Navajos do not use the term "blessingway".... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Navajo/Dine don't use the word "blessingway." They use the word "Hózhójí." Blessingway is not even a direct translation of their word.

From http://www.hanksville.org/voyage/nav...essingWay.php3
"The name of the rite, Hózhójí, is translated Blessingway, but that is certainly not an exact translation. In the Navajo language [diné bizaad] the term encompasses everything that is interpreted as good - as opposed to evil, favorable for man. It encompasses such words as beauty, harmony, success, perfection, well-being, ordered, ideal. The intent of this rite is to ensure a good result at any stage of life, and therefore the translation of Blessingway."

So basically the word Hózhójí has power. I fail to see how the loose translation of "blessingway" has the same.

Another Buddhist example. We have a practiced called PHOWA or "transferrance of consciousness." If someone made up a new practice and called it "Phowa," I would find that weird. If they had something called "transference of consciousness" I wouldn't. Make sense? "Phowa" is the power word. It has a specific meaning. "Transference of consciousness" does not. I think this is a very good example of the difference.

I hope I don't get in trouble for making a new thread. But that other thread is SO LONG

Can we just get our old one back?

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#2 of 3 Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#3 of 3 Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 AM

The most recent Blessingways Thread is alive and well in Birth and Beyond

Here is a link to it:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1046953

I'm going to close this, and feel free to head over there to talk Blessingways.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page