Tribe for pregnant and over 35? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 437 Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Jen

I guess I could tell you all a little about myself. I'm not sure how much info to give. I'm 8w4d. Planning to have my 2nd homebirth. I've been nervous about this pg because I haven't had any symptoms other than the obvious, no AF and + hpts (many ). We were actually tta but dh forgot his role in that so here we are.

My dh will most likely not be home for this birth. He wasn't home for the birth of ds3, either. Although I would prefer that he be home, it's not that big of a deal if he's not. I can do it without him. At least this time around he'll just be in another state so he can come home to visit a few times rather than being in Iraq with minimal communication.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you all. You can get the gist of my family from the siggie. Oh, I'm still breastfeeding my just turned 2yo, who is also in the process of learning to use the toilet. Thank goodness because I so don't want 2 in diapers. Can't wait to get to know you all.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#302 of 437 Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 AM

I should prob join too- I'm 38 and due w/#2 very end of Nov.

I have HG so my activity level has been nonexistent. but I'm hopeful that in 4-8w I'll be feeling better. and if not, well I'll be 1/2 way done!
#303 of 437 Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Welcome to the newbies, and sorry about the HG Doberbrat. That is rough. Does Unisom (doxylamine succinate version) and B6 work for you? I used it in all 3 PGs and it works great for me!

Jen, I am sorry that you have to be on bedrest darling. My colleauge is too, she is 29 weeks.

Sun is shinging here today and for once I am not solidly booked with meetings! And it's Friday! And my sacra-iliac joint now longer hurts!! All is good with the world for me today.

(Touches wood)

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#304 of 437 Old 06-13-2009, 09:26 AM

What is HG?

Nice to know all is good with the world.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#305 of 437 Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
What is HG?

Nice to know all is good with the world.
hyperemesis maybe? I'm thinking that's what it is since it sounds like it's associated with vomiting or nausea. I was told to take the combo of Unisom and B6 earlier in the pregnancy when the morning sickness was bad.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#306 of 437 Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 AM

I am 37 (will be 38 when baby is born) with my 6th baby in November. My other children are 19,17, 14, 6, and 3.

Other then an US I am not having any diagnostic tests done.

So far pregnancy is going great. Though I do think I have felt more tiered this time around.
#307 of 437 Old 06-13-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Am I still the oldest here at the moment? I am 42 and this is my 3rd baby.
eh, it's all relative. I'm going to be 41 by my EDD in September. This is my 3rd baby too, but 4th pregnancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch
I am really having a hard time w/ weight too. I had lost 63lbs after Innish. Lost all left over after Eiley then I was pregnant when shje was 3m/o, after just reaching prepreg, but still desired to lose another 50 or so pounds. Now I have put on 36 pounds at 28 weeks. The most I have ever gained in pregnancy w/ a single baby. I am pretty bummed and waffle between being ok w/ it to feeling freaked out.
I know the feeling. I lost 40 lbs two years ago doing Weight Watchers. With this pregnancy, I have already gained 27 lbs. Even though I was around 100 lbs when I first got pregnant - on my short frame I look waaay bigger than I am! My arms have cellulite so tank tops look horrid on me, and I won't even discuss how I look below the waist. I'm only 25 weeks along and I don't know how I'll make it for another 15 as far as my weight goes. ugh. I keep reminding myself I can take it all off later. I did it before and I can do it again.

#308 of 437 Old 06-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
hyperemesis maybe? I'm thinking that's what it is since it sounds like it's associated with vomiting or nausea. I was told to take the combo of Unisom and B6 earlier in the pregnancy when the morning sickness was bad.
Oh, ok. I already take extra B6, B12 and folic acid (above and beyond my prenatal) because I have a double mutation on my MTHFR gene that can interfere with folic acid absorption. I've been worried about the lack of m/s with this pg and have to keep reminding myself that I'm on the B6.

