No-Stressor Pregnant Zen Queens - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I had my first mw appointment yesterday and everything went great. We tried to hear the heartbeat but couldn't get it...too early. I have a tipped uterus, and I've never heard a heartbeat before 12 weeks before, so I wasn't really expecting it. She said, though, that she could hear lots of blood flow and activity in my uterus, which indicates that everything is fine, and my uterus is right on track as far as growth.

The last couple of nights my nausea hasn't been too bad, but I've been getting these awful headaches that make it really hard to go to sleep. Last night after laying in bed for over an hour I finally got up and got a warm washcloth to put over my eyes to try an relax, and then I just lay in bed bawling about how bad I felt and how unhappy I am about it. Finally I fell asleep, but it was a rough night. I feel much better today. Is anyone else getting headaches? What are you doing about them (or are you just crying about it like I am? )?

Brin, wife to my best friend , mother of three . and now homeschooling!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinalicious View Post
Is anyone else getting headaches? What are you doing about them (or are you just crying about it like I am? )?
Aww Brin, I'm sorry to hear about your headaches! I haven't gotten them yet but I got them w/ DD, so I'm waiting... : I took a low dose (200mg) of tylenol if they got too bad.

Yay for the hb!!! It's always reassuring, and of course when your symptoms are torturing you, you can always think that little hb!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM

brin - Ugh, I had horrible migraines with DS started in my 5th week. Before I was pg, I had a prescription for Imitrex, but of course during pregnancy all I could take was Tylenol, which is nothing more than a placebo to a real migraine. I totally feel your pain!

The only thing that helped me was to immediately massage my neck and forehead as soon as one started coming on. If I was at work, I would shut my office door, turn out the lights, and just rub my neck as hard as I could for 15 minutes or so. If I was home, I made DH do it. That, plus a cool washcloth and the Tylenol placebo, would usually make it survivable.

My headaches disappeared after the first trimester and really never came back. I haven't had one since DS was born--and I expected to get them again during this pregnancy, but (knock on wood) it hasn't happened.

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-to-jj View Post
RavenStar - It's fun when DH gets to share a little of the pregnancy. Guys are so disconnected from the process, especially in the beginning. I loved when my DH could finally put his ear on my belly and hear the heartbeat, and then J.J. would always kick him. He would put his head on my belly and say, "Come on, kick Daddy!"

Shwarma - Good luck at your u/s!

I'm 7w2d, and my first appointment is Monday. I want DH to be there, and we'll probably have to drag DS along for lack of a babysitter. I hate the first appointment--the breast exam, the Pap, etc. I hate being poked and looked at all over. I hate sticking that transvaginal u/s probe "up there." I hate it. I am a modest person, and it's all uncomfortably invasive for me.

Has anybody ever refused a Pap? Mine have always been normal (last one was Dec 07), and I do not want her ripping chunks out of my cervix this time. Last time I had some spotting, and I just do not see the need to do it this time around.
I haven't, since this is my first, but I will be refusing it during preg. Just had one last summer, and it was fine, so there's no need til after baby. Anyway, there are a lot of false "abnormal" pap results during preg, and normally they don't biopsy during preg anyway, so they'll still have to repeat/do further testing after delivery.

IMO, better not to mess with the cervix (that's keeping my baby safe in there) when there's no need to!!

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 PM

Just found this at gynob.com:
"Not only is a Pap smear safe in pregnancy, it is considered mandatory by many obstetricians. An abnormal Pap smear discovered during a pregnancy may determine the management of the pregnancy as well as management of the abnormal Pap. Thankfully, most problems, even most severely abnormal Paps, can be managed after a normal pregnancy concludes.

"The Pap is a gentle scraping of cells from the mouth of your womb. It is far, far away from the pregnancy and even the mild spotting it can cause has nothing at all to do with the baby. The cells are delicate and it's not unusual to have a little spotting for a day or two, so don't panic if this happens.

"So yes, you need that Pap smear--it's considered good obstetrics and must be part of the prenatal care."

