Wrong gender predicted at ultrasound? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week we had an ultrasound (18 weeks) and the tech told us it's a boy- she pointed to a bright reflection between his legs and said that was his boy parts. Problem is, I've been convinced this whole time that it's a girl. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely happy that the baby is healthy. I'm just having a hard time believing that it is really a boy. Has anyone ever had the tech be wrong?
#2 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
both me and my sister were supposed to be boys, but came out girls. I think it happens quite often that the tech is wrong.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM

I have 2 boys- both predicted to be boys at 18 week u/s. I know some ppl who were predicted wrongly, but their kids are all older. Everyone with more recent babies has been predicted correctly or the tech has refused to predict.
#4 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Mine were predicted correctly, but I know someone who was told she was having a girl and it was a boy, like she thought.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#5 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Boys are almost always predicted correctly because there's not much else that part could be. I've heard that very occasionally what the tech sees is a bit of umbilical but usually they can tell them apart.
There was a thread awhile back on how so many of us were convinced we were having one sex and the baby came out the other. Sex/ gender are just not something we can often intuite I think.
Have you done the ring belly test? Hang a ring in front of your belly by a thread and if it goes in circles it's a boy, back and forth a girl. It's fun and always right I hear
I was convinced ds #1 was a boy and I was right, then i was pretty sure ds#2 was a girl and I was wrong. This time I've given up on thinking i know anything about it.
#6 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 PM

I have been right about my gut feelings with each of my children.

With my first child, I was told I was having a girl. Minutes before he was born, I told my mom I was still sure it was a boy; I was right.

I say, trust your mommy instincts.

Also, I saw this one ultrasound that looked like a clear boy. The mother ended up having a girl. She still couldn't explain what was seen between her legs during the u/s.
#7 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 PM

With both of my children the US tech was correct and I knew what each of my children were before the US.

I have yet to meet someone who's US was incorrect. I hear about it on boards like this but I've never known anyone who's had it happen.
#8 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM

A girlfriend just had it happen to her! Said it was a girl at 20 weeks but a 30 week u/s (for "fun" at her FIL's medical practice) showed that it is indeed a boy! Baby is due April 20th, so we'll see in a few weeks!

Before her, I have never known anyone (in recent years- my brother was supposed to be a girl in 1981) to have the u/s be wrong!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
#9 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM

I don't know anyone personally, but I've always herd a prediction that its a 'girl' is much less sure than one that its a 'boy' - ie, they can miss that lil penis sometimes, but if they see it, its pretty much always there
#10 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM

I have a friend who was told the tech was 99% sure baby was a girl.

Well, "she" came out with extra parts. :

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#11 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 PM

I have a friend that was told wrong twice! Her 4 yr old was supposed to be a girl- came out boy. Her 2 yr old was supposed to be a boy and came out girl. I told her she needs a new OB practice!
#12 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
With both of my children the US tech was correct and I knew what each of my children were before the US.

I have yet to meet someone who's US was incorrect. I hear about it on boards like this but I've never known anyone who's had it happen.
Same here, except I only have one child.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#13 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My cousins youngest was supposed to be a girl.

I've only had ultrasounds with 2 of my babies and they were both within a week of birth. 1st time babe had her legs pulled up. second time she said maybe a girl but she couldn't really tell, but she was right.

My midwife has been right with all 5 of them using the heartbeat theory.

#14 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM

my u/s with ds predicted a girl. so much so that when he was born the doctor was used to saying daughter/girl with me that she was lifting him up to me and said "would like to hold your daugh-SON!" as she i guess saw between his legs

with my dd, we were told they were pretty sure she was a girl, but because of my experience with tig, i didn't completely believe it, lol. with ds i had taken a pretty white lacy/frilly outfit for her to come home in , and mil and dh went to go buy somethign else for our little boy. with dd, i took a girl outfit AND a boy outfit for coming home in, lol.

i'll likely be having several u/s with this one, so i figure if they all indicate a one gender, i'll probably believe it.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#15 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veiledexpressions View Post
I have been right about my gut feelings with each of my children.

With my first child, I was told I was having a girl. Minutes before he was born, I told my mom I was still sure it was a boy; I was right.

I say, trust your mommy instincts.

Also, I saw this one ultrasound that looked like a clear boy. The mother ended up having a girl. She still couldn't explain what was seen between her legs during the u/s.
On the flip side I was so sure #3 was a boy and told everyone I would be shocked if she was a girl like the tech had said. Well, she's a girl!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#16 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 03:21 PM

I do know 2 people who's u/s were incorrect but it was because the tech said "well I can't see anything so it's a girl" and they were boys. With my u/s with girls we saw the girl parts.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#17 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 PM

The only time I've ever known someone to be told wrong was when a tech told them boy at like 13 weeks. When they went back later, they were told girl. Very early on, they basically look the same. At 18 weeks, it's pretty obvious. If she saw a penis, there is normally a penis. I think most of the mistakes come from when they don't see anything & assume girl, just because they don't see anything when really the penis is hiding or they just didn't get a good enough view.

I know how you feel though. We were convinced this baby was a girl, but come US day it had a penis. We have a picture where we were shown the penis, but it looks nothing like our other DS's ultrasound picture, where it was very obvious to us that we were look at boy parts.
#18 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 05:33 PM

If the u/s tech clearly sees boy parts at the same time she sees the umbilical cord, then chances are very slim the tech is wrong. I think there is more likely to be a problem if the u/s tech guesses girl because there were no visible boy parts.

With my u/s, we saw the penis from a few different angles (profile and between the legs.) And we even saw the umbilical cord lit up (when they check to see the number of veins) at the same time we saw a penis. So there is no question in my mind whatsoever it is a boy.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#19 of 22 Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 PM

My best friend had one of her three predicted incorrectly. She was shocked at the delivery!! Totally shocked. And of course her husband had to run upstairs and start re-painting the pink bedroom!! They laugh about it now, which is good

Mama to DS 10/06, DD & DS 08/09
#20 of 22 Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 AM

With my first daughter, I had numerous techs tell me that I was having a boy. I was told this up until I was 24 or 25 weeks pregnant. I was told by my OB sometimes it can take a little longer to make a difference between girls and boys. But on the other hand, I found out DD2 was a girl at 15 weeks or so. In my opinion, it not only depends on your baby's development, but the tech's eye as well.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#21 of 22 Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM

One of the students in my Hypnobabies class had 5 ultra sounds that showed she was having a girl. That made her son quite a shock when he arrived. That was in 2006.

My friend had two ultrasounds showing a little girl, (but the first was very early - around 14 or 15 weeks, so I don't really count it - the second was her level 2 at 19 weeks). She had another u/s at 28 weeks, and was surprised to find out her girl had "turned into" a boy! That was in 2007.

It definitely can and does happen, though not that often.
#22 of 22 Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM

At 18 weeks I suppose it's still possible it could be a girl and they can't tell. When I was pregnant last time I was pregnant with a girl and they could tell it was a girl at both 14 weeks and again around 19 weeks. There were 3-lines between her legs, VERY distinct lines. So it's obvious if it's a girl. Did you get u/s pics that you can show us that show that area?

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page