Post partum plan (for hospital stay)... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-08-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I was searching for threads with ideas on what to include on a plan for my post partum recovery in the hospital. I have not had any luck. I want to post certain info/requests on our chart or baby's bassinet. I am having a planned c/s due to medical reasons, and have the delivery part covered. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM

My first request would be to make sure Dad goes with baby at all times. It is just so sad to see those babies in the nursery without a 'known' person~

Whatever you want for 'procedures' you have you need to state on the BP.

Ie:

Hep B
Vit K
Circ
Bath
Sugar water
Bottles/Formula/Pacy

I have heard of some who were able to have the dad keep the bay in the recovery room with them~ Maybe you will be so lucky~ When i had my last(3 weeks ago) I kept seeing women coming to Post Partum Ward without their babies~ Made me really sad I am not sure if they wanted the break or if they had no idea they could tell the staff no!

HTH's
Melissa
#3 of 10 Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch, Melissa. You list reminded me of a couple things I forgot. I also added a request to limit the staff visits to my room to only what was absolutely neccessary. With my last baby, I had a string of residents come in asking me the same questions and checking the same thing...at all hours!
#4 of 10 Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM

LEmama,
Just specify "No Residents"--this could be useful during your surg. as well since they often use residents and med students to finish stitching you up and if you're opposed to that, you should mention that. Otherwise, you should be able to coordinate with your nurses about scheduling afterwards. Ask them to put up a schedule of when pain meds, vital signs, blood draws etc are due so at least you are aware. Expect very frequent vs and fundal checks in the first 24 hours, which may be very difficult to negotiate away.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#5 of 10 Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM

I was a postpartum nurse for many years...here are my suggestions...

Have a birth plan. Call the hospital and meet with the postpartum nurse manager before the surgery to review your birth plan. Many people don't realize that the L&D and the postpartum floors are run differently and no one on postpartum will see your birth plan until you arrive on the unit, unless you make sure they do. Don't be confrontational, rather try to get the nurse manager from postpartum on your side...e.g., "What do you suggest for a successful c/s recovery?" "How can I best use the resources you have available to successfully recover, breastfeed, bond with baby, etc."

Plan on having the Dad spend then night in the hospital with you the first night because some hospitals will not let a "fresh" (defined and 1st 12 hours after surgery) c-section keep the baby in the room alone.

Plan to breastfeed the baby in the recovery room, write that in your birth plan and insist that the baby not be taken away from you until you have held him/her and had a chance to initiate breastfeeding.

If possible (and yes, there are some hospitals out there where it is possible) don't let the baby be taken to the nursery at all!

Discuss with your provider the plan to keep you pain free after surgery. This is a delicate balance as you absolutely need to be pain free but don't want medications that will interfere with breastfeeding (assuming you are planning to breastfeed). I remember some patients insisting on no post surgical pain meds because they wanted to breastfeed, but the pain was so strong initially, they could not successfully breastfeed anyway. There is a balance of for appropriate post surgical pain medication so speak with your doctor before surgery to develop a good plan.

Ask for, no, insist on a breast pump for the first night, in the event that you cannot breastfeed the baby for some reason. If you cannot manage to use the pump alone that first night, get help from a nurse. Don't let them give you any attitude about this

You will need to remain in bed for a certain number of hours after the surgery. How long depends on your doctor and your hospital. Discuss this with your doctor before surgery. You want to get up and around as soon as possible. One they let you, start drinking water. Lots and lots of water There is a lot of focus on the first urination after a c/s.

Walk, walk, walk. Get up and walk around asap. The more you walk the better. Believe it or not, gas pain can be worse that surgical abdominal pain. You need to get things moving again, and walking really helps. Elizabeth Nobel, in her book, Having Twins, has some great postpartum exercises for after a c-section that you can begin on day one. You may want to pop into a book store and peek at those.

Room-in. Keep the baby with you as much as possible.

I totally agree with pp cileag about the "no residents" but in many teaching hospitals this can be very difficult. If you have a boy and are getting him circumcised (we did not do this fro our DS but I know some people do) DO NOT let anyone but a senior resident do the procedure. The horror stories I can tell you about interns and early-in-training residents attempting circs. Ugh. Usually, a senior resident performs more circs that most OBs so you are better off using them vs. your OB. Always insist on an anesthesia for a circumcision. And breastfeed first if you can. (there is lost of circ info on this board elsewhere..sorry to go off on an tangent)

Enjoy the birth of your baby. Regardless of how they come into the world, it is wondrous event and you need to savor every moment of it

Congratulations and good luck. Thinking about this ahead of time will make for a really nice and special first few days with your baby. Good for you for planning ahead. Wishing you all of the best.