I love that part about how it "must" be part of the prenatal care. I am so sick of fighting this battle with doctors. When I tell them I don't want a certain test or procedure, they try to browbeat me into submission. For the brief time that may be left that America doesn't have socialized healthcare, I feel like it is my right to pick and choose what treatments I want. I feel like the same thing is going to happen that happened with my last pregnancy: I will march in there all gutsy and make my wishes known, my doctor will argue and threaten and look down her nose at me, we will make some sort of compromise, and then she will write in my chart that I am a troublemaker, and then they will all glare at my backside as I'm leaving. Sigh.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh, that whole pap smear arguement. Makes my blood boil. When I was pregnant with dd1 I had it done and it came back abnormal. Of course the dr was saying, well there's nothing we can do about it now, and more then likely it is because of your pregnancy. So I worried the whole 9 months, had it redone after I had dd1 and it was fine. So then 6 months later when I was pregnant with dd2, my dr told me. "No way do you need a pap test during your pregnancy. Especially because you just had a normal one. It will stress you out if it comes back abnormal and there is nothing we can do about it anyways." I liked that dr, unfortanetly we moved and at 26 weeks I was bullied by my new drs into getting a pap test done. I seriously threw a fit in the office started bawling and everything. (this was the nurse who was doing the bullying). The dr then came in, and said... "well we don't need to do the pap test if you are against it." We like to do them, but they aren't 100% necessary. But I caved because I always do, and let the do it anyways. The dr at least was very gentle about it and very apologetic while doing it. But still, it really pissed me off. Still makes me upset when thinking about it.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 PM

momtojj- You should just insist that you don't want it, don't cave in order to please them if you have no reason to suspect a problem.

I don't remember then doing a pap when I was pg w/ DD, but I'm sure they did (I said yes to anything they said ). This time I do want at least a swab done of my cervix, just to make sure I don't have an infection and that's what's causing the bleeding. My mother had an undiagnosed vaginal infection that caused her to PTL and delivered my brother at 35 wks. Of course she's been drilling that into my head since I started spotting!

: Girls, I have a confession to make. I've just broken the rules. I had sushi. It was only Philadelpia rolls and seaweed salad, but I feel all edgy.

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 PM

I saw the hb! Cute little fluttering hb!!! :::

Old 03-14-2009, 01:40 AM

Shwarma Hooray for seeing the heartbeat! I'm so happy for you! It sounds like you have one baby in there eh?

Mom to JJ I was really against having a pap during pregnancy for the same reason you and other women have said...I just felt like the cervix shouldn't be messed with. So I went in to the doctor with that in mind. Then they said that it had been over a year since I'd had a pap. If it had been within 6 months since my last pap I wouldn't have needed one. I got the pap smear because I felt like those were decent reasons. I left there feeling like I didn't stand up for myself. I also worried about spotting for days, which the Dr. said would have been "normal" but would have freaked me out.

I have since found out that this is what is recommended by doctors. What they don't tell you is that if you are in a monogamous relationship and have no history of abnormal paps, you don't need one during pregnancy and you only need one every 2-3 years. So go in there and tell them that. I wish I had some more facts to back myself up.

I also read that during pregnancy the cells in your cervix change so much that some women get false abnormal results. I agree with Minsca's dr with DD2 who said it would stress you out and you couldn't do anything about the results anyway.

Good luck dearie. If you really don't want/need a pap you can turn it down. It's your right as a patient.

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

Old 03-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar View Post
What they don't tell you is that if you are in a monogamous relationship and have no history of abnormal paps, you don't need one during pregnancy and you only need one every 2-3 years. So go in there and tell them that. I wish I had some more facts to back myself up.

I also read that during pregnancy the cells in your cervix change so much that some women get false abnormal results. I agree with Minsca's dr with DD2 who said it would stress you out and you couldn't do anything about the results anyway.

Good luck dearie. If you really don't want/need a pap you can turn it down. It's your right as a patient.
Thanks! I found the Pap guidelines, and I have absolutely none of the risk factors for cervical cancer. So I def feel like every 2-3 years is something I am comfortable with. I am going to march in there Monday repeating over and over to myself, "I will not be bullied!"

