Wine and Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see a lot of differing opinions; the latest seems to be that a little bit seems actually to lower the chances of miscarriage, and that children born to women who drink a small amount of wine during their pregnancies actually score higher on a variety of tests. Of course, the standard American position is to avoid alcohol altogether.

Thoughts?

***4* (3/09)**(10/09) 8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40
#2 of 34 Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 PM

Listen to your body and be frugal with portions. Many women find that they cannot tolerate the taste of wine while pregnant, while many are fine with it. I couldn't even smell it in my first trimester without getting sick (the only other food adversion I had was cheese) and now that it tastes good again drinking it makes me ill.

Also good to remember that it is dehydrating if you do decide to imbibe.
#3 of 34 Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM

I drank about a glass of red wine a week in my third trimester. I didn't really have the pickles and peanut butter type of cravings, nothing grossed me out, so drinking the wine tasted just like it did before I became preggers.
#4 of 34 Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 PM

From most of the things I've read online, alcohol becomes a problem for the fetus if you drink about 2-3 drinks a day. For most of this pregnancy, I did not drink at all, but at certain moments/holidays/celebrations, I did have a little wine/champagne and it felt fine and tasted great. I think the important thing is moderation.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#5 of 34 Old 03-19-2009, 05:32 PM

I had a couple 1/2 glasses with nice dinners with DD. I just did what felt right for me and my body. I guess I also had a couple drinks of Dh's Huckleberry beer when I was like 8 months, it was August and those sips were wonderful, huckleberry beer is yummy. A couple sips, totally fine, IMO.

One of my older friends had a midwife from Belgium who told her to drink a beer a day in the 3rd tri to help relax her and bring on her milk production, but this was like 28 years ago or something.

I actually craved beer when pg with DD in my 2nd tri- I bought Odouls, it was gross, but at the time it tasted really good. too weird.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#6 of 34 Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 PM

I personally don't think there is a reason for it. I'm also not a drinker, so I would be going from drinking a glass of alcohol once every 3 months to once a week? That doesn't make to my personal life.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#7 of 34 Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping this... seems like I'm not the only one wondering about this.

***4* (3/09)**(10/09) 8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40
#8 of 34 Old 03-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

Didn't someone just post about this the other day?

Personally, I think there's no need for it and you should just avoid it. Sure, it's probably not unsafe to have a glass once in awhile, but I still don't think you should do it. Then again, I don't drink.
#9 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 PM

My OB suggested wine or margaritta or the like in my third trimester as an alternative to anti-anxiety meds. She felt it was safer! She said as long as I don't have more then one serving a day or a few a week (don't have it every day) then the baby would be fine. She said the warnings are because of fetal alcohol syndrome, which is found in babies of mothers who consume way more then one serving a day.
#10 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 12:13 PM

BTW- I still had it rarely as although she gave me the green light I was still very cautious. In fact, I think I had one or two servings in the whole ten months of my last pregnancy.
#11 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM

here is the recent discussion Talula Fairie mentioned:

<http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1058907>

Mamma since 10/22/09
#12 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 PM

The whole -absoluely no alcohol at all- type of prohibition is a uniquely North American perspective, that puzzles a lot of Europeans. In most of Europe (except maybe the UK) the tenet is, abstinence in the first trimester - but really most women don't even know they're pregnant is the first three weeks anyway and no-one is goign to suggest that all women between 16 and 56 permenantly abstain so I don't know how much sense that advice makes. Any moderation as regards beer and wine is advised in the second trimester. No more than 1 - 5 units per week and no more than 1 unit per day. With no more than 7 units por week beign advised for the second trimester. Actually, up untl quite recently a weekly glass of stout (like Guinness) was recommended in the last trimester. In fact many obs would be more concerned about inadequate, iron & folic acid or the consumption of soft cheese and unpasteruerised milk than the occasional glass of wine. Of course the advice doesn't apply for abstainers - just as advice on redmeat eatign in pegnancy wouldn't aply to vegetarians. The risk for fetal alcohol syndrome is for women who consume way more thnba would be recommended for anyone.
#13 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't remember where I read this, but here it is anyway: There may be a correlation between your normal drinking habits and the amount of alcohol that may harm your fetus. i.e.: an alcoholic can consume more drinks without harming the fetus than a woman who drinks an occasional glass of wine with dinner can.

This has stuck with me, as I don't tend to drink much normally. I feel like there is a greater risk to my fetus than to the fetus of a seasoned drinker. I hope someone who reads this recognizes it and can link to the source of the information. It is 3 + years old ...

