question re strange amniotic sac stuff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-18-2003, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can you have 2 amniotic sacs and only one baby?? my "mil" claims that when she was preg w/ my ex, he had 2 amniotic sacs. she never said anything about him being a twin.

or would you HAVE to have had a twin to have 2 sacs? does anyone know anything about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-18-2003, 11:23 AM

Most probably there had been a second embryo at one time...but it may have stopped growing at only a few cells large. So it depends whether or not you consider that a "twin". So yes, there can be empty sacs, I mean I have read about them...possibly they grow soantaneously, but it seems that usually there was a second embryo at the very very beginning. Myself, unless it was far enough along that you know there were two, or you deliver two, alive or not, I wouldn't worry about it. Oh, and you can have one sac inside another.
#3 of 11 Old 12-18-2003, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well i have some experience with this-
while i was in the hospital my water broke, BIG gush of amniotic fluid, kept running throughout labor. then when it ws time to push, midwife said, "umm i need to break your water..." i was like, "didnt that already happen???" she said " yes, um" and then burst the sack. another BIG gush. later she told me i must have had two sacs developed around the baby, and thats why he was thought to be so large (over ten, and he turned out to be 8'7) and why i was measuring over a bit for dates. she didnt seem to think this was weird. kiryn was never twins, i had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and one at 20, no sign of another baby.

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#4 of 11 Old 12-18-2003, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

huh

i'll hafta ask "mil" if the sacs were inside each other or not.
#5 of 11 Old 12-18-2003, 12:10 PM

Yes, I agree with Liz, she probably meant that she had two sacs that they discovered during labor. They didn't have U/S back then, so it wasn't like they were peering inside at 12 weeks and saw two separate sacs, ya know. From my understanding, we all have two sacs, its just most of them break both at the same time. My labor began with water breaking and then when I was pushing out my son, my secondary bag of waters broke. (It more exploded than broke)

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#6 of 11 Old 12-18-2003, 12:59 PM

There are two layers to the amniotic sac - one layer is the chorion and one is the amnion. Sometimes, when you get a trickle of a leak, it could be a hind leak (up high) or it could be that first layer of sac that has broken. Many times, these will reseal.

I wonder if that's what she's talking about? Sometimes women whose water has broken will find another chance in labor that the water breaks again (another layer or another bulge in the bag that has built up around or behind the baby's head).

All in all, it's also important to know that even after our water breaks, our bodies continue to make more water. I know women of my mother's era used the term "dry birth" often to describe a birth where the water broke early in labor. This is a bit misleading, as our babies are continually in water.
#7 of 11 Old 12-18-2003, 10:02 PM

It's possible for the sac to develop without a baby in it, if you're talking about a blighted ovum. The egg divides, and the part that becomes the sac develops normally, while the part that would become the embryo fails to develop. From what I've read, however, this are usually passed or reabsorbed.
#8 of 11 Old 12-18-2003, 10:41 PM

That's true, I was thinking of seeing on u/s rather than at birth. My early loss multiple sac wasn't present, late loss one was, but so was the fetus.

On thinking about it the fore and hind thing is probably what she interpreted as two. Though with some twins, one twin's sac can be fully inside the other's. Surely not the case with MIL.
#9 of 11 Old 12-19-2003, 05:50 PM

I had an anembriotic pregnancy once, meaning I had a placenta and an empty sac. So I'm sure it's possible to have one "good" sac with a baby in it and one empty one.
#10 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pamamidwife
All in all, it's also important to know that even after our water breaks, our bodies continue to make more water. I know women of my mother's era used the term "dry birth" often to describe a birth where the water broke early in labor. This is a bit misleading, as our babies are continually in water.
Not always. My water broke on monday evening, and there was no fluid around my son at all when they did an ultrasound on Thursday morning. There wasn't so much as a trickle of anything but sticky green meconium by the time he was born on Friday. It can happen that all the fliud leaks out and there's nothing left around the baby. It makes for a real pain in the a$$ (literally) as the baby is often not slippery when it comes time to push him out (hence my vaccuum assisted delivery).

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#11 of 11 Old 12-22-2003, 02:56 PM

Sorry, double post!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page