Shwarma - ::for your little fluttering hb!::

Got my first migraine today--after I posted yesterday that I hadn't had any yet. Figures!!! Ugh, it was the sickest I have felt this whole pregnancy. We told our families this weekend, which was totally fun! : We just had DS wearing his "BIG brother" shirt, and as soon as we took off his coat, the cat was out of the bag. Now it's starting to feel real--our parents know, and today I finally felt like crap!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the congrats guys! In true form, I cried like an emotional-wreck mother when I saw the hb.

momtojj- I feel HORRIBLE today as well. I don't know what it is. I'm taking antinausea meds but couldn't even lift my head off of the pillow this morning! It was like torture getting out of bed to fix breakfast and then I went straight back to bed. Then I got a headache. I dunno. Since we're less than a week apart, it sounds like our symptoms are right on track!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum.I'm Mangai.I'm a Indian living in US.I'm expecting my second one and my EDD is 11-14-2009. I'm very happy to join this thread.
Thanks
Mangai
Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangai View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum.I'm Mangai.I'm a Indian living in US.I'm expecting my second one and my EDD is 11-14-2009. I'm very happy to join this thread.
Thanks
Mangai
and come join us over in the November DDC (Due Date Club)!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 PM

Can you add me? I just found this thread. I'm 11 weeks today (So I'm in my 12th week?) and after today I will be officially further along than I was when I had my last miscarriage. :

The main ways I am trying to keep from stressing is by not getting an us or doppler during the whole pregnancy unless absolutely medically necessary and not doing any pelvic exams until at least 14 weeks. I don't want to worry whether those things will cause any problems or not, so I'm just not doing them. That's kind of the opposite of the way most people think, right? - but that's OK.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:52 PM

ShwarmaQueen and mom-to-jj: I'm sorry to hear you are both starting to feel yucky. ShwarmaQueen, what med did you get, or are you taking the leftover Zofran? Congrats on seeing the heartbeat. mom-to-jj, I'm glad you told all your family. It sounds like they were excited to hear about it. I hope you don't continue to get the migraines, that sounds awful.

AFM: DH and I finally cleaned our house, which makes me feel much better. I hate having a dirty/messy house and it was really getting out of control. Last night we went to my parents' house for dinner--corned beef and cabbage! I was able to eat, which was great, but I felt SOOOOOO FULL and bloated after eating only a small portion. I felt terrible afterward. As soon as we got home I took some Gas-X (which didn't help at all) and had to lay down. It seems I can only eat about 1/3 c. of any food at a time or this ends up happening. All I can say is, WTF??? My uterus is only the size of a grapefruit, so clearly it isn't pushing on my stomach very much, so why does this keep happening???? Anyway, aside from that I had a pretty good weekend. I got my hair done, but I'm not sure about it just yet. It's a lot shorter, which I like, but I'm just not quite into it yet. I'm hoping it grows on me.

I hope you all have a great week. It's finally starting to look like spring a little around here. I can't wait for the warm weather!!!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mangai and Degas.

I think the same way Degas. I haven't even set up an appointment with the dr yet : With both my previous pregnancies though the dr didn't even recommend an ultrasound until 20 weeks. In fact that was my only ultrasound with dd1. DD2 I had more as I was having so many contractions and my cervix was shortening. I'm going to do the same thing with this babe, no ultrasound until 20 weeks, unless something dictates that I get one earlier for some reason.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
ShwarmaQueen and mom-to-jj: I'm sorry to hear you are both starting to feel yucky. ShwarmaQueen, what med did you get, or are you taking the leftover Zofran? Congrats on seeing the heartbeat.
Thanks Brin. I've been taking the zofran and it's wonderful. But it's almost finished and so I'm trying to get my OB's office to give me more.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Thanks Brin. I've been taking the zofran and it's wonderful. But it's almost finished and so I'm trying to get my OB's office to give me more.
Good luck getting more of the Zofran. I'm glad it's working for you.

I think I've realized that part of my problem of feeling sick is that I haven't been able to take any of my vitamins, so I probably have low iron levels. I have been feeling less nauseated, and have had fewer stomach problems for the last week, but I feel so sluggish and weak all the time. Now that I am starting to feel better, I really want to get all the way back to normal. I just haven't been able to swallow the prenatal I bought, it's HUGE! Does anyone know how much iron is safe to take during pregnancy? I'll probably call my mw and ask her, but I wondered if anyone else has experience with this. I have had low iron in both of my last pregnancies, but I can't remember how much extra iron I took.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Welcome, mangai and Degas!