I'm not planning to have any diagnostic tests, either, except an u/s around 30w if my MW insists. She probably will just to make sure the placenta isn't attached to my c-section scar. That's what she told me with my last pg, anyway. My first appointment with her is this Friday so we'll discuss that stuff then. I figure none of the test results would change my desire to have this baby so there's no need for taking the risks involved.

A nurse friend of mine who works in an OB/GYN practice told me about an OB/GYN she knows who lost her baby from an amniocentesis performed by one of the most capable perinatologists in the area, northern Virginia, which is a very rich area with many, many docs so being one of the best is a big deal. Not like in my little podunk town where there is only one perinatologist.

I'm struggling with the weight thing, too. I was a pretty good weight when I got pg with ds2 at 33 and ds3 at 36, just about 5 lbs overweight. However, I gained about 50 lbs with both! When I was pg with ds1 I started out at 105 and gained only 30 lbs (which was considered too much cuz that was back in the day when everyone was only supposed to gain 15-20 lbs.) so I was 135 at 9 months pg. With this pg, I started out at 140, which is way overweight for me. I'm only 5 feet tall and my ideal weight is around 110.

I'm hoping I don't gain more than 20 lbs this time around but I have a feeling that won't happen. I have all these grand plans about walking on my treadmill and doing my prenatal yoga every day but something always gets in the way. I am not good at limiting my food choices, especially while pg. I tried a few diets in the past and found that I did well on them but as soon as I stopped them and went back to my regular eating (that made me happy) I gained even more weight back. I'm not talking about crazy diets, either. I'm talking about WW and Nutrisystem. And, of course, it gets easier and easier to put weight on and harder and harder to take it off as I get older. I just have to keep in the back of my mind that in about 4 or 5 years I'll have more time to take care of myself.

#309 of 437 Old 06-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Elliesmomma, the risk goes up slighty after about 43 weeks is what I've read. Have you read Henci Goer's book? You most likely won't go that long, but please don't let your OB scare you into an induction before 40 weeks, that's insane. It probably has more to do with her personal schedule than any real risk. Hope others pipe in with some common sense as well. All my kids have been born after 40 weeks, and all were fine. My longest was 42 weeks one day.
Went for a run today, still feeling good, if slow. Bought some tunic style tops that can belted after pregnancy and am looking for some leggings, capris to go with them. I loathe maternity clothes! So expensive and for such a short period of time. I know I will have to break down and get some pants or leggings at some point, but I'm hoping not until Sept. since I'm due in Dec. Maybe I'm dreaming! Right now I just look like I have no waistline. Oh and the BOOBS! I had to go buy new bras already. After I lost all my weight I was down to a 34 C or B depending on the bra. Now I'm back to a D cup . I hate the big boobs part, I feel so matronly. The worst of it is I have gained exactly 2 lbs, but it's all in my boobs.
Okay that's out of my system, I feel better. Thanks for listening!
Veganmama, I'm 41, will be 41 and 2/3rds by the time baby is born. Looks like you're the champ! Hey that's a good thing, you are inspiring all those TTC over 40.
#310 of 437 Old 06-14-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
hi ladies,

wanting to talk with others, especially over 40. my doctor today told me that she recommends induction before 40 weeks b/c risk of stillbirth and C-sections goes up after 40 weeks. is this true??

i'm pounding the water this week. last week's ultrasound showed lower amniotic fluid levels (though still within normal range). i'm also trying to rest more.

we did a bunch of major house projects, and our elderly dog just died. all prevented my rest/good sleep for the past month or more. i'm hoping to have good amniotic fluid once again after this week of R&R.

how are you all doing?

Elliesmom do not let them scare you into an induction. When I was pregnant the doctor miscalculated my due date and the last 3 weeks were miserable because of all the pressure to induce. From what I recall from my extensive research back then, the risk from induction is very high as you are more likely to need a c-section. I think the risk of prenatal mortality goes up after 42 weeks. But don't qoute me on that fact. but they can monitor the baby regularly and reduce the risk level that way without inducing just because they think the baby should be born by a certain date.

