Mothering Forum banner

wwyd - 33 weeks measuring 41 weeks

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  esokitty 
#1 ·
Hello out there. I'll try to put anything I think might be relevant here

32 year old with second pregnancy under care of CNMs.
previous pregnancy netted healthy 9lb 11oz son at 41.5 weeks after induction due to "borderline pregnancy induced hypertension" negative Gest. Diabetes, gained nearly 80 lbs over pregnancy

This pregnancy has been great until today - my 32 week visit. Blood pressure has been low and steady, weight gain has been relitavely minimal (18 lbs net gain at 32 weeks).

Fundal height was dead on until 30 weeks. At 30 weeks I measured 32 weeks. At 32 weeks I measured 41 weeks. Both measurements taken by the same midwife. She is not overly concerned - says its probably just another large baby, which I'm well equipped to birth, but wants to order an US just to check fluid levels, etc.

My US isn't scheduled until next friday, but now I'm starting to worry.

Should I get the US sooner? Is this us just going to set me up to head down the road of a "quasi-complicated" pregnancy, netting me another substandard birth experience?

help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Go with your gut and if you feel that you can patiently wait until Friday to get the U/S and trust that your baby is healthy then wait. If your nerves and mother's instinct are telling you to call and get in sooner then do that. There is nothing wrong with being worried and wanting to find out how your babe is doing, especially when there is a bit of concern.

I wish you and your babe the best.

#3 ·
I definitely would get the U/S, although I don't think waiting a few days or so would be a big deal. With a sudden rise in fundal height like that, what they're worried about is Polyhydramnios, which is generally a concern during labor as it puts you at an increased risk for cord prolapse. But don't freak out yet. Take deep breaths. Have the U/S. Maybe everything is fine.

And if your gut tells you to go in sooner, go in sooner.

#5 ·
I measured 8 weeks ahead with my singleton pregnancy as well, and the reason was that I had a big baby (10-10 at 40 weeks) and polyhydraminos (without any other complications). The extra fluid did make it difficult for my baby to get positioned correctly (he also had a HUGE head--16 inches), but was not really a concern for my midwives and did not necessarily affect my birth experience.

Good luck!

Lex

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mizlizzy View Post
Could it be twins?
Not unless they missed on at the 18 week US scan! ALthough he is due on April 1, maybe that's the april fools joke?!

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think I may call on monday and ask to be seen sooner. I read up on polyhydramnios and am slightly suddenly remembering how many "difficult breathing episodes" I've had over the last week or so.

Thanks! I'll update when I know what the deal is.

~e

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.