First-time mamas - wanna chat? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 359 Old 01-27-2004, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good info on the carseats. I am trying to do all-in-one type stuff (like one craseat/stoller/high chair for the duration) just so I don't have a mountain of baby stuff, but you have good points. The bucket also seems nice if baby is napping and you can let them continue while you go about your business.... Hmmmm....

Have any of you thought strollers or high chairs? I saw a neat jog stroller recently that comes with a bassinet conversion.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#122 of 359 Old 01-27-2004, 02:02 PM

(confession/warning - I have been a baby gear junkie for years, long before I discovered AP - so now I am just focusing my mania on "streamlining" )

I saw that jogging stroller too!!! What I saw was online for $200 - not sure if I can justify that cost when I don't actually jog. At this point I really like the Graco citi-lite or the Maclaren Volo. I know I don't want a travel system.

I've thought a little about high chairs. I read online recently where a woman who liked wooden high chairs said that all baby gear is just going to be plastic in a dumpster someday. I like that Kinderseat (probably got the spelling wrong) because it is a lifetime purchase, but it says that it can't be used until 18 months. There are also the wooden high chairs that restaurants use. Then again, I have heard even natural mamas say that wooden high chairs are a nightmare.
#123 of 359 Old 01-27-2004, 05:16 PM

hey ladies!

i haven't posted in a while, and since the june mamas page is slackin', i thought i'd come here and say hello to my fellow first timers.

i can see why this trimester is the blissful one! i'm reveling in my new plumpness...i've moved from the "has she gained weight?" stage and into the "she's pregnant!" stage. i'm starting to feel flutters here and there, and when i concentrate with my hands i can feel my baby's head and legs. yesterday i had to drive about an hour to go to a friend's wedding dress fitting, and i talked to the little soul the whole way, describing his/her family tree in great detail, and expressing what a miracle it is that for this one life to be created, all others before it had to be created. so many chance encounters had to happen for this one act of fate. i LOVE it!

how are you all feeling? i jumped in at the right time...i know NOTHING about which car seats / strollers / etc. to buy. NOTHING. i just know i want a moses basket...my sister had one and loved it.

almost halfway through!!!!!!!! (19-1/2 weeks!)

love, laura
#124 of 359 Old 01-27-2004, 09:05 PM

I'm thinking we'll probably get a bucket now. One that you can buy a second base for, so that we can put it in both cars without messing with installing it all the time. Now I just have research and pick one.

I think we're going to wait on high chairs until the baby is getting close to sitting up. One less thing cluttering up my very small house. My friends with kids (most of whom are pretty crunchy) all ended up with the boster chair kind that comes apart and goes in the dishwasher. They said everything else was just a big pain to keep clean.

I keep drooling over those expensive european pram/strollers. I can't justify buying one though. We live in the suburbs and it's not practical to walk much of anywhere here (no sidewalks and big drainage ditches on either side of the road). I can't think of any reason I'd really need one when I could just use a sling. They're so pretty though.
#125 of 359 Old 01-28-2004, 12:35 AM

Great thoughts on the carseats. I'm thinking we'll get a bucket and a britax, too.

The high-chair I like is one that is a wooden seat that attaches to a regular dining room chair. I like that I could use it at home in the kitchen w/o having a humungo contraption in my way. Also, they are easy to tote into a restaurant- the restaurant high chairs freak me out, from a sanitation standpoint as well as the comfort issue.

Laura, ITKWYM about the 2nd trimester being so much better than the first. I have always known that I'd love being pregnant, but the sickness and exhaustion of the 1st trimester made it hard to totally LOVE it. The past few weeks I have felt better than ever. And I'm in love with this belly I'm developing The kids in my class have started rubbing my tummy and talking to the baby now that they can see it.

Hmmm, stroller.....I don't know if I want to get one at all. At least not an infant one. There aren't even sidewalks in my neighborhood for outdoor walks. Mainly I plan on slinging, but when the babe gets a bit heavier I guess one of those little fold out strollers might be good to have handy.

