Tribe for pregnant and over 35? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 437 Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there one? I tried to search for one but this place is SO big!
#2 of 437 Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 AM

moving to i'm pregnant.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#3 of 437 Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM

I'm 36! Just over the hump! Would love to share concerns & insights with those other mamas with "old lady eggs". I'm on baby #3 and overall I feel everything should go as well as the first two pregs & births & children, but nothing is guaranteed. At any rate, I'm in and would love to hear from other wise women...

Mama to : Savannah (12/16/2002) & Bruen (3/19/2005). The H = Jason :
Baby #3 Drake (10/21/2009) :
#4 of 437 Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 PM

Me! I was 36 one whole month before getting pregs! My first was born after I turned 30--late starter I guess:0)
I'm not feeling at all high risk either. I have my first MW appointment on Friday the 13th (da dum!) I will be 9 weeks then...so, I shall wait and see what she thinks/says!

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#5 of 437 Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Hi you guys, I'm 41. Nice to meet you! :

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#6 of 437 Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 PM

I'm 36. I'm not how it happened, though.
#7 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 AM

i'm 37, and was 35 when i had my ds.

my midwife doesn't consider my age a factor, neither do i really. there is a history of later pregnancies in my family (my grandmother had her 1st at 33 and last at 47 for example). many of my closest friends have just started their families as well (all late 30s and older), i actually don't even know anyone in their 20s with children and i have friends in the 22-55yr old range more or less.

just don't call me grandma when you see me with my son

good idea for a thread!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 AM

i'm 40, will be 41 soon and this is baby #2 for me.

question for all: are you doing any testing ie, NT scan, blood screenings?

#9 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post
Hi you guys, I'm 41. Nice to meet you! :
I'll be 41 by the time this little one is born.

It's nice to see others in my age range on here.

Is this going to be the thread for us?

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#10 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Can I join? I'm 35 now but will be 36 a month after this bean is born.

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#11 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 AM

I am 35 and will be 36 when this one comes along. I am currently living in Europe and apparently AMA isn't nearly as big a deal over here!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#12 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM

I am 41 and will be 42 before this baby is born. There was a thread for over 40 preggo mamas at one point. I posted on it during 2 of my 3 pregnancies last year but it seems to have dispapeared now and besides many of you are younger than that so I think this works better.

I was 35 and 36 when my 2 other kids were born so I have never been anything BUT an "older" mama. So I can't really say whether it is "ahrder" to be PG when you are older.

The only thing harder for me this time around was actually getting, and staying PG.

I had 2 early losses in 2008 and then got Pg with this baby on Hallowe'en.

I am 19w5d and feel great. I ran home from work last night (about 3 miles), I do yoga twice a week and work out with a trainer once.

My risk of Down's in this PG is apparently 1 in 670 so I have forgone the ammnio.

My "big" ultrasound is this afternoon.

Nice to meet you all.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#13 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 PM

I don't have any plans to do the "old lady" tests...

Nice to see you all here! Hey veganmama!! Didn't know you were 41!! Way cool! Looking forward to "hearing" about your u/s today :0)

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#14 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 01:27 PM

I'm 40, I hope to have the baby on my 41st birthday! I'd like to see this tribe keep going.:

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#15 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
I was 35 and 36 when my 2 other kids were born so I have never been anything BUT an "older" mama. So I can't really say whether it is "ahrder" to be PG when you are older.
I was 27 and 33 when I had my older children. I'm not that far along yet but so far I haven't noticed anything different. If anything the m/s feels much worse but it may have very well been this bad with the other two and I just don't remember.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#16 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM

oh darcytrue! Yours are spread out too... Most people that I'm near have children all so close together and they just think I'm so strange for having another so far apart from the first... I think it's pretty funny, they all have three in diapers and one barely out of diapers (4 under 4!!) and they think I'm crazy! LOL!! To each their own :0)

#17 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM

I will be 37 next month. Not doing any old lady testing either. My MW laughed when I asked her if she was concerned about my advanced maternal age. It made me feel better!

