First-time mamas - wanna chat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2003, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we all have our month threads going (I'm a June mama)...but I thought it might be fun to also chat with other first-timers...

So....who's here?

~Erin

Oh :LOL...I guess I'll start!

I'm Erin. I'm 29 (30 in April). DH and I have been married for 3 1/2 years. We rode the very emotional TTC roller coaster for 9 months and then YIPPPPEEEE in Sept. it finally happened.....and we have a June-bug on the way! I'm 16 weeks tomorrow and VERY MUCH enjoying being pregnant! We're planning a hospital birth with two great midwives and a WONDERFUL doula (who is also my good friend). Ummmm....I guess that's it for now. :LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2003, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone??? :

:LOL
Old 12-29-2003, 11:26 AM

Me!!
Just tested this morning (well yesterday too but it was too light to believe)
I'm 32, dh and I have been living together for 2 yrs, and are getting "legally" married on June 19th. Dh is 38.
We had a miscarriage on Oct 10 of this year. While the pregnancy was not planned it was horribly devasting for both of us and we decided that instead of once again messing with my arthritis medication (rhuematoid) we would stay on the ones safe for pregnancy and start trying again before we were actually married. (shhhhhhh, don't tell his mom!!!)
So, I guess I'm a september mama, although there is no thread yet for that.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:41 AM

I'll join!

I'm Tracey 29 been married to DH for 9.5 years. I'm due late May. (currently 19 weeks). This is our first child together, though my DH had a daughter before we married. She passed away unexpectedly (age 11) this past May (canoe accident).

We have been "talking" about having a baby for a few years now and have been preparing financially/emotionally. After stepDD died (she died the day after I took my last b/c pill) we were a bit lost and didn't know if we should continue trying to conceive or not. We had planned originally to start trying (go off the pill and chart for a few months) this past fall, but conceived Sept 1, a little sooner than originally planned (actually, right after we renewed our wedding vows, almost like a honeymoon baby - heehee). Anyway, a big part of our decision was because of stepDD. We were completely devastated, the whole family was, but we thought that if we both died tomorrow we would really regret not having more children in our lives. So here we are. And weirdly enough, my due date will be the same week as the anniversary of stepDD's passing. (absolutely, completely unplanned).

Lately, I'm feeling really good. I've just finished a huge nesting phase - heaps of energy and we got a lot ready for the baby. But now my energy is tapering off.

We're planning a birth center birth with midwives. I'm currently working, but debating about coming back after my mat. leave.

Congrats Shannon0218 and dharmama - glad you started this thread!

(whoa, this was WAY longer than I anticipated. oops).
Old 12-29-2003, 04:17 PM

I'm a first-timer too! I'm 29, married for (almost) 5 years, and due July 31. I'm 9 weeks along, and I think I'm finally starting to show a little bit, although I'm probably the only one who would notice. I'm seeing an OB now, but if everything looks good at the 18 week US, I'm going to switch to a midwife practice. Last night we saw my in-laws and gave them the big news- the unsolicited advice has started already!: Anyhow, it's nice meeting you guys!

Eve
Old 12-29-2003, 07:50 PM

this is funny we are all about the same age having our first

I'll be 30 in July and we too tried for 9 months since getting married in Sept 2002 to get preggers with this babe. It seems like it took forever to get pregnant but now the time has just FLOWN by!After all this waiting and wating and WAITING for a baby I am starting to get really anxious (I'm 31 weeks tomorrow) and going through spurts of nesting as well. I have loved being pregnant but I can't wait to meet this little one! we are planning a birth center birth with a midwife & doula btw.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:38 PM

rainbowmoon - I thought the same thing about us all being about the same age. I'll be 30 in July too. You're not too far away!

As far as length of time to conceive. I charted for 3 months, I think I conceived the first time we tried, but I also think I had a very early miscarriage (before I tested positive) but conceived the second time. We were surprised that it happened so quickly - we figured it would take a while before anything happened. I did have some bleeding at 6 weeks but everything, obviously turned out well.

