Another prenatal vitamin question: is raspberry leaf safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently started taking Rainbow Light one-a-days after taking prescription vites for more than a year. I noticed that they have red raspberry leaf extract in them. All the information I have found on this herb is very conflicting. Some say it helps tone the uterus, but others say the way it does that is by stimulating uterine contractions. There are a lot of warnings not to consume it until late in the pregnancy. Even some of the teas say on the box not to drink them until very late in the pregnancy. So, my question is: should I be concerned about the raspberry leaf extract in my vitamins possibly causing a miscarriage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 PM

I wouldn't be worried. The recommendation is 1 cup per day per trimester. The vitamins would have a safe amount in them.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#3 of 11 Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! I've heard that about the tea, but I've also heard that you're not supposed to drink the tea until the very last few weeks, as it could bring on labor, and that you should absolutely avoid it during the first trimester. I realize I might be paranoid, but what I've read has just been very conflicting, and I want to be safe.

Does anyone know if the raspberry leaf in prenatal vitamins could be dangerous?
#4 of 11 Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It can cause preterm labour/miscarriage, but so can sex or nursing while pregnant - IF you are at risk for it. If you have no reason to not have sex then you have no reason to not take RRL.

ETA: I took prenatals with RRL along with other herbs as well as evening primrose oil orally for all of my pregnancy and DS was born at 41.5 weeks with not a single contraction until early labour began 30 hours before the birth. Obviously my story does not mean it will be yours, but I hope it helps a bit.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 11 Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM

I drank RRL from 10-12 weeks on daily in my last three pregnancies. My earliest of those babies came 1 day before her due date. I drank 2 cups daily in the 2nd tri and 3-4 in the third tri.

I had two babies years ago when I didn't know about RRL and they both came early 38-37 weeks.

So you would think a woman who has a disposition of going early and even having premature labor from 28 weeks on might be at risk but NO, quite the opposite in fact.

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#6 of 11 Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my doctor's office has suggested that I switch off to something more "mainstream" just to be safe. The problem I've found with mainstream vitamins is that a lot of them have added dyes and polyethylene glycol or other garbage in them, or they contain forms of iron or calcium that don't absorb easily. Anyone have any recommendations?
#7 of 11 Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear1 View Post
Well, my doctor's office has suggested that I switch off to something more "mainstream" just to be safe. The problem I've found with mainstream vitamins is that a lot of them have added dyes and polyethylene glycol or other garbage in them, or they contain forms of iron or calcium that don't absorb easily. Anyone have any recommendations?
I don't think a prenatal vitamin would contain an herb that isn't safe for virtually everyone (too many lawsuits otherwise--particularly when you are dealing with pregnant women). Rainbow Light have a good reputation. I would personally stay away from mainstream vitamins. Most also contain lead from what I've heard.

I drank one cup of raspberry leaf tea per day per trimester with DS. I had a nice easy labor. Excessive amounts can cause problems.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#8 of 11 Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM

I say that it's not safe. I've read articles stating to avoid it in the first trimester. I'm avoiding it even now b/c I had some serious bleeding and cramping at 13 weeks.

I'd avoid it...better safe than sorry, right?

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#9 of 11 Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Dogmom - that's kind of what I was thinking. So many people take Rainbow Light, seems like it should be safe. But I can't get rid of the feeling of concern I have.

Raene - that's also what I was thinking - better safe than sorry. What vitamins are you taking?
#10 of 11 Old 02-25-2009, 03:43 PM

I've taken that same prenatal throughout 3 of my pregnancies... (on wk 36 of the third ) and never had a problem. I believe the amount of RRL in it is so small that it wouldn't have any effect.

Of course, you can always switch to another health food store brand that doesn't have RRL... Country Life, Nature's Plus, Natural Factors, etc. There should be many to choose form at your local health food store.
That way you still avoid the crap in OTC prenatals, but you won't have to worry about RRL!
#11 of 11 Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear1 View Post

Raene - that's also what I was thinking - better safe than sorry. What vitamins are you taking?
My midwife told me that prenatals are unnecessary if you are getting an adequate and balanced diet. Often multivitamins do not work as well b/c the combinations actually block out some of the absorption.

I am taking B-12, DHA, and Vitamin D (it's very cloudy here). My folic acid levels were tested recently and were off the chart. I think it's from my high intake of fresh, raw fruits and veggies.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page