Can a baby survive at 22 weeks pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

can a baby survive at 22 weeks..

My concerns are really big,im 21 weeks and 3 day.ive been put on the hormones pills twice.one in the start and ended at 13 weeks and i was put back on the at 19 weeks..they trying for my lil girl to stay a lil more longer inside of me so she can in the oven a lil more..thats what the doc said... Im always having contraction on n off.. She will be my 5th child thats why im very worry.. Cause lots of people say n even doctors that almost the 4th of beyound tend to always come early..wow... N now i fould out in sono that she is in vertex position..i mean that was two weks ago.but last week i had amother sono at labor and delilvery n the said she's a lil on the lower side..they were trying to say she is still in vertex position n mayb a lil lower...i mean for me i think i will have her premature..may i will give birth 2 her at 7 months.. Cause the way i see things i think thats how its gonna happennn...

Any 1 who had something like this happen to them plz respond back..or give some advise or opinons..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 02:04 AM

My understanding is that it's extremely unlikely (I think it's happened once or twice in recorded history) and the chances of long term problems is very very high.

I'm so sorry you are going through this! Hang in there! Hopefully your baby will stay put for a few more weeks. I believe your chances are quite good if you can make it to 27 or 28 weeks and have access to a high level NICU.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 AM

just to give you some hope, I had a multitude of problems in my DS's pregnancy, including a twin loss at 13 weeks, and bleeding off and on throughout. He dropped at 23 weeks and was at +1 station. I had contrations starting that week (week 23) every 20 minutes around the clock. Through a combination of bedrest and luck, he stayed in til 33 weeks and was born at 5 pounds! He has many issues medically, but none are related to his prematurity (he's 20 months now). I was not even given progesterone or terbutaline- with those, he may have stayed in longer.

The one piece of advice I can give you is if you're told to go on bedrest, DO IT! I was told this time (I'm 9.5 weeks) that I will probably be hospitalized once preterm labor starts because I have a toddler and they doubt I will be able to have true rest at home. So whatever it takes, if you have to call in family from across the country to help, do it. I pushed myself too hard the week before my son was born, and I truly think I could have gotten at least another week or two of gestating him if I'd followed my *strict* bedrest orders more closely.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 AM

the youngest to live was 21 and 6 born in Miami, they KNEW the conception date because it was a IVF baby.
it is VERY rare, but it can happen, 24 weeks is usually the point of viability.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:45 PM

It's rare and very unlikely, but as a PP pointed out, it isn't outside the realm of possibility. It sounds like you've got a health care team committed to keeping that baby cooking as long as possible, that's a big advantage for you since most of these micro-preemies come so fast and with no warning

I did come across an article a while back (sorry, I can't seem to find it again) that looked at extremely premature births prior to 28 weeks gestation in Britain. I don't remember how many births they looked at or what year this study came from, but they had no survivals prior to 24 weeks. Suprisingly though, the survival rate for babies born 24-25 weeks was about 20% and climbed very quickly to the 90%+ range at 28 weeks. They didn't mention anything about the rate of fatal and uncurable congenital defects which I would imagine plays a huge role in survival rates.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

Just becuase a baby is your fourth doesn't mean it's going to come out early. Just letting you know. I realize you have other factors that are a cause for concern, but it being your fourth is not one of them afaik.

Like others have said, it's possible for a baby to survive that early but highly, highly unlikely. At 24 weeks the survival rate is only 50% (but it jumps up pretty quickly after that, if you can make it even to 27 weeks it will be up to 70-80%). And of course the earlier the baby is born the higher the chance of serious problems.

I hope your baby cooks in there as long as possible.

User Tag List