Maria :, mom to 4 cuties with 1 sweet hubby
doula, childbirth educator and midwife wanne-be!
#18 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 PM

I'd like to join! I just turned 38 and will be having baby #2 fairly soon (I hope). I had heard of some people my age having Down's babies, so I was pretty spooked with this pregnancy until I got the nuchal fold testing (w/ the first round of blood tests). The results were fantastic, so I decided not to get the AFP because I had absolutely no intention of getting an amnio. I have several friends and relatives who have had healthy, normal pregnancies into their early 40's, so I think docs are so risk averse that they scare us into believing that over 35 is too old to be having babies.
#19 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 07:36 PM

i'm really on the fence about the NT scan and blood work. i'm 12 weeks, so it's decision time. i have a NT appointment scheduled for next week, but am considering cancelling it. a big part of me says don't go looking for trouble. i can't see aborting for downs syndrome, and my understanding is that the other worse conditions are exceedingly rare.

i am a big worrier, so i'm really much more concerned about getting a negative, even a false negative, and being consumed with worry for the next six months. also i have the feeling that the baby, if god forbid he/she was affected by downs, it might be better off not knowing until the birth. but i'm not 100 percent convinced of that either. just that my husband might handle it better at that point, versus thinking about the possibilities now. and of course any negative test invites further testing, ie amnio. i just really am not made up my mind on this topic!

last pregnancy i was 37 and did do the bloodwork but nothing else. i had a lower risk of downs then, than would be expected for my age at the time, and that made me feel good.

for what it's worth, i don't feel worried at all about my pregnancy. i have a generally good feeling about it, think all is well, and am expecting another trouble free, uneventful pregnancy.

#20 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM

I'm 36. This is my 6th baby. My kids ages are: 19, 17, 10, 7, and 5. I started young...

For this baby I have only had the NT scan, as far as the AMA screenings. I did have a fetal cardiac echo done because I'm a T1 diabetic. Also, because of the diabetes, the AFP or quad-screen or whatever you call it is actually not recommended because diabetic blood skews the results (or something to that effect the peri told me). I also opted out of the amnio since my Down's screen from the NT came back at something like 1:3400. I'm not worried, nor would we have aborted.

I've been released from the perinatologist to just see my OB for the rest of the pregnancy. I do have to have another fetal echo at 32 weeks. Other than that, everything looks really good.
#21 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 PM

I'll join in. I'm 35, will be 36 when babe comes. This is #3 for me: ds is 8yo and dd is 5.5 yo.

I'm passing on all of the genetic screening tests. Debating skipping the GTT. Don't plan on any US. Debating whether or not I will go to the hospital when the time comes (plenty of time to decide yet). My biggest worry is that I will not get the type of care I want due to my age and weight (never mind that I weighed more when pg w/ dd). Also looking at moving states in mid-pregnancy - so will be changing care providers regardless. I would just go w/ hb mw, but $$ and the move make it not the best of options currently.

I go for my first appointment next Tuesday.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#22 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
i'm really on the fence about the NT scan and blood work. i'm 12 weeks, so it's decision time. i have a NT appointment scheduled for next week, but am considering cancelling it. a big part of me says don't go looking for trouble. i can't see aborting for downs syndrome, and my understanding is that the other worse conditions are exceedingly rare.

i am a big worrier, so i'm really much more concerned about getting a negative, even a false negative, and being consumed with worry for the next six months. also i have the feeling that the baby, if god forbid he/she was affected by downs, it might be better off not knowing until the birth. but i'm not 100 percent convinced of that either. just that my husband might handle it better at that point, versus thinking about the possibilities now. and of course any negative test invites further testing, ie amnio. i just really am not made up my mind on this topic!

last pregnancy i was 37 and did do the bloodwork but nothing else. i had a lower risk of downs then, than would be expected for my age at the time, and that made me feel good.