I also can't believe how quickly time is passing.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! So glad to have some other first-time mamas to chat with!

That is interesting about us all being 30-ish....among our group of friends....we're having kiddos kind of "late" (my DH is 35) but it feels like just the perfect age for me....I'm SO excited to be a mama.

Plus we have discovered is a GREAT advantage.....MANY hand-me-downs are coming our way!!

~Erin
Old 12-30-2003, 12:10 PM

Yeah we're late too (course I think we're the oldest here:LOL )
Part of what made up my mind not to wait until after the wedding was finding out my mother and aunt both hit menopause at 35!!! I figured I'd be 33 before we were married, that's cutting things a little close--especially if we decide we want 2!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone found a pediatrician yet?

I just set up two consulatations for late January. I've been asking around since I found out I was pregnant, and there seem to be VERY few AP-friendly pediatricians around here so I figure I better start my search early!

Now I have to figure out exactly what I want to ask them...

~Erin
Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 PM

Hello to all the other soon-to-be first-time mamas!

I'm 30, too , my partner Bill and I have been together for over 8 years and are happily unmarried.

We've been charting (I've been taking my temps and Bill's been asking me every morning what my temp is ) since last August, and our 2-week vacation to visit relatives in eastern Europe in April was our official kick-off for baby-making. We didn't tell anyone in the family, but a few of our friends knew.

And in September we found out we're having a baby! Actually, I was kind of bummed when my breasts were sore for days on end and we suspected I might be pregnant because I calculated my due time and it was right around the wedding date of my very good friend from college, who was planning on getting married on the east coast! (Big changes since then: they are getting married in July in Lake Tahoe now! A long drive, from Portland, but more doable than a plane flight to Rhode Island with a one-month old!)

We are planning a homebirth with two midwives, and I am a birth and postpartum doula, so I will probably have my good friend who is also a doula be there as well.

warmly,
claudia
mama-to-be in late spring 2004!
Old 12-30-2003, 08:37 PM

We haven't started looking for a Ped. yet, but it's been on our minds. Should get going on that.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:49 PM

Hi all-

I'm Sarah, first-timer, almost 23 weeks, due 4-30-04. Dh and I "tried" (i.e., didn't NOT try) for a month and got pregnant the second month. After being together for 10 years, married 3, and always trying NOT to get pregnant, it was very sudden! But we're thrilled and happy, now that we've had some time to get used to it. Also lots of friends around who are done with their own babies and have lots of hand-me-downs. It's great!

I teach prenatal yoga, am a doula-in-training, and hoping to become a midwife. Having a home birth with two midwives, although we don't yet have a home. (We're housesitting right now). I love being pregnant although it has taken me by surprise in some ways. Glad to talk to other first-timers!

Sarah
Old 12-31-2003, 12:19 AM

I'm a first-timer, too! I'm 27 (28 in April), dh just turned 36, and we've been married about 5 1/2 years. After an unplanned pregnancy ended in a miscarriage 7 years ago, we have been waiting and waiting for me to finish school before we gave it another go. I finally finished my teaching certification a few weeks ago, and I'm just over 18 weeks pregnant now. I'm due in the end of May.

The pediatrician thing has been on my mind, but we don't know where we're going to live by the time the baby is born. DH's job wants to move us, and we should find out this week whether their latest plan for him is going to fly. If so, we would be moving within about a month, so we can start looking soon.

It's great to have a group of first-time mamas to chat with!
Old 12-31-2003, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I teach prenatal yoga, am a doula-in-training, and hoping to become a midwife.
Sarah I teach prenatal yoga and am a doula-in-training too! (No plans to be a midwife right now...but who knows...I'm a birth/baby junkie!)