Also as for the low amniotic fluid I was just reading dr. Sears pregnancy book (arrived after my m/c of course, lol) and he mentiones amniotic infusions. They can infuse saline into the amniotic sac if the fluid level is too low. I don't recall exactly what it was called but can look it up if you need it.

Best of luck.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#311 of 437 Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 PM

sorry HG = hyperemesis gravardium (i think thats the right sp?)
translation for me, you puke all the time no matter what home remedy, otc or other natural treatment you get.

including vit B/unisom. it helps a bit but I usually cant keep it down. together, seperately or sequentially. btdt

and just when I think I'm feeling a bit better, it hits me over the head like a sledgehammer - been in bed all weekend. its 3:30pm and I'm not even dressed. poor dh!
#312 of 437 Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I'm struggling with the weight thing, too. I was a pretty good weight when I got pg with ds2 at 33 and ds3 at 36, just about 5 lbs overweight. However, I gained about 50 lbs with both! When I was pg with ds1 I started out at 105 and gained only 30 lbs (which was considered too much cuz that was back in the day when everyone was only supposed to gain 15-20 lbs.) so I was 135 at 9 months pg. With this pg, I started out at 140, which is way overweight for me. I'm only 5 feet tall and my ideal weight is around 110.
we are in similar situations. I'm under 5 ft tall and my ideal is around 100 lbs. I start looking overweight when I'm sitting at 110 lbs. I hate it. I've always wished I was taller. I wish pregnancy caused some women to grow in height, kinda like it makes some women's feet get bigger.

#313 of 437 Old 06-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Ugh, Doberbrat. I'm sorry you are going through that. Don't worry about your dh. He's a grown man. He needs to be taking care of you. And here I am complaining that I don't have any m/s at all. It makes me nervous that I'm going to find out I have an anembryonic sac or an embryo that stopped developing at 6 weeks or something like that.

WRT to early induction, when I was pg with ds2 when I was 34 my OB wanted to induce me at 38w because he said I had GD. I refused but did agree to weekly stress tests, which equated to monitoring the heart rate and activity of the baby for 15-30 minutes (can't remember now exactly how long). I would not allow the nurses to zap me with the thingy they had if they thought baby wasn't active enough. I was having contractions the whole time for 3 weeks or so. The nurses kept asking me if I felt them, which I did, but they didn't hurt. I guess they thought I should've been complaining.

By the way, they also had my edd something like a week and a half earlier based on my lmp than the one I set based on my conception date so, to them, I was 41+ weeks and waaaay overdue when I finally had ds, who was fine and never showed any signs of stress on the monitors. I didn't conceive until cd30 of my cycle and by that time they working back they already considered me 4w pg when I wasn't even 2 yet. Can you imagine if I had let them induce me at what they said was 38w? My baby would've been born borderline preterm at 36.5w or something like that.

Did you read the article posted about the lie of the EDD? It's very interesting. Shows how completely ridiculous and inaccurate the 40w EDD is. It also shows how inaccurate dating ultrasounds are, which I know a lot of people rely on these days to give more accurate dates. It says that most normal, healthy pregnancies that are allowed to progress without interference go to 40w5d in first-time moms and 40w3d in multipara moms. The best way to calculate your edd is to know your conception date. If you don't chart and, therefore, don't know your conception date, to calculate your edd substract 3 months from your lmp then add 15 days if you are nullipara and 10 days if you are multipara. I know my conception date and when I did this my edd was only 3 days later. I found that interesting since I've gone 40w+1-2 days with each of my 3 live birth pgs.

Ok, enough of my ramblings.

#314 of 437 Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 AM

Hi All, Just found this thread and thought I'd join. I'll be turning 41 a couple of months before having my third baby in early October (was 31 and 34 with the first two). I had a nuchal fold screen but no bloodwork, went for the amnio despite normal nuchal results because DH wanted the info and it was covered by our health plan for women 37 and over. The most traumatic thing about the amnio was anticipating it; the actual test and recovery were fine and the results are chromosomally normal. My intuition also says that this baby is just as healthy as our first two; she moves around vigorously and regularly to keep me posted on her wellbeing.