for what it's worth, i don't feel worried at all about my pregnancy. i have a generally good feeling about it, think all is well, and am expecting another trouble free, uneventful pregnancy.
I understand your hesitating with regard to the testing. I was TERRIFIED to get testing done because I didn't feel pg symptoms until much later and I had convinced myself that something was wrong. I was relieved to get good results. If you get the nuchal fold testing, you will have more reliable test results that are way less invasive than just getting the AFP later, being scared by a false positive, and then feeling compelled to get an amnio. I think knowing early if there is a potential trisomy gives you time to figure out what is the best choice for your family, and to learn and prepare so that you can give a developmentally disabled baby the best life possible.
#23 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 PM

i rescheduled my NT scan appointment for four days earlier. this made me "feel" much better about it. after reviewing the dates, i realized that the original appointment put me in the 14 week range, whereas they want to do you when you are 13 weeks. this is because my actual due date is about 4 days earlier than the due date i was assigned. (i took the later due date in order to be less likely to get induced at the end, etc. -- but for the purposes of this test, thought best to be as accurate as possible.)

they said it was a good thing i called to change it.

so i guess i'm in for the NT scan.

#24 of 437 Old 03-05-2009, 10:55 PM

: noodlegirl and Dmitrizmom
it's certainly nice to meet all you mamas
i'm 37!
don't know if i should open up this can of worms but how do they figure your odds for downs.....i do worry a little about this but i'm really trying to keep it cool. i'm undecided about the tests as of yet. anybody else worry a bit?
#25 of 437 Old 03-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Octobermom, in Canada they give you your odds for Down's and spina bifida based on the results of something called and Integrated Pregnancy Screen. it is an ultrasound (including a nuchal fold measurement) and a blood test somewhere between 11 and 13 weeks PG (has to be the same day) and then another bloodtest 3 weeks later.

Mine came back as 1 in 670 chance of Down's wheras the "average" result for my age (almost 42) is 1 in 60. I decided to forgo any further testing. Those results are acually lower than for my other two kids that I had in my mid thirties.

I did have a gross anatomay u/s yesterday mostly to find out gender. My DD was small-ish (6 lb 9 oz) and my son was pretty big (9 lb 5 oz) and had huge shoulders that got stuck during the descent. I pushed for over an hour and nothing happened. Finally I got him unstuck and pushed him out 1.5 hours later. However, his shoulders would not come out within the time frame (3 minutes) so they were just getting ready to break his clavicle when I managed to get him out.

My midwife has some concern that if this is a boy and he is as big or bigger than my DS that I might not be able to get him out. DS's birth was pretty scary.

Anyway, it is a boy. So I will have another ultrasound closer to the date, which I have never sone before. Hopefully to put our minds at ase about the size of the baby.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#26 of 437 Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 PM

thank you for the info veganmama. and good luck with your boy!
#27 of 437 Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 PM

You can get odds in a number of ways. There are the generic odds for the average women of your age. At 37 it is around (but don't quote me on this) 1 in 180. You can get a more individual risk analyis by doing either a nuchal test, an AFP test or other bloodwork, or you can combine the NTT and bloodwork for susposedly more accuracy.

I am not a big fan of the bloodwork alone, or even the bloodwork with the NTT. The bloodwork has a history of being quite flawed, especially the AFP, however the combination with the NTT does seem to help. Personally I don't do any of them, but clinically if someone wants risk assesment then NTT with or without blood work is the best way to go.

Maria :, mom to 4 cuties with 1 sweet hubby
doula, childbirth educator and midwife wanne-be!
#28 of 437 Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 PM

hello! i'm usually a lurker on the boards, but thought i'd join this thread too! i had my first ds when i was 34 and am having a second in june.....just turned 38. i did the first trimester screening but have not gone back for anymore. i did have the big ultrasound, but have only seen my midwife ever since. i feel about the same as i did the first time around......a little more aches and pains maybe...hehe.....but all around it's a healthy pregnancy :-)
my friends are starting their families later as well......in their 30's....nice to meet all you mamas!!
#29 of 437 Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Hi everyone, I would like to join your tribe too. Like Jaspermama – I had my first child when I was 34 and will have my second when I am 38 (my birthday is in April). Most of the time I don’t really think about my age, unless my younger DH reminds me!

Blissfully married to my DH since 2002 ~
Mama to DD J born October 2005 & Expecting DD L August/September 2009!
#30 of 437 Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Hello! Great to find this tribe!

I'll be 38 later this month. I'm due in September. I had my first at 35. I'm bypassing the tests too, probably just an US at 20 weeks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page