I've been teaching PNY for about a year and a half and I was just reflecting on how my teaching has changed now that I am pregnnat. Prior to being pregnant I led a much slower and more gentle class (always wanting to err on the side of caution) but now that I am pregnant...and not doing my regular vinyasa practice...I find that I desire a slightly more vigorous PNY practice so that is how I am structuring my class (with MANY modifications and MUCH encouragement to listen to your body and rest when needed etc.). My students are really responding and seem to like it a lot!

Welcome kittymama and Claudia!!

I'm off to the midwife today....can't wait to hear the heartbeat again....such beautiful music.

~Erin
Old 12-31-2003, 12:02 PM

Heehee.. funny to recognize so many May mamas!

I teach prenatal pilates - and was a doula for 2 years before moving into the computer field. I originally intended to become a midwife and that may still happen - just a bit later in life.

We were at the midwife yesterday. Got to hear the heartbeat (beautiful music - how true) and heard some swimming around - but I didn't feel it. My Quad screen came back negative, but we're going to take a look with an ultrasound anyway.

Enjoy your New Year Festivities and relish your last new years eve with out babies. AFter this, it will never be the same... (it will be BETTER). Happy New Year! What an interesting 2004 it will be.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:26 PM

Hi

I'm Kaely, and I'll be 29 in two weeks. DSO and I have been together 9 years, with no intention of getting married anytime soon.

I'm 14 weeks along, due in late June and really really ready for this nausea to go away.

DSO and I aren't really the type to plan anything. We stopped using birth control when I finished school a few years ago, but we were never actively "trying".

We have a midwife and are planning a homebirth. I haven't even begun to think about looking for a ped.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:03 PM

Hi All,

Shannon your gonna have to give up your senior status. I'm 36.

DH and I tried for a year before we hit the jack pot and before that I spent a good chunk of time improving various health problems so we could start trying.

I'm due 8/25. I found out just before coming to visit my parents for the holidays so I don't have a midwife yet. We are planning a homebirth.

I couldn't be more excited about this pregnancy, but it is also having a hard time sinking in. I'm still turning to DH and asking if we are really pregnant.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:12 PM

Welcome gonnabeamom and Ceili! And Congratulations!!! Good luck on the homebirths.

I'm a planner to the bone. We really wanted a homebirth but we're out of range with the midwives we really love and just can't afford a homebirth outside of our insurance right now. Maybe for the next one.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:39 PM

Erin, Pattycakes, etc.-

I only taught prenatal for one term before I got pregnant (it's contagious, you know). I love it, and love challenging the women in a safe, supportive environment. I use a lot of modifications when appropriate, but I find the women appreciate doing "real" poses at a time when others think they should take the elevator, not lift more than 20 lbs., etc.

And, being a doula, I've seen what women's bodies need to DO during labor! We need those strengthening and hip-opening exercises! I've been at two of my yoga students' births, and both were short, wonderful, no drugs. Hmmm...

Anyway, happy New Year's Eve to everyone, and yes, appreciate the last childless year. Hello, 2004 babies!

Sarah
Old 12-31-2003, 03:55 PM

mcsarahb - same here. I only just finished my Pilates certification and I studied pre/post (esp c-sect recovery) specifically. I did some teaching and... here we are.

I agree... it's different now that I'm pregnant myself. I really try to teach from the "work to your own limit" point of view. I show lots of modifications for high and low level, but most people do want to work.

It's helped me so much - in fact I NEED to do it every day. It's not even optional any more... even if it's just 20 minutes while I'm watching tv. I really feel it if I don't do something. And I also know that by doing Pilates (which includes some yoga poses) I'm helping to prepare my body (and baby) for birth.

Funny story... I usually go for a walk at lunch time at work - about 20-30 minutes. I was just coming in (after someone else) and they held the elevator for me. I walked past to the stairs and said "no thanks". He got out of the elevator and stopped me. He said there was no way I should be taking the stairs (only 3 flights I do it about 4 times a day at work and then 4-6 times a day at our apt building - and have been for the 5 years!). I said "why not?". He looked at my belly and said "but... you're.. but..." I reassured him that I felt fine (and that my mw ok'd it) or I'd be takign the elevator with him. What's REALLY funny - is he just came back from working out at some over-price inner city gym! HA.

