Vomiting during labor - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 04-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zofran would be perfectly fine to use in labor. they can give it IV and it works more effectively that way too. I'm still on it now (32 weeks) and expect to be on it through delivery.

Belia, I don't think so, it just depends on the individual.
#32 of 36 Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM

I didn't throw up my whole pregnancy but once in labor I puked and puked and puked and puked and they didn't want me to have anything to drink (but I smuggled in Gatorade anyway, which didn't help because I, y/k, puked ) and finally they gave me an IV of something and all puking stopped immediately. It was SUCH a relief!!! Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was, but I told the nurse before getting it that I was prone to panic/anxiety and was med-phobic and she said, "oh, I'm glad you told me, I'll give you xyz instead of abc" so maybe that's something worth mentioning if you go the med route, because whatever I got gave me no side effects or spaciness or whatever.
#33 of 36 Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 PM

I'm going to be asking my doctor if I can take Zofran before delivery/epidural because I tend to react with violent vomiting with just about any anesthesia. I have been on it for excessive vomitting already and doesn't have much of any side effects.
#34 of 36 Old 04-07-2008, 01:49 AM

Oh my God, it's my worst nightmare come true! I have a severe throwingup phobia....... I was thankful to not have morning sickness.. But now here's my question, for you guys who experienced this during labor, did you also have bad morning sickness in the beginning? I'm wondering if it has a lot to do with the person's stomach or if it's something completely different..
#35 of 36 Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlanketGawki View Post
Oh my God, it's my worst nightmare come true! I have a severe throwingup phobia....... I was thankful to not have morning sickness.. But now here's my question, for you guys who experienced this during labor, did you also have bad morning sickness in the beginning? I'm wondering if it has a lot to do with the person's stomach or if it's something completely different..
For me, it was something different. I didn't have any M/S with my dd and threw up constantly for my very, very long labor. And this was all at a birth center so it wasn't in relation to medication. We did wind up being transferred to a hospital though. I think mine was a pain reaction since it only happened during contractions and a couple times if I focused really, really, really hard I didn't throw up.

I am doing a lot of things different this time. I am doing a homebirth and will be doing hypnobirthing and trying to take away the focus on pain and have a pain free birth. I will also have lemons and peppermint there like others suggested and I may have some dried Kelp which really helped one of my friends. My first labor was 56 hours so at this point a 24 hour labor sounds like pure bliss.
#36 of 36 Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 AM

Oh GOSH.. that sounds awful.. Best of luck with your homebirth, that is what I want as well As far as your sickness goes, they never really concluded what triggered it? I have never understood how/why pain causes that reaction in some people..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page