Tribe for pregnant and over 35? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 432 Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to my 20 year high school reunion last weekend fully expecting to have the youngest kid and be the only one pregnant. There were 3 of us with babies on the way and my cohorts had a lot of three year olds (my dd's age.) I guess it isn't so unusual after all. (This was a graduating class of 100 and about 40 of us there at the reunion. (All girls school.))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 432 Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Welcome new mamas! I am now almost 36 weeks here, cannot wait to meet baby #10!

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#363 of 432 Old 07-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Hi! I'm 37 and wil be 38 when baby bean joins us! I haven't thought too much about my age and pregnancy, hopefully there won't be problems associated. I haven't seen a dr/midwife yet so do they classify you as 'high risk' cauase over 35?? I don't feel high risk!

DS1 born when I was 29
DS2 born when I was 34
Surprise baby comes when 38
#364 of 432 Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM

My midwife does not consider me high risk. I am 42 and this is baby #3.

I am 40w5d and she still is not freaking out. I know some OBs do as they believe "older women's" placentas don't function as well in later pregnancy.

i think that is malarkey. My 2 other placentas (at age 35 and 36) where VERY healthy looking.

And i ran 5K yesterday and have done so the whole pregnancy so I am pretty sure my placenta got lots of nice extra oxygen!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#365 of 432 Old 07-30-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I usually like to wait until 12 wks to tell anyone, however, my children know me well enough to tell when I am pg. So, this time we told them about 8 wks.
same here. I think I was about 8 weeks myself, maybe a little less even. I can't remember, but I got pregnant in Jan and we told them some time in Feb.

DH and I wish that we took pictures of the children when we gave them the news. The expressions on their faces are still engrained in my mind and I wish I would have captured that moment somehow.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#366 of 432 Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
And i ran 5K yesterday and have done so the whole pregnancy so I am pretty sure my placenta got lots of nice extra oxygen!
wow. You go mama!! I do good at 31 weeks along to walk from one end of the house to the other without getting out of breath.

#367 of 432 Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
My midwife does not consider me high risk. I am 42 and this is baby #3.

I am 40w5d and she still is not freaking out. I know some OBs do as they believe "older women's" placentas don't function as well in later pregnancy.

i think that is malarkey. My 2 other placentas (at age 35 and 36) where VERY healthy looking.

Do you mean that ran a 5K while 40w5d pregnant?? You have to be super woman!! I know if you've done it all through your pregnancy as well as before it's not a big deal, but.....Wow!! I've done the nordic track for years as part of my exercise routine, but now at only 6w I've had to lower tehe level greatly. I know once I'm past the 1st tri I'll get more back to normal, but I have to say I'm impressed with your endurance!

Oh, yah, good to know that I likely (hopefully) won't be high risk! Thanks.
#368 of 432 Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
Welcome new mamas! I am now almost 36 weeks here, cannot wait to meet baby #10!
: another awaiting number 10! The only safe place to not hear "why don't you get that taken care of " (Many pregnacies) Is amoungst those who are still having them Please to meet you.

veganmama: I am still in AWE! I have been "exercising" if you can call it that and I hurt everywhere. (checking the time on your post because I want you to be in LABOR!) Where are you--I'll come strip your membranes LOL

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#369 of 432 Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 AM

This is really a cool place to get to come and chat with those expecting #10! I wonder what it would be like to get us all in one place at one time!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#370 of 432 Old 07-31-2009, 09:14 AM

Just sticking my head in to say hi to all the moms that have joined the thread recently.

I'm 33w2d and counting down. Kids are really excited about the coming sibling.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#371 of 432 Old 08-01-2009, 01:20 AM

I had the nice man sitting next to me on the plane yesteday tell me that I was "pushing it" to be pregnant at 41 and expect a good outcome. I just laughed and said "really?" I told him that I think it has way more to do with health than age. I have had three uncomplicated pregnancies, three natural births, two at home and the last one unassisted. I have friends who are younger than me and pregnant who are in rough shape-high blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight, etc. and they are having a difficult time. I fully expect a healthy baby and a quick recovery based on my health before getting pregnant. I tend to ignore all that high risk stuff as n/a in my situation.
Veganmama, good for you on running 5k! I hope to get back to running soon, now that my allergies have settled down. I am 21 weeks now and feel great, just couldn't breathe while exercising due to pollen and such.
#372 of 432 Old 08-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Congratulations Zonapellucida and others! How cool that there are 3 moms on her expecting #10! What an amazing wealth of knowledge and experience you will have to offer those others of us only on #3! Tell me this, do you find it a bit easier having older kids around as they can understand things better and help out a bit? I am finding that to be true with my 2. They are cool with mommy taking a catnap if she is tired, or picking stuff off the floor for me because I don't feel like bending over.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#373 of 432 Old 08-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmamma View Post
Tell me this, do you find it a bit easier having older kids around as they can understand things better and help out a bit?
I don't have 10 children but I can say that it's easier. That's one area that I don't have to stress in while expecting a new baby and being an 'older' mom. My children, ages 14 and 7 can more than take care of their own needs. The 7 yr old still needs help with some things but the older child can help her. I will be able to focus on baby.

#374 of 432 Old 08-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Oh my goodness, when is this child going to get here????

41w today. I am now 9 days more PG than I have ever been before!

Thank you for all your sweet words about my running. However, for the record, it is very slow running, looks ridiculous and is punctuated by lots of walk breaks

I cannot believe a stranger made comments about being PG at 41! The nerve!

My mom met a 9 month pregnant 52 year old this week! Natural conception too!