I am just tonight! Hope everyone is feeling wonderful
#126 of 359 Old 01-28-2004, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I keep drooling over those expensive european pram/strollers. I can't justify buying one though. We live in the suburbs and it's not practical to walk much of anywhere here (no sidewalks and big drainage ditches on either side of the road). I can't think of any reason I'd really need one when I could just use a sling. They're so pretty though.
Ceili ~ I found one (a beautiful Emmaljunga) at a yard sale last summer for $25!!! I absolutely it. I wasn't even pregnant when I bought it but I've been eyeing the European pram/strollers for a while and I knew how much they cost new so I snatched up! I went rollerblading with my Godson in it once and lots of older people commented on how much they liked my "buggy." :LOL I've also seen one recently during my consignment shopping trip and there are a few on e-bay.

My girlfriend who has two kids and is a major sling-lover says that the sling is great MOST of the time....but if you really want to get out and take a brisk walk....either a Baby Bjorn, a backpack or a stroller works best.

Laura ~ I'm right about where you are too...I was 20 weeks yesterday and I hear ya about feeling great! I feel SO wonderful. I love checking out my profile in the mirror (and I can't do so without getting a big on my face). It is SO nice to look pregnant and not just "a little heavy."

Someone else also mentioned about being very in love with their partner. Definitely the same in our house. We have been SO super-lovey...sending each other cards and e-mails. It's really wonderful.

We talk a lot about how our relationship is going to change. My DH has admitted that he's scared about feeling neglected when the baby arrives....as so much of my attention is going to have to be focused on our newborn. So we've been talking about SMALL ways that we can show each other affection (not necessarily physical but more emotional) - even when we are totally exhausted and covered in spit up. :LOL

We know it's going to be a little rocky as we transition but having a family is something we've both wanted for so long....we'll make it work!

Let's see....what else? I haven't posted in a while...much to catch up on....

Carseats....we're going to start with an infant seat first and then go to the (very expensive) Britax.

Highchairs....I registerd for one of the beautiful wooden ones on organicbebe.com. Not sure how practical it is but I had a wooden high chair as a kid and when I saw them online.....just had to have one! Sentimental value I guess. :

Okay....I have to get ready for work. I was hoping for a snow day today...but darn...not quite enough of the white stuff!

~Erin
#127 of 359 Old 01-28-2004, 01:22 PM

Yes, I was checking out the high chairs that attach to a regualr chair too, I like that, not so bulky, and I found a nice wooden one too.

-Sheryl

#128 of 359 Old 01-28-2004, 02:23 PM

Butterflyma... what is the name of the wodden seated highchair that attaches to a regualr chair? And where can I get one?
#129 of 359 Old 01-28-2004, 05:46 PM

warning T and a little bit of a vent...

Why do people have to tell you all their "horror stories" about losing babies? I have had a number of people tell me of friends, themselves, etc. who lost babies late in pregnancy and stillborns. And all of these people KNOW that I had a m/c with my first preg. and KNOW that I have had a lot of bleeding early on with this one. The one that bothered me the most was a lady who pretty much said that if you are bleeding, it is a really good sign that the baby won't be right, even if you do make it through the full term. I get worried enough that there could be something wrong, that I could lose this baby! Why can't they just say "everything will be fine." Even if they don't believe it. What good is going to do to tell all these scary stories and stress me out even more.

Sorry about the vent. I just made it past week 12 and really feeling pregnant. (Couldn't do up a pair of jeans last night! ) This is really starting to feel real and I am getting so nervous that I could still lose this baby.

Thanks for all those who are "listening" I don't know where I would go without Mothering...

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#130 of 359 Old 01-28-2004, 06:23 PM

naturegirl...
Never fear... bleeding does not mean the baby will "not be right." I had a ton of bleeding with my babe, even ended up in the ER. I am now 6 mths along and everything is perfectly normal and my baby is growing just like it should! Here is a suggestion... Next time someone begins a "story" ask that they only share if it is positive. There are so many people out there who want to be able to share whatever they have in their head, without regard for your feelings. Stop it before it starts. This is true for labor stories as well. People love to share about how they endured a horrible birth. Well, props to them, but they shouldn't be telling it to a pregnant woman! Just my suggestions.
#131 of 359 Old 01-28-2004, 08:01 PM

Hey all, popping over from the May Babies thread...proud to be a first time mom-to-be!

