Natural remedies during pregnancy for depression and anxiety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently taking Omega capsules, 5 a day, Magnesium supplement called Tranquilty, Prenatal vitamins, Bach Rescue Remedy and a combo Homeopathic remedy called Calm. The depression is hitting me hard and getting through the days is a real challenge. I have 5 kids and no partner and i'm pregnant with number six. Any ideas?
#2 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 PM

:
#3 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Was something helping before you got pregnant, or has it become worse with pregnancy?
#4 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Here is a good site.Read a bit.

natural remedies
#5 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Herbs that are safe to take while pregnant and help ease anxiety, depression, and stress:
Oatstraw
Lemon balm
Scullcap
Passion Flower
Chamomile
Lavendar

In addition - Low blood sugar, dehydration, and lack of sleep (with five kids and one on the way - I'm sure you always get pleanty of rest - NOT!) can result in depression. So make sure you drink pleanty of water and fresh fruit juices, make sure you're having healthy snacks, try to get pleanty of sleep as best you can, exercise, try to take a renewing soak in the tub if and when you can. Be gentle with yourself.

If none of that helps I highly recommend reading "A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health". I cannot recommend it enough!

Hope you feel better soon mama!!!
#6 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Valarian Root is pregnancy safe and great for anxiety, but I'm not sure about an anxiety depression combo as prolonged use or high doses can cause or exacerbate depression.
#7 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, i will check out that site and keep those herbs in mind. I did find a pregnancy stress tincture that has many of those herbs in it. Guess i will check it out. I have always just dealt with the depression and anxiety but all the sudden it feels out of control. I have had a very stressful last few years and i think it is catching up with me a bit. Many children and no help and then my new partner leaving me after i found out i was pregnant (while taking birth control). I'm alone with the kids all the time and i think that my not getting any nurturing or support has worn me out. I'm pretty good about my diet but right now with the depression and anxiety i haven't been able to eat very much. My mood fluctuates every few weeks or so. I have an appt with an accupuncurist/chinese herbalist next week and also with a therapist but not for two more weeks. I just want to find some joy in life and not feel so overwhelmed with everything.
#8 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 PM

Hi ((((((((((Avani)))))))) I'm so sorry you're feeling blue. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, then to add PG hormones .... WOH! Hang in there, Girl.

I've been reading a wonderful book that a lot of people talk about on here. I keep thinking how this book would've been a great guide for me during my other pregnancies, when I was very depressed. It complements our journeys through pregnancy, and also has a lot of ideas of healing things that can drive depression. It's called _Painless Childbirth_ by Guiditta Tornetta. What a gem of a book!!!!

I was going to recommend therapy, but it sounds like you've got that covered. Therapy, fish oil, and soul searching were the things that got me thru my depression and also helped me deal with the heavy financial strain my family is under.

Hold on and know that things will get better!!!!!!
Blessings to you!!!!

Penny

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#9 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM

homeopathic Aconitum has helped me with anxiety. Also, a lot of openness and talking has gotten me through a lot of issues. It seems like every time I share my feelings with someone, a little bit of it gets lifted away. I hope you have someone you can talk to, and if not, maybe writing would help. Good luck to you... and remember to look at lots of pictures of baby feet! You can't not smile when you see them.
#10 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Talking does help, admitting it can be so hard! But some people say things to make it worse for me. Like today i told a friend how i felt afraid of going crazy and then my kids wouldn't have someone to care for them. She told me that maybe i should set up help so that i could go check myself in somewhere. Just not supportive and telling me everything is alright and i'm not going to go crazy. My midwife today told me she wants me to try meds out because my situation is fu#$ed and anyone in my position would be feeling the same way. I really want to stay away from meds and just get through this pregnancy in one piece and then have the ability to stay nutritionally and physically healthy enough to be able to cope with my life. Anyone that can tell me i will get through this and offer their support is where i feel better. So i worry about telling people in the event they will trigger something worse for me! I got in tomorrow with a hypnotherapist and i truly help that might help.
#11 of 14 Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avani View Post
Talking does help, admitting it can be so hard! But some people say things to make it worse for me. Like today i told a friend how i felt afraid of going crazy and then my kids wouldn't have someone to care for them. She told me that maybe i should set up help so that i could go check myself in somewhere. Just not supportive and telling me everything is alright and i'm not going to go crazy. My midwife today told me she wants me to try meds out because my situation is fu#$ed and anyone in my position would be feeling the same way. I really want to stay away from meds and just get through this pregnancy in one piece and then have the ability to stay nutritionally and physically healthy enough to be able to cope with my life. Anyone that can tell me i will get through this and offer their support is where i feel better. So i worry about telling people in the event they will trigger something worse for me! I got in tomorrow with a hypnotherapist and i truly help that might help.
I agree with your midwife. There are meds that are safe and can help you sooo much. And your kids that you already have. I know it is hard. I have been there.
#12 of 14 Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avani View Post
My midwife today told me she wants me to try meds out because my situation is fu#$ed and anyone in my position would be feeling the same way. I really want to stay away from meds and just get through this pregnancy in one piece and then have the ability to stay nutritionally and physically healthy enough to be able to cope with my life.
If that is really want you most want I must once again HIGHLY recommend "A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health" by Dean Raffelcok, Robert Roundtree, and Virginia Hopkins
#13 of 14 Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 PM

i took the homepathic remedy nat mur (natrum muriaticum) for post partum depression for over a year and it helped a lot. it's safe during pregnancy, and essentially is cell salts.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#14 of 14 Old 03-24-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

I really want to check out cell salts. I saw the hypnotherapist today for the first time. I really liked her and she helped me feel calmer and less scared. I have to admit i fought the hypnotherapy somewhat. I would get a random panic attack and my subconscious kept trying to take control. I had a lot of control to release just to relax. At one point she said it was time for me to change my negative though patterns and i saw all of this random spots of light and felt like my whole inner being was struggling against that. She feels confident that i will feel really good within a few sessions and i did feel really relaxed after our meeting. I saw my midwife also who is going to do a negative energy clearing session for me with her assistants. I'll take any support i can get right now! Thanks mama's! And i will order that book tomorrow if our herb store doesn't have it.

I wanted to add that the midwife assistant recommended Blue Vervain for the depression.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page