Belly button ring during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have searched in the forum but I can't seem to find anything about this, but my search words may not have been the best, so I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before! (if it has, please simply refer me to the past thread!)

I'm only 5 weeks along, but it has just dawned on me that I have a navel ring! (I've had it for close to 14 years, so I don't really notice it anymore, the way you don't really notice your toes or your elbows)

I've always imagined that I would have to take it out when I got pregnant, but now I'm hearing about these pregnancy rings you can get. Anyone can tell me where to get them? I'm guessing I would have to go to Montreal for this!!

As for taking it out, I'm ok with that, I am not absolutely attached to keeping it, but I am concerned that the skin stretching the hole would make so aweful scaring. Like I've said, it's been there for close to 14 years, so the hole will not close over, at least not before my belly starts to grow! Now having said that, if I do take if out (or even if I go the pregnancy ring way) when do I have to change it?? Does it have to be soon or can I wait till the 2nd trimester? Or even 3rd?

What did you do if you had a navel piercing when you got pregnant?? Did you get scaring? (I'm more concerned about scaring then loosing my ring, to be honest!)

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 09:43 AM

I have one, too!

No worries- you def. don't have to remove it. What you DO need to do is buy a longer barbell- which can be hard to find. With a longer barbell, the skin will be able to stretch without causing pain around the piercing.

Here's the one I bought:

http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=5

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#3 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
What you DO need to do is buy a longer barbell- which can be hard to find. With a longer barbell, the skin will be able to stretch without causing pain around the piercing.
:

I'm 9 month pregnant right now, third pregnancy, and kept my navel piercing through all three pregnancies. I just replaced the ring with a barbel.
#4 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 AM

I had one while pregnant with DD. I didn't get a special pregnancy ring, but did get a barbell instead of a ring. I kept it in right up until the end, but then it was getting caught on clothing and really bugging me, so I took it out shortly before I was due. I lost part of my jewelry so never really put it back in (I did try once and it wasn't really working, despite having had the piercing for close to ten years prior). I don't have any scarring. Some of the skin is still stretched out between the top hole and my navel, but a lot of the skin on my stomach is still stretched out too!!! I don't think the navel ring had anything to do with it!

No worries.

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#5 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM

I've had my ring for 19 years and I've taken it out during all 3 pregnancies when my belly started being out far enough to bump things (6-7 months).

I've put it back in all 3 times after babe was born with no issues.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#6 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 12:57 PM

I have one too, and took it out when I was about 22 weeks? maybe I was a little further along than that, I don't remember. My only stretch mark on my belly though is right where the belly button ring is - but its barely noticeable to anyone but me. Once it fades (my baby is almost 8 weeks) it won't be noticeable at all.

I've had mine for 5 or 6 years, and the hole didn't close up, but it did need to be washed out occasionally while I was pregnant cause it got kinda gross (sorry, TMI)

I know there are pregnancy barbells that you can get that are plastic and flexible but I don't know where to get one.
#7 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 01:02 PM

I took mine out during my first pregnancy; I, like you, had had it for so long and wasn't particularly attached to it anymore. I just left it out. No scarring or anything weird here!

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#8 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 PM

http://www.shop.bellybuttonringsandt...1?categoryId=2

http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=5

i just took mine out with DD at 4 months and never put it back in. even now. it just didnt fit me anymore. i couldnt keep it from catching on stuff anymore either.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#9 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 PM

I think it really depends on how irritated your belly gets. It is ok to have in. I had mine through 2 pregnancies and then with my 3rd I took it out around 7 months because my chiropractor got a negative reading on the scar tissue underneath and wanted to treat it. After I took it out I stopped having this weird panic feeling but it could have been a coincidence.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#10 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 02:21 PM

I've had mine in for 5 years without taking it out, I'd do it if it became uncomfortable though but it never has.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#11 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM

I had a tummybutton ring for 10 years, and I just last week took it out. Not for any reason other then it was just irritating me. It's a gold curved barbell with a diamond that dangles off the top. It was getting stuck on my clothes too much.

So I am going to put in a plain barbell, just because I miss it
#12 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 PM

Just lurking on the board and saw this post. A friend of mine started a company when PG with her first 7 years ago ... it may be of some help!

www.pregnancypiercings.com

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

#13 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM

I used one of those surgical-grade plastic barbells for my pregnancy (about 2" long). I put it in sometime mid-second trimester, as my regular barbell was feeling too tight. It worked great. I'll definitely use it again this time.

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page