I'm finding pregnancy at this age to be pretty much the same as in my 30s. Except that I'm lots more relaxed and enjoy my 1-2 cups of coffee a day and eat as much fish and unpasturized cheese as I like. (If you eat it all the time before becoming pg, why would it hurt you now?)

Having two older children makes this pg a lot of fun -- they enjoy following my development and progress, plus they keep me active even when I feel tired. We went to a waterpark and down the big waterslides dozens of times a couple of weeks ago and camping this past weekend (including a hike and easy river rafting). I still ride my bike around town daily as I always do, although I'll probably stop that soon because my center of gravity is shifting.

This was my one and only "surprise" conception (I chart), and it took me a few weeks to get accustomed to the idea (plus I was terribly tired at the start), but now we're in the swing of things and looking forward to meeting our new LO.

So that's my intro -- good to be here and hope I can offer support and friendship.

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
#315 of 437 Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
And here I am complaining that I don't have any m/s at all. It makes me nervous that I'm going to find out I have an anembryonic sac or an embryo that stopped developing at 6 weeks or something like that.
I don't think I've posted in this thread - I'm 36 and pg with #2 (due in Feb).

So far I feel totally normal with no real pregnancy symptoms (except feeling hot). I was so sure that this pregnancy would be so relaxed - I was sure this time I wouldn't be worried about silly things, but here I am, a total OCD basket case. I dread having an u/s for fear of finding an embryo that stopped growing.

I'm also sure that I've been too hot during this stage in the pregnancy - you know, the hot tub/sauna thing, except I haven't been in a hot tub or sauna. I'm sure I just forgot to drink enough water and got overheated and the baby will have spina bifida or something similar.

I don't know why I can't just relax and enjoy the pregnancy - I think age might have something to do with it. Maybe I don't trust my body, or maybe I thought I'd have it more "together" at this point in my life. So much uncertainty! So little control!

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#316 of 437 Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Hey everyone!

I can't believe I am 34w2d!! Not feeling that well today. I am hoping I am just overly tired. DH has a job interview today and has been studying for 2 weeks so I am in single parent mode every night and weekend.

Plus I just started running again after 5 weeks of bad sacra-illiac pain.

It is tough when you are 23 lbs above your normal weight, LOL!

However, my tongue is white so I may be coming down with something.

Welcome to the newbies!

#317 of 437 Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
I can't believe I am 34w2d!! Not feeling that well today. I am hoping I am just overly tired. DH has a job interview today and has been studying for 2 weeks so I am in single parent mode every night and weekend.
for you~

I wish I was as far along as you are. I can't wait til this little one gets here.

#318 of 437 Old 06-15-2009, 03:33 PM

hi ladies...welcome to all the new moms! i'm so glad there are others out there going above and beyond AMA.

want to send get well wishes to vegan and labor vibes and pleasant and happy birthing to ellie'smom!!!

i have my 1st appt with the MFM tomorrow and i'm nervous, excited, scared, anxious, giddy, hopeful, freaking...hormonal wreck basically sums it up. please let me have a long cervix. please. please. please.

weight gain. bleh. i'm at least up 15 lbs and bedrest won't help me not gain weight. i still have to eat, just not as much but ALL of it seems to be going to cushion my ever expanding BUTT. my boobs are growing, too and my newish bras don't fit. i don't want to buy MORE bras that i will wear once/ week to go to the dr. they don't seem to have sports bras or anything cheap in size 40-42 DD/E. urgh.

i hope you all have a great day!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#319 of 437 Old 06-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Hello! I am 36 and pg with my third. My older two are 6.5 and 3.75. I do feel pretty tired this time around, but I did the first 2 times as well. I don't really plan on any genetic testing unless something strange comes up on the 20 week u/s. This will be my first midwife attended birth rather than an ob as well. But, I figure since I did my first two w/o epidural, I can do this one too. Good to meet all of you!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#320 of 437 Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM

Hi all -
Am just learning how these threads work - I'd like to join. I'm 37, 12 weeks into this, and I may be 38 by the time the big event comes along. Will be #1.
#321 of 437 Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
I have questions for those of you that aren't planning on anymore children after this pregnancy.

are you planning to use birth control?
husband getting a V?
are you getting a tubal?
I don't think I've posted in this thread before...

