Movies to avoid watching while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Without going into plots of movies and why you would avoid them...which ones would you not watch while pregnant or wish you hadn't watched while pregnant.

For me it's:
Rosemary's Baby
Revolutionary Road (watched it last night)
Last King of Scotland
The Hours

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#2 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 PM

Definitely avoid The Other Boleyn Girl (I think that's what it was called - Scarlet Johannson and Henry the 8th?).
#3 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

I actually thought Rosemary's Baby was so ridiculous it amused me (and I am a wimp when it comes to horror movies), although, I wasn't pregnant when I saw it.

I was once told never to see Jersey Girl if you're pregnant, I think the mom dies in childbirth or something like that.

The thing that I think you should avoid isn't most movies (usually birth is your average medicalized birth and they don't ever really say if the woman had an epidural or whanot, although they always act like it's this dire emergency), but virtually all tv shows about birth. Including but not limited to Birth Day, Pregnancy For Dummies (yes they turned that into a short series), Maternity Ward, A Baby Story, Bringing Home Baby, Deliver Me, and ESPECIALLY Babies: Special delivery. Actually, just avoid discovery all together when it comes to pregnancy and you'll be fine.

They have done like, one show on normal birth which they called, ironically, "extraordinary births" and that was alright, and I think they once filmed some births at a birthing center in Flordia, but overall, it's to be avoided imo. Even if you don't plan on having a natural birth, shows like that will just scare you.
#4 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post
Definitely avoid The Other Boleyn Girl (I think that's what it was called - Scarlet Johannson and Henry the 8th?).
I didn't think that movie was that bad. I don't mean it was "great" but I'm sure you know what I mean. lol.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#5 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm thinking of movies that aren't obvious that they might effect you in a bad way.
I watched Rosemary's Baby while not pregnant and found it quite funny, but because of the 70s creepiness, I'd avoid it now.

The other movies I listed aren't so obvious to avoid, they either have creepy pregnancies, abortions, botched abortions or the mamas are portrayed as crazy while being pregnant.
Watching them just put be in a weird and fearful mood, and its not emotions I really want to have while pregnant.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#6 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM

I agree about the TV shows... My sister won't watch them with me anymore because I yell at the screen... I get even more angry when they formula feed right away!
Oh, but there's one really good one called Desperate Midwives, it's about a group of midwives in England who operate out of a hospital/birth center. It's actually really good, they do alot of beautiful birth center and home births as well as hospital ones, and you actually see them talking women out of inductions and epidurals and stuff.
I saw this one the other day, a home birth, and baby was having some really serious decels, they called for an ambulance but it was slow. So the midwife just said to the mama "You need to have this baby in 3 pushes!" and she did. The baby was born blue but the midwives sprang into action, saved the little boy, and cancelled the ambulance. Then it cut to the next day, mom and baby are in bed nursing well. It was lovely
As for movies, I don't really watch them, although I'd heard to avoid Jersey Girl too...

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#7 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Junebug: stillborn baby

I love watching Juno while pregnant, but it makes me bawl like a baby.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#8 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:52 PM

I watched Eraserhead while pregnant and wish I hadn't (malformed baby) but really, it was just a really weird movie and no one should EVER watch it.

Desperate Midwives sounds awesome!! Is it on in the states? I would love to see a show where it wasn't so formulaic. Induction, crash C-section, formula. Repeat as necessary. All the natural birthing moms look insane.

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
#9 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 PM

Hand the Rocks the Cradle -- EWWWW!

busy mama to four
: : : :
#10 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomacts View Post
but really, it was just a really weird movie and no one should EVER watch it.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#11 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 PM

The Changeling - I couldn't watch it and I wasn't pregnant at the time! I can't imagine watching it if I was.
#12 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Cloverfield on a big screen if you're suffering pregnancy nausea... I'll say no more.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#13 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM

My mom talked a lot about watching Rosemary's Baby when she was pregnant with me. (It was when it was originally out at the theaters, must have come out in 1968.) She said it gave her tons of nightmares. It probably was high tech cinema then and not campy.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#14 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM

I believe it's called AvP Resurrection.

DP's older son insisted on watching this while I was preggo, but there is a scene in a hospital where the creature implants a bunch of alien babies in all these pregnant women. Yucky.

Mama to Smith, born 7/13/2008
#15 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM

Anything horror is no-no for me. I seem to get even House MD in my very vivid dreams. They have always been vivid but the rate in pregnancy is ridigulous.
#16 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Sophie's Choice. Not only when pregnant, but once you have children. NEVER watch this movie.
#17 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
The Changeling - I couldn't watch it and I wasn't pregnant at the time! I can't imagine watching it if I was.
Watched it last weekend! Oh, it was emotionally intense for me! I kept telling my husband- they'd lock me up too! I would be **HYSTERICAL** if anything. ever. happend. to. my. son!