Another funny story... over Tgiving we were at our boss's house for dinner. Dh and I were moving chairs around to make room etc and help clean up. His wife came into the dining room and SCREAMED at me to "PUT THAT CHAIR DOWN IMMEDIATELY". Everyone looked at me and I just had one small chair in my hands (maybe 5 -10 lbs). I think they must have thought I had it over my head or something. HAHAHA. Now, in general I take it easy, but give me a break! If she only saw how many grocery bags I haul up the stairs on a weekly basis at our apt. heehee.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:08 PM

I'm a first timer also. I just turned 31 and DH is 35. We actively TTC (charting, timing, etc.) for 9 months before getting pg but were seeing a RE because we hadn't avoided in any way for the 3 years we'd been together so we KNEW something was wrong. Despite having very little sperm count, we managed if anyway and are very excited. We are 10+ weeks at this point, due in July.

We'll be having a hospital birth with a midwive and am considering hiring a doula because I don't think DH can handle it

I know what you mean about people feeling like PG women shouldn't do anything. During Xmas dinner at the in-laws, I helped clear the table and everyone was freaking out.

I'm so jealous of those of you who are active in yoga, pilates and other exercise. Unfortunately, due to life stress, I had been very inactive for a few months before getting pg and once PG, I've had a hard time getting into an exercise routine. I just bought two exercise videos (Leisa Hart's FitMama and Crunch's Yoga Mama) and am hoping to get into them.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:59 PM

Hey mamas-to-be!

It's 2004!

The year we become mothers. Officially.

The year our babies our born. Officially.

just wanted to share...

warmly,
claudia
mama-to-be in late spring 2004!
Old 01-01-2004, 07:57 PM

dharmama- great thread!

Hey fello may mommas, I figured I'd join you over here too. I've learned lots of neat things about ya'll- I think when we were getting to know each other in the May thread we were all in the midst of first-trimester blues.

I'm another 29-er. 30 in February. Hospital birth w/midwife and doula and hubby (of 4 yrs.)

I teach middle school math and orchestra, at least till baby comes. Then I'll work on-call in group homes for developmentally disabled adults (did it before I taught- still have ties). I'm also going to take on more private violin and viola students.

Claudia and Sarah- we HAVE to get together at some point after our little ones are born, since we live in the same city. Right now life's too crazy to even think about it. (yes, I know, I know, it'll be even crazier POST birth, but I'm still in that naive state where I think I'll just plop baby in a carrier and be off anytime I want).

Have you gals thought about post-natal support? I read a great article in the Jan/Feb Mothering about making sure we have it. I already called a friend to be my meals coordinator. I'm realizing that life will be 100% baby for quite a while, and want to make sure I'm not more overwhelmed than I have to be.

Happy 2004 to everyone!

Beth, aka fiddlefern
Old 01-01-2004, 08:27 PM

Part of my agreement with our midwives says that we will arrange for postpartum help for the 2 weeks post-birth. My Mum is coming for a month (all of our family is in Ontario we are in the States). She's coming a week before my due date in hopes of being able to be here for the birth then will stay for a full month. I've already warned her that she will be the chef and maid for a while (dh only has 1 week off).

I want to be able to just rest and focus on getting babe to nurse. I'm going to set up as much as I can before baby comes - make up meals ahead of time and freeze them, have staples on had for quick/healthy meals, extra cat food/litter on hand, etc.

DH's parents will be coming down at some point after the birth as well, but I think they will only stay a short time (I don't think I could handle much more than a week). They're the kind of people who seem to need to be entertained and that won't be happening right after the birth. My Mum is good to enterain herself if there's quiet time and won't be offended if I ask her to leave us/me alone for a while.