I'm 41 (as of two days ago). My fifth, and last baby, will be arriving by scheduled c-section on the 26th. I'm also getting a tubal.

DH would be willing to get a vasectomy, but I decided to take care of this on my end. My thinking is two-fold:

1) I'm not having any more children, under any circumstances. While my body does well in pregnancy, my reproductive history has been awful. I've had four unwanted c-sections, several years of secondary infertility (never explained) after ds1, three m/c and a stillborn son. I'm AMA (as everyone here), and obese. I'm on my fourth pregnancy in under 7years (dd is 6). As I don't want anymore, and am becoming really concerned about risks to both me and future babies, due to the scar on my uterus, I want to make sure that I can't have anymore...even if I did something insanely stupid while I was drunk (I don't drink - just an example) or were raped, or whatever. I wouldn't abort a baby, so...getting the tubal. Nobody in my family has ever gotten pregnant after a tubal, so I'm moderately optimistic about its success.

2) I can see circumstances in which dh might decide to have more children. While it sounds morbid, there's no guarantee that I'm going to be around forever. If I got hit by a bus or something, I see no reason for dh not to be able to have children. He doesn't have the risk factors I do, and he's very fertile, so it's very likely that he could. While it's not terribly likely that he would, it's still an order or magnitude more likely that he may want another child one day than it is that I would. So...no vasectomy for dh.

I'm sick of condoms.
I'm never going back on the pill - it messes up my libido.
I'm edgy about IUDs.

So - a tubal for me, it is.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#322 of 437 Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 PM

welcome lisa, anita, and jill. congrats!!!

i'm also opting for a tubal, after much consideration. i can't do this again!!!

here's my update from the mfm. typing with one hand is getting tough!

back from mfm

bedrest...week 2....continues.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#323 of 437 Old 06-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Ladies ~ I just want to say goodbye. I won't be coming here for a while, I think. I just got back from getting a scan and my baby did not have a heartbeat. Also, it was only measuring 7w6d even though I'm about 10w3d. So, now I'm just waiting for it to pass.

#324 of 437 Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Ladies ~ I just want to say goodbye. I won't be coming here for a while, I think. I just got back from getting a scan and my baby did not have a heartbeat. Also, it was only measuring 7w6d even though I'm about 10w3d. So, now I'm just waiting for it to pass.
I so sorry for your loss.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#325 of 437 Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 PM

hugs marine wife!

bedrest...week 3!

#326 of 437 Old 06-25-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry for your loss.

#327 of 437 Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 AM

Thanks everyone.

#328 of 437 Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I'm so sorry MarineWife. This is such a difficult thing to endure - hugs to you.

Do you know if you'll be getting a D&C or you'll be waiting for it to pass naturally?

MC #1: 12/05; MC #2: 1/09 Mama to our first that arrived 11/2/09
#329 of 437 Old 06-26-2009, 11:49 AM

s Marinewife. I am so sorry for your loss. Just a word of caution when I had my m/c last month the thing that caught me off guard was the hormonal roller coaster that I was on until I got some herbs from my TCM provider. It has taken me about 5 weeks for my hormones to even out. Without the herbs I felt really out of whack emotionally. That was not something I was prepared for. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#330 of 437 Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 PM

MarineWife, I am so sorry. I had 2 losses last year, the second was very similar. U/S at 10 weeks revealed the baby had stopped developing at 6w.
Much peace, love and strength to you mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page