On highchairs - originally I actually wanted a Babee Tenda Feeding Table. My partner hated how they looked. Now she is in love with the Sven chair on organicbebe. That's probably what we'll end up registering for. I also think we will get a seat that attaches to a regular chair as well. I would love to hear feedback on different portable chairs (as well as the Sven and Babee Tenda ones) if anyone cares to share.

We really don't want to end up with too much stuff. Everyone I know with a new baby has regreted stuff they thought they wanted. We are not registered anywhere yet, but we will have to do it not just because we are pressured by other but because we don't want what a lot of people consider baby necessities like a eletronic super duper diaper pail. Any good ideas for setting limits out there?

Naturegirl - I bled early on and everything is fine now! I am sure that everything will be great for you. Congrats on reaching 12 weeks!
#132 of 359 Old 01-28-2004, 08:24 PM

Thank you ladies for the positive stories. I guess I need to find a "nice" way to ask for positive stories only and keep the negativity out of my life and my pregnancy! Thanks again.

Cheryl

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#133 of 359 Old 01-29-2004, 12:45 AM

Naturegirl-

One thing I've discovered is that there are a lot of "experts" out there- anyone who's ever had a baby or knows someone who has. The thing is, they ARE experts on their own experience, but not on mine.

Fortunately, I haven't gotten too many horror stories- mostly nice or funny ones. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that! ! !

The only time I had miscarriage stories was after my miscarriage (a few months before I got pregnant), and they reassured me that I was normal. Tons of people have a miscarriage before their first. Your baby is going to be beautiful, healthy, and happy.

I stressed out my first trimester too. You'll be FINE. In fact, you'll be GREAT. Poo on those people, I say most maturely.

I must admit that I beat MYSELF up and stressed out about all kinds of things early on. As I've gotten farther along, though (25 weeks) I've grown to have more and more faith in my little one's path. I truly believe that we are meant to end up with the babies we have, and that though we are here to nurture them, we don't really own them. That is reassuring to me- our kids really belong to God (or the universe, or themselves, or whatever you prefer.) There is a plan for them, but we are only a part of it. There is grace out there for them.

Or at least that's how I feel. May you be blessed with peace, and an end to thoughtless comments by others.

A&L +1-

On a lighter note, how I'm setting limits is I'm only getting stuff that I know I'll use in the first 6 months or so. That will give me time to figure out what I really want/need. (Though I admit that we found a wooden high chair cheap at a used place and jumped on it).
#134 of 359 Old 01-29-2004, 12:51 PM

Naturegirl~ I had bleeding early on AND u/s that showed there was no bleeding that was affecting the baby. The fear will lessen as your pg progresses, IME...but it is still a little in the back of my mind and I just tell it to go away. Just wait til your pregnancy is more obvious- then people will start in with the labor horror stories! Misery loves company?

Jacqulyn~ the high chair that I like is in the One Step ahead catalogue, It's an Eddie Bauer for 49.95. The tray is plastic, but I like that because I can stick it in the dishwasher or even take it down to hose it off if I need too:LOL In the same catalogue is a plastic chair attaching seat, my girlfriend has that one and loves it.

Off to work I go!
#135 of 359 Old 02-01-2004, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hello mamas! Hope you are all having a great weekend.

I'm kind of bummed.

The name that we ....the name that we are SURE is our daughter's name....the name we have been calling her for the last month....has appeared on some stupid hollywood list as a "trendy name" for 2004.

I'm so sad.

I really don't think we can pick another name. From the moment my DH suggested it, it just felt SO RIGHT. I just saying it!! But ugh...I'm so sad to think that she will be lumped in with the trendy crowd. :

*sigh*

On a positive note...I'm feeling lots of movement and my DH felt it for the first time a couple of days ago. VERY cool!

