Short term disability before due date? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have experience with going on short term disability before your due date? I still have a long way to go, but was wondering how hard it is to get put on disability a week or two before the baby is due - I would think most midwives/OBs would be willing to take a very pregnant mama off of work to let her rest up before the birth!
#2 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 01:36 PM

In my state and at my job, you can go out on maternity leave whenever you want. I will go in April since I am moving in May but this way I can keep my insurance till the move. But I only get the 6 weeks at partial pay and I pay my premiums for insurance. But if all you want to do is go off a couple weeks early I can't imagine anyone having an issue with that.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#3 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 PM

In Canada, you can go on Medical leave before your baby is due. Last pregnancy I was working a retail job on my feet for 8 hours a day. I physically couldn't do it once I got to 6 months pregnant so I got extra (paid) time off, plus my year (paid) Maternity leave.
I just needed a doctors note.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#4 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 02:32 PM

I'm not able to go out of work until I'm in labor, even with Short-Term. The reason being is that I have to have a medical reason to be on STD, and I've had no complications. If I had been here a whole year, I could use FMLA (unpaid) to leave early, but I don't qualify that until a month after my due date. :

It is sooo tough to get any kind of break for having a baby in the U.S. One of my coworkers told me that her former boss (a man, of course) told her that being pregnant was "no worse than a man having a headache" and wouldn't let her leave early.

-
#5 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
One of my coworkers told me that her former boss (a man, of course) told her that being pregnant was "no worse than a man having a headache" and wouldn't let her leave early.
boy is he clueless!

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#6 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Try to get the STD forms and see if they need an actual diagnosis or not. It might depend on the company. My midwife had no problem filling out the FMLA forms for me so I could start using sick leave about 2 months before my due date. They didn't need a reason, she just had to say I was unable to work.

I was embarassed to ask her about it since I physically had no problems, but she said her philosophy is if someone feels like they need to stop working, they probably do. Even if it's to get more rest or work is too stressful.

I can't believe you're still working Luna. I think we have the same due date (didn't you have a Father's day conception too? ) and I'm barely able to walk at this point.

mom to DD 3/09
#7 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM

wow with ds i was going to school to and my ob had no problem giving me a note and i was on maternaty leave from school and work for 1 1/2 months before ds came (he was 2 weeks late)

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#8 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 PM

I think the last two times it was considered "standard" in my state to stop working two weeks before your due date, and they started counting your time off work from then. If I'd needed to stop working earlier, I could have asked my midwife, but I think there for state disability there has to be a medical reason (ie complication) for it to start more than 2 weeks before you were due and go longer than 6 weeks after the birth.

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#9 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM

In California disability starts 1 month before your due.
#10 of 12 Old 03-07-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshund mom View Post
I can't believe you're still working Luna. I think we have the same due date (didn't you have a Father's day conception too? ) and I'm barely able to walk at this point.
Yep! I can barely walk, either, but my job is at a desk, so... yeah. Still, I have to walk really far from the parking lot to my desk, and from my desk to the bathroom 20x a day. I have no choice b/c my 1 year of service isn't until a month after my due date, so I don't qualify for FMLA until April, thus my job isn't protected unless I just go out on STD for an actual complication or being in labor.

-
#11 of 12 Old 03-07-2009, 10:24 AM

most non-state insurance providers will require a valid reason to pay short term disability before the birth. If you are fine and can work they will not pay out your claim.
Unless you are in a state which has state maternity coverage or additional time off standard FMLA would apply (which kind of sucks)
You can go out on FMLA if you have 1 year of service but be prepared that you only get 12 weeks total. So if you take 2 weeks off before and hte baby is 2 weeks past due you have wasted 4 of your 12 weeks and if you do not return to work at 8 weeks your job can legally replace you. It might be worth a conversation with your HR person to see what options you have.

If you have sick/vacation time you may be able to augment your leave with sicj and vacation time and ask for time off before the birth. It depends on how your company administers leave if they will count it as part of FMLA.

That being said I was 9 days late with DS and worked until 41 weeks. While yes you get uncomfortable in the end the sitting and waiting once you due date arrives would have made me loose it so it was nice to have something to do. I plan on doing the same this time around. I will work either until I go into labor or until 41 weeks which ever comes first. I may take advantage of the more relaxed work from home oppertunities we have at this company but that is about it.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#12 of 12 Old 03-08-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliansmom View Post
In California disability starts 1 month before your due.
And if you're having complications where your doctor requires you to leave work (as recently happened to me) you can qualify for CA state disability even earlier. It pays around 55% of your salary.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page