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#14 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post
I can't remember where I read this, but here it is anyway: There may be a correlation between your normal drinking habits and the amount of alcohol that may harm your fetus. i.e.: an alcoholic can consume more drinks without harming the fetus than a woman who drinks an occasional glass of wine with dinner can.

This has stuck with me, as I don't tend to drink much normally. I feel like there is a greater risk to my fetus than to the fetus of a seasoned drinker. I hope someone who reads this recognizes it and can link to the source of the information. It is 3 + years old ...
I'd be interested to know if that is true. Everything I read suggested that the mother's alcohol tolerance has nothing to do with the fetus' likelihood of getting FAS. I always read there is no known safe amount of alcohol, that it's different for every person and they don't know why. But I think I read that in mainstream media.
#15 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM

My midwife approved wine in moderation at the end of my last pregnancy, and I hadn't had even a sip up until that point. I think I was about 8 months along before I had any, although I'd craved it sooo badly a few times before hand. I did quite a bit of research on my own first and decided that I was comfortable with the odd 1/2 glass (with food & water). My little guy was fine and is such a little smartie that I'm sure it didn't hurt him any. This pregnancy I'm not as anxious about it and have the odd 1/4 glass of red wine, which we brew ourselves. I had a glass of red wine about every other day before I got pregnant so it is nice to be able to have a sip every now and then without guilt. I couldn't stand the taste of the alcohol in it during the first trimester but by around 13 weeks I was able to have a little bit again. I don't usually want more than 1/4 glass so really enjoy what I do have.
#16 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM

I was serving as a chalice bearer at church while pregnant with my 3rd child and was supposed to drink the left overs. My midwife said up to a full glass size a month. That seems pretty conservative to me, but that was her opinion and I stuck to it. I also had a glass or two a week before finding out I was pregnant. I was in denial so it took a while to figure out. He is 18 months now and no signs of trouble from the little bit that I had. That little bit of wine made church the highlight of my week, LOL.
#17 of 34 Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM

I had about one beer or one glass of wine a day while I was pregnant with all three of my kids. My oldest son is now in 2nd grade and his teacher sends home math enrichment books and he gets all 100%s on his spelling tests. My kindergarten age daughter is doing just fine and all three are between the 75th and 60th percentiles for height and weight. Number three is smart as a whip, too. That said, each person has different needs. For me and my kids, having one drink a day was not a problem.
#18 of 34 Old 04-01-2009, 02:37 PM

I had the occasional glass of wine or pint of Guinness while pregnant. Nothing out of my comfort zone. My child is very healthy and has reached every milestone. I don't think that has to do with the alcohol, but I don't think it harmed him either.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#19 of 34 Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Well, I am not American and I am still avoiding alcohol altogether. I don't drink regularly anyways - maximum 2 drinks a month, plus sometimes for cooking. There can be positive effects from drinking red wine, but there are also certain risks that increase tremendously. I just read a study the other day, that emphasized how imported it is to avoid alcohol especially in the first trimester, to avoid developmental issues.

Of course one cannot reduce all risks and life needs to go on. Giving up alcohol is so easy for me, maybe someone who has a harder time doing so, will feel miserable during their pregnancy, which in turn is also not considered good for the baby.

Find your own middle way and do things in moderation. I easily give up the wine, but I am not giving up the sushi completely

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#20 of 34 Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 PM

It sounds a lot to me like the issue of sunscreen. Docs recommend that you put sunscreen on 24/7, especially on your kids because they don't think we have enough common sense to use discretion in the sun. (Now we have vit d deficiencies!) They have to make hard fast rules that may be a too prudent at times in order to exercise their "duty to protect us". Maybe they feel that instead of saying "The occasional glass of wine is okay." they have to say none at all to stop the lunatics who would party it up with their prego bellies and get drunk every weekend? JMO.
#21 of 34 Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I'd be interested to know if that is true. Everything I read suggested that the mother's alcohol tolerance has nothing to do with the fetus' likelihood of getting FAS. I always read there is no known safe amount of alcohol, that it's different for every person and they don't know why. But I think I read that in mainstream media.
Thats what Ive always found in American texts. They are so afraid to say something against the mainstream that they come up with "no known safe amount". Theres no known safe amount of anything, is there?? lol. My midwifery texts say studies with up to ten units a week show no detriments. Of course, these are studies that were controlled so there were no other drugs involved, neither was there and binge drinking. Many of the american studies that claim no "safe amount" have mothers that were drinking any where from 2 to 10 drinks per day! I think thats a huge difference from a glass of wine here and there with dinner. Its so important to look at the nitty gritty with studies, technically, you could prove anything you want to with an uncontrolled experiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watershippy View Post
here is the recent discussion Talula Fairie mentioned:

<http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1058907>
lots of good info here

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#22 of 34 Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Regarding safe amounts: alcohol occurs in so many products. There are small amounts of alcohol in applesauce and still we feed our kids applesauce. Or freshly pressed fruit juice that sits for a little while tends to have some alcohol as well.

