Movies to avoid watching while pregnant - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wanting to read The Birth House again lately, but I'm not so sure I should, what with the two or three deaths... It's got a great recipe for groaning cake though, so maybe I'll dig it out and just read that part

Interestingly, the book Midwives fascinated me more than scared me. I was 17 and I hadn't realized their was an alternative to hospital birth... I applied to a Midwifery Education Program a few months later (didn't get accepted though...boo!)

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#62 of 67 Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM

The Joy Luck Club had me bawling last pregnancy (one of the women drowns her baby). I was not at all expecting that.

Also, The Time-Traveler's Wife. I've only listened to the audiobook, but I cried HARD (not even pg) when she kept miscarrying.

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#63 of 67 Old 03-06-2009, 01:46 AM

I think I just about woke my husband and ds from laughing at the David Bowie/pants/Labrynth comments. I *LOVE* that movie, and just might have to watch it tomorrow!

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#64 of 67 Old 03-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Here's my list (and I really dislike the newer crappy horror flicks too):

The Omen + all sequels
It's Alive + all sequels (wow, those were actually really crappy movies too)
Syriana (stopped watching it right after the pool scene--shudder--I have a son)

If you don't want to dehydrate yourself crying, avoid all sad or heartwarming movies. I can't even talk about the end of Michael Moore's "Sicko" without welling up. I loved "Juno", but I thought it was very unenlightened of them to have the classic hospital birth scene (complete with old-school stirrups), I would NEVER subject a little girl to that kind of birth.

I think we should all watch nice lighthearted romantic comedies and really low-brow comedies (like "White Chicks" or "Austin Powers"). Just try not to have an accident if you laugh too hard.
#65 of 67 Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Revolutionary Road (watched it last night)
Yup, made that mistake when it first came out and I bawled through the whole thing. It was TERRIBLE!

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#66 of 67 Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomacts View Post
I watched Eraserhead while pregnant and wish I hadn't (malformed baby) but really, it was just a really weird movie and no one should EVER watch it.
Haha, I watched Eraserhead while pregnant too! I had some weird dreams afterward, but other than that I was fine. I guess because it was so bizarre. I liked it though!
I also watched Nightmare on Elm Street 5: the Dream Child while pregnant, but, uh it was so bad and ridiculous that it didn't have much of an effect on me. Now THAT is a movie I wouldn't recommend to anyone! Unless you are just in the mood for a bad horror film which happens to me sometimes so I understand.
I'm with other people that said TV is the worst. Nothing really scares me too much, but things sure do irritate me! I would assume most soap operas (sorry, I can't help myself!) would be bad if you are either upset by bad outcomes or annoyed by over-the-top pregnancy/birth stuff because there is almost always something horribly wrong with the mother or baby (or both!) and it frequently seems as though someone just read a list of pregnancy symptoms and put ultra exaggerated versions of every single one of them in the script.
#67 of 67 Old 03-12-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
I went in to The Changeling (pregnant) thinking it was going to be about a corrupt police system and a woman fighting to be heard even though she was a woman. I don't know what I thought about the little boy.

I was so sickened and disturbed by that movie, that I couldn't sleep for a few days. I wanted to walk out, but they kept making it seem like they were going to find him, and I just wanted to see a happy ending. Wish I'd known it was a true story, and I would've looked it up ahead of time and stayed away.

Same here! I really have a hard time leaving a story in the middle and need some kind of resolution.....but seriously, there are images and ideas in this film that I really wish I could get out of my head. I wasn't prepared for the brutality or the turn the story took with the serial kidnapping/killing.
It's really so very disturbing.... so very heartbreaking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page