Baby shower newbie question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I'm currently pregnant with our first child, and believe it or not I have NEVER been to a baby shower before. I know that the ladies at work are planning on having one for me, so I'm wondering what I need to know as far as etiquette. Should I get some type of thank-you gift or favors for the people that are hosting the shower (in this case, a joint effort of 10-15 people)? Is it inappropriate of me to ask if my husband can come- do dads usually go to baby showers? They haven't asked/said much about it in front of me, so I am just letting them have their fun- they have wanted me to get pregnant since I started there, just so they could have a baby shower! :-)

Thanks,
Sarah
#2 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned

Thank you cards for the gifts will suffice. The shower is about YOU, you don't have to give them gifts too!

Dad's usually don't go to the baby shower.
#3 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 PM

Baby showers are usually a ladies-only event, not that there aren't some that include men. Doesn't hurt to ask if it will be co-ed.

Thank you cards are mandatory, but I'm sure you already knew that

A token gift for the hostess (after the fact) is also a great gesture of your gratitude. A potted flower or a plate of home made cookies would be more than appropriate.
#4 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 01:49 PM

For the hostesses, since there's so many, maybe you could do one of those fruit basket things? Or a big plate of cookies. If they're all in your work center, that makes it easier. And of course thank you notes for gifts.
#5 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM

If you want it to be co-ed, you should ask for it to be. It is less conventional, but it can still be really great, especially if you're friends with a lot of couples. But let them know early in the planning process as it changes the feel and direction of a shower.
#6 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 03:03 PM

I think co-ed baby showers are a great idea. That's the kind my friend is throwing for me. It makes it less about silly games (not that there's anything wrong with that - I'm just not into it) and more of a get-together. She's calling it a Cigar and ??? Shower. Sorry, I can't remember the name right now, and it's really cute... pregnancy brain is the worst!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#7 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm assuming that it would just be at work on lunch break or something (although nobody's really said), so it's really just a question of DH coming over on his lunch hour. I'm sure he wouldn't expect them to do anything different on his account. The women are almost all in their 50s- mid 70s so I seriously doubt any of their husbands would have an interest in coming to a baby shower. :-)

Thanks for all the help- I would hate to step on anyone's toes by being clueless!

-Sarah
#8 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Just wanted to say congratulations.

Enjoy your shower.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#9 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 04:31 PM

Babyshowers are a new thing to me, too. We don't have them in the country where I grew up. From my observations around here there were always men at the babyshowers I had been invited to. Most were just large BBQs or summer garden parties, with cute decorations, and gifts for the mom. I have never received any favors or thank you notes. I guess those were rather informal invents - a lot of fun though!

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#10 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
All you need to do is show up, enjoy, and write than you notes promptly.

If the number of hosts were smaller a small token might be nice but it isn't necessary. I would just add your thanks in the thank you notes.
#11 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 PM

I have never been to a ladies only baby shower, but maybe its only my area that does that as its so common.

Thank you cards for the people that get you gifts is a good idea. Usually the one that is throwing you the party will sit next to you as you open gifts and write down gift description and who it is from so it makes thank you cards easier.

Wear something flattering, there will be lots of pictures

And get ready for silly pregnancy and baby comments, and old wives tales just remember most people 'don't know any better'

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#12 of 12 Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I've only been to a women-only baby shower once. All of the others I've been to (including the ones for our baby) included women and men and, in most cases, children. :-)

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page