~Erin
#136 of 359 Old 02-01-2004, 02:34 PM

Erin~ Sorry about your name popping up on the "trendy" list Perhaps it's not true.... We could tell you if you told us what the name is :LOL
Just kidding, I understand why you don't want to announce it. My hubbys name is a name that was super popular in the timeframe he was born. We always run into people with the same name, the joke is "your parents got the memo too" BUT his name is a great name. I love what a strong name it is and if I was into the whole "JR" thing I'd even name a baby boy after him OTOH, my name is not common and it is "misspelled" (Brandi, instead of Brandy) I always wished I could find my names on keychains, fair name printouts, etc.... And I didn't care for having my name mispelled by everyone else on certificates, class pictures, the first copy of my diploma! So, even if your bebe name is not 100% original, there are perks to a familiar name. Sorry for the essay, I guess that's a sensitive spot for me

I can't wait to feel a movement! I'm sending subliminal messages to the baby to kick just a little harder so mama can feel it.

OMG, I woke up this morning and I've got these two pink lines on my tummy! I think they may be stretch marks? I'll have to see if they go away by the end of today. I'm only 17 weeks and I've been using lotion and haven't gained a lot of weight. If they are stretch marks, I think I'll be in for quite a few....
#137 of 359 Old 02-01-2004, 10:40 PM

That is a bummer Erin. That's what's happening with the boy's name we've had picked out for YEARS. It's fastly becoming popular so we're considering another name for a boy. Girl's names we're ok with.

This baby has been sooo active lately. It's fun! I'm lovin' it.

butterflyma - chances are it was just a wrinkle mark from your sheets or pj's. I get those all the time.
#138 of 359 Old 02-02-2004, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys. I think we're still sticking with the name...we might actually name her a longer variation of it (but use "the name" as her nickname) so she has an option of differentiating herself if her name really does become super popular. :

Quote:
butterflyma - chances are it was just a wrinkle mark from your sheets or pj's. I get those all the time.
I was going to say the same thing. I've had a few of those and then they go away.

Have a great Monday!!

~Erin
#139 of 359 Old 02-03-2004, 01:44 PM

Erin, I would be bummed too, but it sounds like you feel better about it and have a little work-around. Sometimes the Hollywood trendy names take a little while to get out into the mainstream, so maybe you'll be more original for the first few years .

-Sheryl

#140 of 359 Old 02-04-2004, 05:13 PM

I am having the same name problem. I don't really know if it is on the Hollywood list but I have heard a lot of the same name recently in newborns. I was planning on using it as a middle name and not the first name though.

My belly is starting to poke out now some but I am not too sure if it is from baby or constantly eating! :LOL I haven't really gained much weight yet though. Maybe 2 pounds at the most. I just passed the 13 week mark so I am guessing the weight will start adding on soon.

How much should I expect to pay for diaper service? I am considering this option for the first 2-3 months and I recently got a coupon for buying the first 8 weeks and getting 4 weeks free. Sounds like it could be a good deal but I have no idea on how much it usually costs.

Cheryl

#141 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Woo-hoo Cheryl! Congratulations on hitting (okay...almost) the second trimester! I the 2nd trimester!! I don't know about the diaper service costs. Not sure if we even have diaper services around here.

Butterfly ~ Your PM box is full!!

Pattycakes ~ I am feeling lots of movement now too!! Isn't it the BEST feeling???

~Erin
#142 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 12:54 PM

dharmama~I cleaned up my pm

naturegirl~there are some diaper service web pages where you can check out the cost- I'm not sure but I THINK there's one in WA called natural baby diapers, if you did a search you might find their page- I'll check it out tonight

???? Sometimes I wonder if I'm feeling my baby move, I get this little pain in various places in my lower abdomen, that is def not gas At first I thought it was mild round ligament pain, but it doesn't feel the same and it happens in the center (as opposed to the sides) of my tummy. Does feeling the baby move ever feel a little painful?

Have a wonderful Tuesday
#143 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I get all kinds of random pains - ligaments I assume - some high, some low. Some come and go...some stick around BUT...to answer your question....No, I would not describe the baby's movements as painful. I think it kind of tickles. For me it really feels just like she is swimming and pushing water around as she moves.

