If you didn't get many stretchmarks with the first... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is it likely to be the same for your second pregnancy?

I still have a bit of loose skin but on my stomach, but I hardly have any noticeable stretchmarks. A few mostly invisible ones though.
#2 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM

I have no idea how most people fare, but I didn't get any with my first and I'm almost 35 weeks into my second without any marks thus far.

I have stretchmarks elsewhere on my body from childhood growth spurts though. Meh.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#3 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM

I did not get stretch marks with either pregnancy. My mom got them with me hours before she went into labor at 42 weeks 3 days, but didn't get any with my brother 2 years later, and he was bigger than me but was born only 2 days past his due date.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 03:32 PM

I got one tiny one with my first and a lot more than that with my second, still not tons but I can't count them all. Those are growing a bit longer with this pregnancy.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#5 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM

I didn't get any with either pregnancy, well, maybe some light ones on my boobs...
#6 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 04:00 PM

I was wondering this too. I didn't have any from the first one.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#7 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM

I didn't get any until my third babe. My first babe was a 40 weeker, my second a 38 weeker and my third was a 43 weeker. She was way bigger then my other kids. My next two subsequent kids were 38 weekers and i did not get any new stretch marks.
#8 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

I got some pretty wicked ones with my first, but I was kind of surprised to find out I got EVEN MORE with #2! My belly is like a roadmap :/
#9 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Working on baby #4 with NO stretchmarks! : I think it mostly has to do with heredity, but I swear by cocoa butter myself. It does take a while for the skin to tighten back up, though.
#10 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 05:15 PM

I think it depends on how much bigger you are with each subsequent pregnancy. I swore I was going to get some with my first(my mom has them), but I didn't. With my son I only got to 36 weeks and didn't feel nearly as streched so none again. I'm on my third babe and if I stay close in size to the other two pregnancies I doubt I'll get any. I got some on my boobs though from how fast they grew once my milk came in. They are almost invisible now but, meh, all worth it for my babies

Jenny
#11 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 PM

my first was born at only 32 weeks, i think i gained 28 lbs. i did not get any stretch marks. my 2nd was 38 wks, i gained 35 lbs and no stretch marks, my 3rd was 41 weeks, i gained 38 lbs, no stretchmarks. i put oil or lotion on maybe a total of 3 times in the last two pregnancies. i think it is less likely to get them with the later pregnancies if you didnt get them with the first, cause your skin remembers how to stretch out or smtg... but aafter reading the other posts, what do i know? I also mostly stayed lying down with this last pregnancy, with dd1 i worked on my feet through most the pregnancy though.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#12 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM

I' m having my 5th and I really don't have any stretch marks to speak of. And it's not cause I don't gain weight either....I think it varies by individual.
#13 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM

I didn't get them with my first. With my second I gained less and weighed less, but I got hella stretchmarks. So unfair.
#14 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 PM

I did not get stretch marks with my first. I did get them, many of them, but not until *after* my second pregnancy (which was a twin pregnancy that went to 33w; I never measured 40w or anything like that; then again, I might just not have been able to actually see the stretch marks since they might have been on the underside of my belly until the pregnancy was over). I am now into my 5th pregnancy, and I'm on lovenox as usual so I'm always looking for a spot on the belly to inject. I have noticed that quite a few of the major stretch marks tend to have veins lying right underneath them (which is convenient for me to see). So I have long wondered if the veins play some sort of role in the development of stretch marks. Anyhow, I was told that the more pregnancies, the more veins.
#15 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM

None with my first, non with my second.
#16 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelasmommy View Post
Working on baby #4 with NO stretchmarks! : I think it mostly has to do with heredity, but I swear by cocoa butter myself. It does take a while for the skin to tighten back up, though.
Cocoa butter will make your skin softer and will heal stretch marks that are already there faster, but it will not prevent stretch marks. You're right, it's all hereditary. There is NO cream, lotion, potion, vitamin, or supplement that will prevent stretch marks. Anyone who says there is probably is the lucky type who wouldn't have gotten stretch marks anyway. I suppose anything's possible, but I'm going by the scientific studies, as well as my own experience (I used to slather myself daily with vitamin e oil and coco butter and got stretch marks anyway).
#17 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had no stretchmarks with my first for 38 weeks, then I got a few during those last 2 weeks.

With DD2, she was much bigger, I was much bigger (extra fat in addition to carrying a bigger baby) and I got tons of stretch marks, starting in my 6th or 7th month. By the time I had DS, I didn't notice any NEW stretch marks since my tummy already looked like a road map.

The cocoa butter is doing wonders for my 14yo, though, who's grown 3 cup sizes since the summer and was getting stretch marks on her breasts.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#18 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 PM

I got some with ds1 but with the 2nd I slathered myself with cocoa butter/vit e every time I got out the shower or started feeling itchy ... and no marks!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#19 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I would say that nutrition must play a role in the health of the skin, but topical probably doesn't do much. I've heard EFA's, zinc and vitamin E are really important for elasticity.
#20 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne D'Arc View Post
I would say that nutrition must play a role in the health of the skin, but topical probably doesn't do much. I've heard EFA's, zinc and vitamin E are really important for elasticity.
Is there any info about this anywhere? Can you really effect your elasticity that much? All the info I gathered stated that supplements will not prevent stretch marks, that if you're going to get them you're going to get them. But I definitely want to know if I am wrong cause I get them like whoa and they hurt and take forever to fade.
#21 of 21 Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 PM

I got no stretch marks on my belly with my 1st (but tons on my boobs from engorgement) and so I thought I was in the clear for my 2nd -- nope, got them below my belly, so I couldn't even see them until after DD2 was born. I was so bummed. But they faded and I can't see them at all anymore.

I gained the same amount with both DD's...

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page