My neighbour walked by the other day and said "you still haven't had that baby yet? He's going to be an awful size!"

Yeah, thanks lady. Like that hasn't crossed my mind (DS was 5 days early, weighed 9 lb5oz and had shoulder dysocia).

Gosh people can be stupid and insensitive!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#375 of 432 Old 08-01-2009, 05:23 PM

I do hope your LO decides to join the world soon! I know what that LONG wait it like when they decide to come "late". And no matter how "normal" it is, it is a wait!

Maybe your LO will come tonight!

#376 of 432 Old 08-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Tell me this, do you find it a bit easier having older kids around as they can understand things better and help out a bit?
It is AMAZINGLY easier! There is always another hand to hold a fussy baby. Always another hand to grab a diaper. Always another hand to "grab him before he grabs the glass". And so on.

I can actually cook a meal or mop the floor without pulling my hair out.

Some one can entertain the baby, or help dress the toddler, or find the shoes that are "lost" in the toy box. There is always someone around to play with (a VERY important thing for youngers). And always someone around to talk to (a very important thing for olders).

I think it is so funny when the "baby" get old enough to participate. Like yesterday when my two Youngers (7 & 5) decided to "run" back and forth through the house "to feel the wind on the back of their necks" (they just got a hair cut). And so they were making their laps running, and the LO started following along, "running" as fast as his little legs could move him. It was such a sight. Then the baby begins to "bark" as he is trailing them.

That is just so cute!

#377 of 432 Old 08-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
This is really a cool place to get to come and chat with those expecting #10! I wonder what it would be like to get us all in one place at one time!
CRAZY! I love having minions to rule LOL

although feeding them all is expensive!

vegan: come on baby!!!!!

welcome Ella 6--My 6th is named Ella :LOL

"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#378 of 432 Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 PM

Hang in there Veganmama! I had my first go 11 days past dates and my second 15 days past date. My last was only 5 days past dates, but I'm fully expecting to still be pregnant past 40 weeks this time around too.
That's amazing about a 52 yo naturally pregnant woman!! I hope she wanted to be pregnant.
I am hoping too that having an 11, 8 and 5 yo will make the postpartum period easier. They are very excited and hope that translates into helping out with the baby or the little things around the house, but I am planning on hiring a house cleaner as soon as we move into our new place because my dh will be working in Quebec while we live in Alberta. I will have my hands full just with baby, laundry and feeding people, and don't plan on exhausting myself washing floors and toilets.
#379 of 432 Old 08-02-2009, 01:31 PM

need to share my belly

10th week bigger than I have ever been in any pregnacy and I am doing sit ups. HMMMMM

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...weeks2days.jpg

#380 of 432 Old 08-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonapellucida View Post
need to share my belly

10th week bigger than I have ever been in any pregnacy and I am doing sit ups. HMMMMM

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...weeks2days.jpg
That is a gorgeous picture. Do people forever make comments to you about "how small you are for having so many kids"? I'm only on baby #5 but I've not gotten a single "don't you know what causes that?" kind of dumb questions, but about a dozen "how do you stay so thin?" comments. I always say it's chasing around all those kids that keeps me thin. Anyway, that is a lovely picture!

I'm 35 but had my first when I was 17. She just turned 18 yesterday! So, that means that she & this baby in my belly are going to be further apart in age than I am from my mom.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#381 of 432 Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 PM

vegan...I hope your baby decides to make his/her exit soon!

zona...you look just gorgeous! I wish I looked that good.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#382 of 432 Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM

Wow, zonapellucida, your belly is so cute! What great skin you have! I can't believe you have had nine kids, what a bod!
I have a sore throat, I sure hope it doesn't lead to a cold. What's good to boost the immune system while pregnant?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#383 of 432 Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 PM

How envious I am of all of you with so many children already. I am 36 and will be 37 when my first arrives. I am glad I waited till I found the right partner.....and perhaps 3 or 4 close together isn't out of the question.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#384 of 432 Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM

Thanks ladies. I have heard many times that there is no way I could have carried 9 children to term. I bet this is the one that ruins my "perfect" skin I am already watching for stretch marks since they have seen fit to leave my belly alone. Noone can be that lucky. And I do hear "how do you stay so think" UMMM I've nine kids!

#385 of 432 Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Oh yes! Many hands make light work here.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#386 of 432 Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Oh yes! Many hands make light work here.
Tell me the secoret of not having to repeat yourself 20000000 tuimes? I swear it is easier to do it myself half the time because I don't have the energy to rally the troops

#387 of 432 Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Tell me the secoret of not having to repeat yourself 20000000 tuimes? I swear it is easier to do it myself half the time because I don't have the energy to rally the troops
I do have to repeat myself to little ones, but training I have found works best. I do not repeat to older ones past 4-5, otherwise there is a consequence. It would be rude if I ignored my child and the same holds true for my child to ignore me. It is about manners IMO.

#388 of 432 Old 08-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
need to share my belly

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I weighed 98 lbs when I got pregnant in January of this year and didn't "appear" as thin as you do after 9 kids.

#389 of 432 Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I do have to repeat myself to little ones, but training I have found works best. I do not repeat to older ones past 4-5, otherwise there is a consequence. It would be rude if I ignored my child and the same holds true for my child to ignore me. It is about manners IMO.
hich 'training'

#390 of 432 Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 PM

On another list someone was telling me that it is not uncommon for first time mothers over 35 to have trouble with the pelvis being fused and not opening correction during labor. I've not hear of this and am not finding much on it. Has anyone heard of this?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page