I still can't watch the 300. I tried when my ds was just a baby, but when they sent that poor little boy out in the wild to "survive" I just couldn't take it.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#18 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM

Oh, and there was a good show on about the Miami Maternity Center- it was called House of Babies. Midwives, water births, natural births in a home-like center. I *loved* it!

But I'm not sure if it's still on.

They have a website about the show!
http://www.houseofbabies.com/about.html

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#19 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 PM

My best friend and I just talked about a preview she saw the other day.
http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-s...e-on-the-left/

Why in the hell would ANYONE want to watch this? Pregnant or not? I don't understand what people see in movies like this AT ALL. sick.

Yeah, I find just about EVERYTHING ends up in my dreams in a vivid way. Its ridiculous.

DH watched FLIGHT PLAN the other night. I was like "NO THANKS!"

My lama says our minds are like gardens, and while its good to be entertained, its important to consider what we want to "plant" in there. I think its good advice. I used to watch all kinds of crap when I was a kid (horror movies) and now I'm soo much more sensitive to them. But horror movies then were NOTHING compared to the sadistic stuff thats out there now (SAW, House on the left, etc.) Just plain twisted.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#20 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomacts View Post
I watched Eraserhead while pregnant and wish I hadn't (malformed baby) but really, it was just a really weird movie and no one should EVER watch it.
ROTFL Yes, I think a blanket warning should be put on David Lynch movies for anyone pregnant, emotional, excitable, or otherwise.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#21 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 PM

what a great thread!

when i was PG with DS and we still WENT OUT to movies, ha ha ha ha

we saw "pan's labyrinth" which turned out to be not only ultra violent, as a bonus it had a horrifying death in childbirth/agony labor scene and ended with the death of a child.

whoo! that was a great one. not!

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#22 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM

Heh-- I watched Pan's Labryinth when not pregnant, and absolutely loved it (although cried at the end).

Don't know if I would feel the same way in current emotional state.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#23 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
My best friend and I just talked about a preview she saw the other day.
http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-s...e-on-the-left/

Why in the hell would ANYONE want to watch this? Pregnant or not? I don't understand what people see in movies like this AT ALL. sick.

B
Oh man, are they remaking that movie?? The original was pretty awesome, the parent's revenge was spectacular, but I hear you about these sorts of movies, garbage in, garbage out!

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
#24 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say Pan's Labyrinth too.

Also, nothing to do with pregnancy, but definitely about sacrificing for your child: I'm fairly sure were I to watch Dancer in the Dark right now I'd get so hysterical I'd go straight into labor.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#25 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM

I wish I had warning on The Bridge to Terabithia before I watched it the other day! OMG! I went into it thinking "Good family fantasy movie" HA!! Balling my eyes out with absolutely no warning what so ever that something bad was going to be happening. Parents should not watch this movie, especially pregnant ones. :

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#26 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrl View Post
I wish I had warning on The Bridge to Terabithia before I watched it the other day! OMG! I went into it thinking "Good family fantasy movie" HA!! Balling my eyes out with absolutely no warning what so ever that something bad was going to be happening. Parents should not watch this movie, especially pregnant ones. :
oh man, I know. read the book. Its one of my favorites of all time (the movie with its special effects killed the simple story IMO). but don't expect not to bawl. but I still think its one of THE BEST books of all time.

DH and I read books on roadtrips and sometimes I just read outloud to him while he drives. I was literally sobbing at the end. He was like "are you ok?" hahaha.

I've loved that book since I was in elementary.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#27 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 PM

I wish I hadn't watched Slumdog Millionaire.

I cried during the movie, sure, but afterward, walking to the car, I sobbed and sobbed. and sat in the car sobbing some more.

Yes it's a happy movie in the end, but he loses his mommy at one point and it just kills me to think about it.
#28 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM

ohhh, the mention of Pan's Labyrinth reminded of another movie by the same filmmakers called The Orphanage. Definitely not one to watch while pregnant. The ending is very sad.
#29 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I actually thought Rosemary's Baby was so ridiculous it amused me (and I am a wimp when it comes to horror movies), although, I wasn't pregnant when I saw it.
I agree! Silly movie, and no payoff at the end (you never get to see the baby). Turns out my due date is the same as hers in the movie, heh!

I can't think of any movies off hand to avoid. Some of those Discovery Health Channel shows make me cry, especially the ones where the mother notices the baby is no longer kicking, and she has to go through labor & delivery to have a stillborn. So incredibly devastating.

"The decision to have a child is momentous because it is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.''
#30 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
I went in to The Changeling (pregnant) thinking it was going to be about a corrupt police system and a woman fighting to be heard even though she was a woman. I don't know what I thought about the little boy.

I was so sickened and disturbed by that movie, that I couldn't sleep for a few days. I wanted to walk out, but they kept making it seem like they were going to find him, and I just wanted to see a happy ending. Wish I'd known it was a true story, and I would've looked it up ahead of time and stayed away.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page