Some have pointed out, that women in other countries are less worried about alcohol during pregnancy. I am not sure how often FAS occurs in the USA, but for instance in Germany FAS and milder stages of FAE occur in at least 0.6% of births with a high number of missed cases.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#23 of 34 Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
Thats what Ive always found in American texts. They are so afraid to say something against the mainstream that they come up with "no known safe amount". Theres no known safe amount of anything, is there?? lol. My midwifery texts say studies with up to ten units a week show no detriments. Of course, these are studies that were controlled so there were no other drugs involved, neither was there and binge drinking. Many of the american studies that claim no "safe amount" have mothers that were drinking any where from 2 to 10 drinks per day! I think thats a huge difference from a glass of wine here and there with dinner. Its so important to look at the nitty gritty with studies, technically, you could prove anything you want to with an uncontrolled experiment!

Oh, I don't think a glass of wine every now and then is a big deal. I wouldn't do it, but I don't drink at all for religious reasons. If I did drink I probably wouldn't think much of it. I had a glass of champagne for new years once before I converted when I was 7 months pregnant with #2.

I was just saying that the whole "i have a tolerance so I can drink 2 drinks a day every day" thing sounds a bit off to me :
#24 of 34 Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70toes View Post
It sounds a lot to me like the issue of sunscreen. Docs recommend that you put sunscreen on 24/7, especially on your kids because they don't think we have enough common sense to use discretion in the sun. (Now we have vit d deficiencies!) They have to make hard fast rules that may be a too prudent at times in order to exercise their "duty to protect us". Maybe they feel that instead of saying "The occasional glass of wine is okay." they have to say none at all to stop the lunatics who would party it up with their prego bellies and get drunk every weekend? JMO.
I agree with the above poster. I know for me personally I had a few drinks while I was pregnant w/dd, mostly because I have anxiety problems, and went off all of the meds I was on when I found out I was pregnant, and a drink once in a while helped a lot. I didn't drink everyday and not in excess when I did. But I feel it's a lot safer then a lot of pharmaceuticals out there.
Also, I'm happy to report that DD is a very smart little girl, and has met all of her developmental milestones.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#25 of 34 Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I was just saying that the whole "i have a tolerance so I can drink 2 drinks a day every day" thing sounds a bit off to me :
hmmm, i dont agree with that argument either, Looks like we're on the same side

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#26 of 34 Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 PM

How much wine is one glass?

#27 of 34 Old 04-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

How much wine is one glass?

4 ounces I think.

#28 of 34 Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I drink wine moderately even though I'm pregnant. I avoided it during the first trimester entirely because it made me feel sick, but once I got over the morning sickness I added it back to dinner once or twice a week. I avoid fortified wines, and never have it more than twice a week. And I usually only have a half glass (2-2.5 ounces), since I'm prone to dehydration headaches moreso while pregnant.

My husband and I researched all the recent medical info on the topic, and we feel that light consumption of wine is more beneficial than harmful. I think the medical establishment really has the all-or-nothing approach because one-size-fits all advice is easier, and they don't want the liability. If you're drinking at alchoholic levels (I think defined as 3+ drinks every day - someone correct me if I'm wrong on the number), then yeah, you're probably going to have a baby suffering from fetal alchohol syndrome. The rest of us I think will give birth to healthy, fully functional children.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#29 of 34 Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM

I drink one glass a week as part of our sabbath celebration. Most of the other Jewish women in my community do as well. My children are fine and the only mc I had was very early and most likely because I had a gastric infection that landed me in the hospital.

I say that if you are a reasonable and educated person, simply do what you feel is best, and stand by your decisions.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#30 of 34 Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 PM

I figure if I don't feel any buzz, then that means my liver is clearing out the alcohol before any appreciable amount hits my bloodstream or baby's.

Then again, since I am a ridiculous lightweight, this means I can drink about 1/2 glass of wine. Oh well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page