Mama to DS 10/06, DD & DS 08/09
#6 of 10 Old 03-09-2009, 07:09 PM

As a first time mama myself, these suggestions are great! It's helping me develop my birth plan too.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#7 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by August09baby View Post
I was a postpartum nurse for many years...here are my suggestions...

Have a birth plan. Call the hospital and meet with the postpartum nurse manager before the surgery to review your birth plan. Many people don't realize that the L&D and the postpartum floors are run differently and no one on postpartum will see your birth plan until you arrive on the unit, unless you make sure they do. Don't be confrontational, rather try to get the nurse manager from postpartum on your side...e.g., "What do you suggest for a successful c/s recovery?" "How can I best use the resources you have available to successfully recover, breastfeed, bond with baby, etc."

Plan on having the Dad spend then night in the hospital with you the first night because some hospitals will not let a "fresh" (defined and 1st 12 hours after surgery) c-section keep the baby in the room alone.

Plan to breastfeed the baby in the recovery room, write that in your birth plan and insist that the baby not be taken away from you until you have held him/her and had a chance to initiate breastfeeding.

If possible (and yes, there are some hospitals out there where it is possible) don't let the baby be taken to the nursery at all!

Discuss with your provider the plan to keep you pain free after surgery. This is a delicate balance as you absolutely need to be pain free but don't want medications that will interfere with breastfeeding (assuming you are planning to breastfeed). I remember some patients insisting on no post surgical pain meds because they wanted to breastfeed, but the pain was so strong initially, they could not successfully breastfeed anyway. There is a balance of for appropriate post surgical pain medication so speak with your doctor before surgery to develop a good plan.

Ask for, no, insist on a breast pump for the first night, in the event that you cannot breastfeed the baby for some reason. If you cannot manage to use the pump alone that first night, get help from a nurse. Don't let them give you any attitude about this

You will need to remain in bed for a certain number of hours after the surgery. How long depends on your doctor and your hospital. Discuss this with your doctor before surgery. You want to get up and around as soon as possible. One they let you, start drinking water. Lots and lots of water There is a lot of focus on the first urination after a c/s.

Walk, walk, walk. Get up and walk around asap. The more you walk the better. Believe it or not, gas pain can be worse that surgical abdominal pain. You need to get things moving again, and walking really helps. Elizabeth Nobel, in her book, Having Twins, has some great postpartum exercises for after a c-section that you can begin on day one. You may want to pop into a book store and peek at those.

Room-in. Keep the baby with you as much as possible.

I totally agree with pp cileag about the "no residents" but in many teaching hospitals this can be very difficult. If you have a boy and are getting him circumcised (we did not do this fro our DS but I know some people do) DO NOT let anyone but a senior resident do the procedure. The horror stories I can tell you about interns and early-in-training residents attempting circs. Ugh. Usually, a senior resident performs more circs that most OBs so you are better off using them vs. your OB. Always insist on an anesthesia for a circumcision. And breastfeed first if you can. (there is lost of circ info on this board elsewhere..sorry to go off on an tangent)

Enjoy the birth of your baby. Regardless of how they come into the world, it is wondrous event and you need to savor every moment of it

Congratulations and good luck. Thinking about this ahead of time will make for a really nice and special first few days with your baby. Good for you for planning ahead. Wishing you all of the best.
These suggestions are GREAT!! Thank you so much for the very thorough post!

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#8 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaguan View Post

When i had my last(3 weeks ago) I kept seeing women coming to Post Partum Ward without their babies~ Made me really sad I am not sure if they wanted the break or if they had no idea they could tell the staff no!

Melissa
They could have had babies in the NICU, too. I got transferred to PP alone when my DS was 7 weeks early- they reserved the 'birthing suites' for mamas lucky enough to have babies rooming in. It sucked.
#9 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 PM

I had a c-section with both of my boys. The only post partum thing that I wish I could change was being more forceful in having them bring my second son back to me from the nursery. After the delivery they let me cuddle him for a few minutes and then while they finished up with me, my husband went with our son to the nursery. His temperature was down so they wanted to keep him under the warming lights for a while. I was so overwhelmed by all that had happened that I didn't have the guts to demand that he be brought back to me in the recovery room so that I could hold him skin to skin to warm him up.

Tell your DH what your plans are so that he can be the forceful one if you aren't feeling up to it after the birth.
#10 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to all of you. I am just getting back here to check the replies. baby will be born tomorrow, so I've missed the boat on some of the things that you've suggested. I feel very encouraged that I help to create the best environment possible for my recovery. xo!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page