~Erin
#144 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

PS - Has anyone made any decisions about vaxing yet?

I'm currently reading "Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide" by Aviva Jill Romm (and I also lurk on the vax board here).

Right now we are leaning towards not vaxing - or possibily doing so VERY selectively on a delayed schedule. Luckily I've found a pediatrician who will support whatever decison me make....the few non-vaxers I've met IRL go to him and highly recommend him.

With the excepton of a very few people...I get a VERY negative reaction if/when I say that we're not planning to vax.

Anyway...just interested in hearing your thoughts.

~Erin
#145 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 PM

Hello, everyone! I'm a first-time mama and happy to be here! I'm active on the June thread, though lately I've started to feel like maybe I'll go early - I'm now thinking end of May (weird intuitive thing - who knows?).

Just wanted to pop in and say hi! I've been following this thread but haven't posted yet.

butterflyma - I wouldn't describe the baby moving as painful at all. My first impressions of it were "wiggles" - felt a little like gas, but right under the skin low down on my belly (not in your "guts"). Now the movements have progressed to kicks that DH can even feel! I've had lots of round ligament pain (usually right before a growth spurt) and lately some menstral-like cramping, but the baby moving is always pleasent.

Other than my paranoina about my weight, all is going well. My midwife told me at our last appointment that I should "slow down" a bit on the weight gain - after I'd only gained three pounds in a month! She kind of took it back and told me just to aim for the same gain this month, but now I second-guess myself with everything I put in my mouth.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#146 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 02:48 PM

Welcome Queen of Cups! I'm sorry your midwife was such a cad and made you worry. 3 lbs? I wouldn't. Eat healthy, exercise regularly and you'll be just fine!

I've fleetingly thought about vaxs, but I haven't made any definite decisions yet though. My gut tells me to delay until babe is bigger - there are some we won't do (hep B, chickenpox).

I've never had baby kicks hurt (I'm about 25 wks). Some of them are pretty strong, but more like a thud than a pain. Usually pain is ligament pain or just some mild cramping. This baby has been SOOOO active the last few days - even during the day when recently he/she has been quiet.

Diaper service costs in this area (for service the service I'll be using- I'm in Philly) is $15/week for 80 diapers - (you can choose less diapers and the cost is cheaper etc). I think it goes down to like $8 a week for 20 diapers or something like that. It's not much cheaper than 'sposies (at 80 diapers a week), but I just like the idea of cloth so much it's worth it and still reasonable in my opinion. I'm planning on using disposables for the first couple of weeks and the switching to cloth when I have a better idea of how many diapers I'll need a week. It takes a week or so for the service to kick in anyway - so I'll call after the baby is born and get it set up.
#147 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 04:23 PM

We are not vaxing. Decided that about 5 years ago actually. I, fortunately, have alot of support in that decision and family understands completely. (Most of them )

I did check in to the diaper sevice here and it is $15 for 80 diapers per week and goes down fifty cents every ten diapers less. You can also tell them your due date and they will drop off diapers for you before that. Then when you have the baby just call them and they will start the weekly pickup. That way you don't have to wait for a couple of weeks to get started.

Can't talk much now gotta run. Hope everyone is doing good

Cheryl

#148 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 06:12 PM

No vaxing here either. I haven't shared this with anyone really, it just hasn't come up. Yet. I am sure some people in my family will tell me how bad it is.... So my research in the future will focus on good answers to those folks. I know I won't be changing any minds, but I'm hoping that at least some will be able to understand why we have made this choice.

Must get to work, just wanted to add my response.

-Sheryl

#149 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 07:16 PM

I have not done much research at this point, but I have a feeling we will be very selective and on a schedule of our choice. We will definitely stay away from combo vacs, chicken pox, and hep B for a no-risk newborn (so absurd, even a lot of our very mainstream friends don't do that one).
#150 of 359 Old 02-05-2004, 09:58 PM

We're planning on delayed selective vaxxing. I'm not planning on mentioning it to anyone.

I haven't started looking for a ped yet. I really hate dealing with doctors so I keep putting it off.. but I should start looking for one soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page