So, that's our plan.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:10 AM

Fiddlefern-

I'd love to get together post-baby. I think mom/baby groups are great, at all ages. When babe's little, it's good for moms to be around other women who are going through the same thing. And when babes get older, they can play together, too.

Also, it's cool you teach viola - I've been kind of half-heatedly looking for a viola teacher, since I played for ten years in school and haven't played for about 9 years since then. I really wanted to get back into it for a while. Of course that has taken a back burner during pregnancy, but we'll see. Maybe some day...

For everyone not from Portland, it has been snowing here all day, accumulation of almost 6 inches, I think. This is very rare for this area, and my dh went sledding with friends all day. He had so much fun! What a treat. Seeing him being such a "kid" made me think what a great dad he will be.

Sarah
Old 01-02-2004, 07:28 PM

Hi all first-timers! I took a little break from MDC over the holidays and just checked in today. Great thread!

I'm 32 and dh is 31. Our first is due in late May after a long TTC journey. Long story short: off the pill for 5 years, tried for 9 months, dh decided to go back to school, just let things happen for a while, began charting again last June, and got pregnant in September. I always felt the reason we weren't pregnant was because of timing...nothing physical. So, we've been married 11 years now and are totally excited about this baby! The timing is great. DH graduates May 18 and baby will come after that. The only crimp is that we will be moving back to Colorado for his new job (we know not where at this point). We plan to do the move (with lots of help) a couple weeks after baby is born. This baby knows all about the situation we're in and I'm convinced he/she is ready for it! Let's just hope we are!

I had pretty icky nausea for 3 months and am just now coming out of that. So, I'm beginning to focus on preparing my body for this amazing undertaking. I did yoga once a week before we conceived and want to get back into that. I walk to and from work, so that gives me about 2 miles max each day (in 4 spurts). I'd only gained 4 pounds a couple weeks ago, but I'm a bit overweight to begin with, so I'm okay with that. I've also been eating a lot more the past couple weeks, so my next visit will probably show that on the scale!

We're planning a homebirth with a midwife and a doula. Oh, I am also a certified doula (though I'm working an office job full-time right now so I'm not actively doula-ing) and will leave the working world when the baby comes...my job would end in May anyway since we'd be moving home. DH can support me for a while! Yay! Haven't thought about a ped. yet since we'll probably wait until we get back to Colorado to find one. Don't plan on circ. if a boy, and want to wait a bit on vaccs., so I think we'll be okay for a couple weeks...

Long, long message...oops! Slow day at work :LOL
Old 01-02-2004, 08:41 PM

Whoa, hadn't thought about post-natal support (though we still have quite a bit of time). That will be a tough one for us since DH's mother is deadly allergic to our cats and I'm deadly allergic to my mother. Most of our friends live far away and are either childless (so would be totally unwillingly to help out) or have kids of their own so wouldn't really have the time or energy. Wondering if I should hire a doula for post-partum support ...... but I guess she wouldn't help with the cooking and cleaning part Will have to start thinking about this one since it will be a difficult one for us to solve.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:51 PM

Snowbaby, some postpartum doulas DO help with the cooking and cleaning part! Not all, but definitely some do, I would check it out in your area. They are basically there to help in whatever way you need.

Also, I've seen ads for "mother's helpers" in the paper, Craig's List, etc. There are people out there.

My parents and dh's parents are all back on the East Coast. They are all planning on visits throughout the summer (my mom for at least 2 weeks right away, thank goodness), but I am sad they can't be around more than that. I have really considered moving back just because of this baby, but dh will have none of it. We have a small network of friends, for sure, but I want my family, too, kwim? I keep trying to convince my parents to move out here, too. Maybe the pull of grandchildren will be too much to resist...

Good luck!

Sarah
Old 01-06-2004, 02:02 PM

This thread is WAY too quiet!

Hope everyone's doing well.

I'm starting to feel some movement now when I lie down - not much that I notice during the day at all when I'm moving around though. Very cool!

User Tag List