Just a quick update: I had my ultrasound, and everything is fine! The doctor was concerned when I told her my only pg symptom to date is a single migraine, but Baby is there, and the heart is beating away! DH made the mistake of telling my doctor that we heard the HB on doppler already. She insisted it was impossible and that we were hearing my HB. I didn't bother to argue with her, but I am positive that my heart doesn't beat at 140BPM. (I can pick up my HB, easily, at around 85-90BPM. I know the difference.) I also had a little fight with her over the Pap, but I did not get one today. She tried to bargain with me by suggesting that if I'm not comfortable with it at 8 weeks, I at least do it after the 1st trimester. Sigh, I said I would think about it. She acted like she'd never heard that you can go 2-3 years if your risk is low. She acted like she didn't know that pregnancy can cause abnormal results. She said she never has women in their 20's refusing it. She said any spotting I might have isn't related to the pregnancy and can't hurt the baby.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Brin- have you tried Floradix - it's a liquid iron and it actually tastes good (at least I think so) and isn't hard on your stomach. I was anemic with dd2 so I was on iron supplements, just the amount suggested on the bottle is what I needed to get my iron levels up. And Floradix didn't give me any horrible side effects like other iron supplements did.

mom-to-jj - I just want to say arghhh!!! How frustrating that must have been to hear from your dr.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know how much iron is safe to take during pregnancy? I'll probably call my mw and ask her, but I wondered if anyone else has experience with this. I have had low iron in both of my last pregnancies, but I can't remember how much extra iron I took.
At this point, I wouldn't be concerned about becoming anemic- it's still way early. It's not an issue until your blood volume increases to 40-50% more than usual (3rd trimester), but right now it's only increased about 10%. I feel like the progesterone and hCG is more responsible for my sluggishness (top it off with the sickness).

Old 03-16-2009, 05:55 PM

Sorry for the late but we're glad to have you Degas and mangai! Degas, I remember you from the TTC board. Didn't you go to the inauguration?

mom-to-jj: Oh, how exciting to see the baby!!! I'm sorry that your OB was so frustrating, but good for you for standing your ground. Maybe she just won't bring it up again later and you won't have to worry about it again. If she does, just remember that you can say "No." In fact, you could say, "I will not be having a pap during this pregnancy, end of discussion. I'd appreciate it if you would respect my wishes as an informed mother and patient and not bring it up again." I bet she'd be surprised to hear that! And, after your stomach falls back out of your throat, I bet you'd feel pretty good for having said so." JMO.

ShwarmaQueen: That's a good point about the blood volume and low iron, but if I can't blame it on that then I'm really disappointed since I thought I could fix that really quickly and not just have to wait two more weeks for the first tri to be over. Damn! Do HCG and progesterone decrease once the placenta takes over? When does that happen?

minsca: Thanks for the recommendation. I'm pretty sensitive to tastes so I'd be a little skeptical about a liquid. I can't even eat Total cereal because I can taste all the vitamins in it . However, I could probably put up with the taste if it meant being able to avoid all the fun side effects of iron. Not that I don't love being constipated and nauseated! Even though it may be too early to have really low iron, I think a little extra might just help with my energy level, and I'll try just about anything (is there an icon for being desperate?)

All of a sudden I really want Raisin Bran.....:

Old 03-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
ShwarmaQueen: That's a good point about the blood volume and low iron, but if I can't blame it on that then I'm really disappointed since I thought I could fix that really quickly and not just have to wait two more weeks for the first tri to be over. Damn! Do HCG and progesterone decrease once the placenta takes over? When does that happen?
I've read that at then end of the first trimester the hormones peak and that's when the placenta takes over progesterone...hopefully that spells relief!!! You're so close!

