add more raw nuts and nut butters to your diet. (Walnuts are considered a "very good" source of Omega 3s, by the way!) Avocado can be good. Smoothies with frozen fruit, juice or nut milk and protein powder or vegan yogurt or nuts can be nourishing and help boost your caloric intake.

VegFamily has some good vegan pregnancy resources.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#8 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 PM

I did not know that about flaxseed oil. Sounds like the same issue as with soy. I'd avoid both. If you have a boy, he could be born with undescended testicles and/or hypospadias.
#9 of 13 Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! - Im still confused but glad to see that I am not the only one! hehe I will have a look at the algae one. I have one made from sea something or other (? - cant think at the moment lol) - But it was VERY expensive! I can get cheap veggie omegas...but its flaxseed oil based! hehe
I never knew walnuts had omegas in though - and I love nuts and eat a lot! Thanks for that tip!...

I probably wouldnt be so concerned if I did not have a low progesterone problem - but because I do and what flaxseed oil does to the body, its why I am afraid to take it!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#10 of 13 Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
Thanks for the replies! - Im still confused but glad to see that I am not the only one! hehe I will have a look at the algae one. I have one made from sea something or other (? - cant think at the moment lol) - But it was VERY expensive! I can get cheap veggie omegas...but its flaxseed oil based! hehe
I never knew walnuts had omegas in though - and I love nuts and eat a lot! Thanks for that tip!...

I probably wouldnt be so concerned if I did not have a low progesterone problem - but because I do and what flaxseed oil does to the body, its why I am afraid to take it!
Yeah I'd definitely avoid flax then.

Hemp oil is safe and it's not as expensive as algae. I think it's like $15 for a big bottle at whole foods, and you only need 2 tablespoons at a time.
#11 of 13 Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post

How about eggs? Especially from chickens fed flaxseeds? Maybe that would work?

Mommy to kids

#12 of 13 Old 02-17-2009, 12:48 AM

i do know that i was reading today about preconception diets and they stress how important getting omega3's are for sperm and egg production. good luck.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#13 of 13 Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 AM

Question - I'm not taking flaxseed oil this pregnancy but I did take it when pregnant with DD - 1 tbsp almost daily (usually in oatmeal) from like week 23 or so on. It had been recommended to me for Omega 3s and to help with mood and constipation so I kept with it. DD was born naturally at 38.5 weeks and other than having pretty bad reflux for a while and her soft spot lasting longer than normal, she seems fine. Should I be concerned at all though?

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page