No roller coasters? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to Disneyland and I'll be about 5 months pg. I can go on the majority of the rides, but the park says "expectant mothers should not ride" for the fun ones, like splash mtn., indiana jones, matterhorn etc.

I was wondering if this rule is to be taken seriously, or are theme parks just protecting themselves legally?

I don't mind skipping these rides too much, I'm just curious what are the risks to pregnant women?

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#2 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 PM

There are two reasons I can think of, one is that with relaxin flowing through your body and loosening everything up you are much more vulnerable to slight injuries from the jerks and braking and whatnot - I really notice it driving, braking sharply or going over a bump definitely causes twinges here and there when they wouldn't have previously, I've only noticed that in the last month or so, I'm 6 months.

The other is that the restraint may not fit properly and may press on the uterus - not quite the same as it pressing on a fat roll unfortunately!

I definitely wouldn't go on a roller coaster at the stage I'm at, 6 months, but I was tempted when we were in Vegas when I was 3.5 mths, it was the price that put me off! I'm not familiar with the rides at Disneyland, I think familiarity would make a difference for me, I know that in the past some rides feel very different to others and even not pregnant there were a couple of roller coasters that I'd probably not have bothered with because the seats were shaped such that they could easily trigger a short term back ache.

Overall, I think there are definitely reasons to be cautious, but that at 5m some of them may be within your comfort zone!

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#3 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM

I'd listen to their precautions. On some of those rides you can get thrown around quite a bit.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
#4 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM

I just got back from a trip to Disney World (at 23-24 weeks), and I did sit out all the big thrillers. I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but on the Disboards it is frequently posted for pregnant women that Splash Mt. should be avoided because the angle of the drop mixed with the sudden stop at the end can lead to placental abruption. Like I said, I don't know if that is true, but even the idea of it was enough to get me to avoid the ride. There is also frequent warnings that the roller coasters should be avoided due to the g-forces.

I didn't ride on Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom, and it is supposedly the exact same ride as Indiana Jones at Disneyland, only with a different theme. DH rode it and was really surprised at how bumpy and jerky it was. I was glad that I had skipped it.

The only ride that I rode on my trip that had the expectant mother avoidance warning was the safari at Animal Kingdom. I had ridden it plenty of times before and knew that it was basically just a bumpy truck ride, so I didn't have any concerns.

The good thing about Disney World and Disneyland is that there are so many fun things to do besides thrill rides.

This isn't what you asked about, but I will say that the biggest problem I had was with my feet swelling. They swelled up so badly by the end of the first day that none of my shoes fit, and I had to buy a pair of Crocs in my resort gift shop so I had something to wear on my feet. That was not fun. So, if you are going on a multi-day trip, you might want to make sure to put your feet up every day. (I hadn't had any problem with swelling before the trip, and I haven't had any problem since I got back.)

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#5 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

You know, besides the safety issues, it probably won't even be fun to go on those rides pregnant. I went on a kiddie coaster at a theme pizza place (they wouldn't let my kids ride alone) and it was MISERABLE. It made me really dizzy and the jerking made me crampy. I was only like 12 weeks at the time, but it was NOT fun. And that was just a tiny little kid coaster! I can't imagine splash mountain or indiana jones, esp at six months.
#6 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 PM

The G-forces some of those rides generate are not good for anybody, but especially NOT for a pregnant woman. I've been on some rides where I had back and neck pain for days afterward. And I love roller coasters! But that's one rule I heed, for sure.
#7 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 PM

Avoid the coasters/rides with big drops and fast, jerky turns. But be sure to grab some extra rides on Soarin'! You get the thrill without the movement!

Have a great trip!

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page