And just a side note, : I can't live w/o raisin bran right now!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:

All of a sudden I really want Raisin Bran.....:
That's so funny! So do I, now that I read that......:

I haven't had raisin bran since I was a kid!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:17 PM

I went to Costco after I picked my kids up yesterday and I bought Raisin Bran. It's delicious!!!! I also bought pistachios and jello. And then, that's pretty much what I ate for dinner. :

Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I went to Costco after I picked my kids up yesterday and I bought Raisin Bran. It's delicious!!!! I also bought pistachios and jello. And then, that's pretty much what I ate for dinner. :
I have to tell you as soon as I saw the words "raisin" "bran", I texted (is that a word??) ,my DH who was out with the kids, and asked him to get some. Of course, sweet man, he went to the natural foods co-op and got the organic healthy version of raisin bran. I couldn't tell him I really wanted the original! So, I ate that for dinner! :

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 PM

brinalicious - Yes, I did go to the inauguration, and it was awesome!

I haven't been craving Raisan Bran myself, but I have been craving lots of fruit. It seems to be one of the only things that is consistently appealing to me. The dinner of pistachios, jello, and Raisan Bran sounds pretty good though! I had a lunch last week where the only thing I wanted was cheese - so I ate a whole pack of sliced cheese - like 12 pieces!

ShwarmaQueen - congrats on seeing the heartbeat!

So, I think I've been able to keep my stress level down some by not doing doppler or ultrasound. However, I did get a full prenatal bloodwork done last thursday at my OB visit - after this I'm switching over to only my homebirth midwife's care. I've been seeing a Nurse Practitioner at the OB's and she is really awesome - very homebirth friendly and respectful of my choices.

Anyway, now that I've gotten the full bloodwork done, I want to know the results like, Now! I've been that annoying patient who called two times yesterday and left a message once asking if they could tell me the results. They had told me the nurse would call me, but she never did. I spent all yesterday stressing about the results - I was not able to get any work done. At the end of the day I called and found out that the results hadn't even arrived yet and that's why they hadn't called. They said the nurse would call when they had them. So today I am itching to call them, but I'm preventing myself because I know they will call me. But I am having trouble not being antsy, stressed, and I am having trouble getting any work done.

So, can you please help me not be stressed? I have tried to tell myself worrying and stressing about it is not going to change the results. I am also telling myself most likely the results won't tell much anyway, since even if I'm about to miscarry that would not show up in my hcg numbers unless I do actually start to miscarry. Telling myself those things don't seem to be helping much. Why can't I just let go and not be stressed about this given the above? I need to find a project to work on to keep me busy, but every time the phone rings, I jump at it and I just can't seem to be focused.

But at least I passed yesterday totally uneventfully and I am now officially further along then I was during the last miscarriage. I am also only two weeks away from being out of the first trimester! :
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Degas - I can't believe you are almost out of the first tri, I remember when you got your BFP and it doesn't seem like that long ago. I am sure everything is fine! My thinking is you always know right away if something is bad. At least that has been my experience with waiting for lab results. The bad results seem to come back right away and the good results seem to take forever!!

I feel like such a wimp, I seriously can't seem to take this m/s anymore. I feel like curling up into a ball and crying. Of course it didn't help that dd2 was awake from 12-2 and dd1 was awake from 1:30-3 and then DH coughed all night. So I think I had less then 4 hrs of sleep and most of them were before midnight. And of course dd1 has given up her afternoon nap most days. : that I can get her down for a nap this afternoon when dd2 naps, as I don't think I'm going to make it through this day.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degas View Post
I am also only two weeks away from being out of the first trimester! :
I'm right there with you. I really hope something magical happens after the first trimester ends...like I just wake up one morning and my hair looks awesome and I have a whole wardrobe of clothes that fit, and I feel GREAT!!!! Then, I'm going to go work out and have really great meals that I truly enjoy eating. I really need that to happen.

I don't know if you pay much attention to the articles on Mothering.com, but I read the one this morning about acupuncture when you are pregnant and I think I might seriously consider it. Has anyone here tried it while pregnant?

Old 03-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degas View Post
I had a lunch last week where the only thing I wanted was cheese - so I ate a whole pack of sliced cheese - like 12 pieces!
Oh, cheese! I have been wolfing it down like crazy. I pile extra cheese on frozen pizzas...today I grated some cheddar into my eggs and then ate slices of it while the eggs were scrambling. Mmm, warm, gooey, stringy cheese...

Hope you get your bloodwork back soon. Be sure to update us! : almost to the 2nd trimester already!

User Tag List