How can you tell if your BP is high? - Mothering Forums
I'm Pregnant > How can you tell if your BP is high?
jeliphish's Avatar jeliphish 11:50 AM 03-24-2009
I am struggling to see clearly and you know that feeling you get when you hear something gross or see too much blood.....that tingly light-headedness? That's how I feel and Im just sitting. I have an OB appt at 11:30 but I feel on the verge of passing out. I am chugging water and about to lay on my left side.
UGH....I am not a good pregnant person, but the end result is sooooooo worth it!!

newmommy_'s Avatar newmommy_ 12:59 PM 03-24-2009
The only way to find out if you have high blood pressure is to have your blood pressure checked.I don't know another way.
Guinevere's Avatar Guinevere 01:16 PM 03-24-2009
newmommy is exactly right -- the only way to know for sure is to have your blood pressure taken. Some people experience symptoms with high BP like extreme fatigue, dizziness, visual disturbances, headaches, but those symptoms can also be due to other things (like low blood sugar, for example.) Moreover, lots of people can have sky-high BP and have NO symptoms at all, and so they have no idea anything's wrong. That's why hypertension is known as the silent killer.

I hope your OB appt. goes well and your BP is just fine; have you ever had high BP before? Keep us updated!

Guin
jeliphish's Avatar jeliphish 03:17 PM 03-24-2009
just got back from my appointment....blood pressure was really low ironically. 110/60. I don't know what was wrong with me this morn, I just felt like I was on the verge of passing out.
belltree's Avatar belltree 03:24 PM 03-24-2009
110/60 sound good and healthy and not low to me. Maybe your blood pressure was lower this morning. I sometimes feel faint and have fainted, when I have low blood pressure. I wouldn't know the symptoms of high blood pressure, as I never had to deal with it.
Aufilia's Avatar Aufilia 03:38 PM 03-24-2009
I was going to also suggest low blood pressure -- at my appointment last Friday my midwife commented that mine was pretty low, and that I might feel faint (especially if I stand up fast or something) as a result. She suggested eating some salt if I felt faint.
minsca's Avatar minsca 05:05 PM 03-24-2009
I always have had a problem with low (though still in the normal range, just low) blood pressure. And everytime the dr takes my blood pressure he asks "Do you have a problem with dizziness and feeling faint when you stand up." (which I do). It is common to be dizzy and lightheaded and I even lose my vision for a few seconds when I stand up.
christy005's Avatar christy005 07:59 PM 03-24-2009
I am having problems with high blood pressure now, and I honestly have NO symptoms, besides swelling, but I also stand a lot. No headaches, blurry vision, etc. The only way I know is to have it checked.
newmommy_'s Avatar newmommy_ 08:48 PM 03-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy005 View Post
I am having problems with high blood pressure now, and I honestly have NO symptoms, besides swelling, but I also stand a lot. No headaches, blurry vision, etc. The only way I know is to have it checked.
Check your blood pressure.

I have a normal bp 115/75 thanks for leaving junk food.
annekh23's Avatar annekh23 09:12 PM 03-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
just got back from my appointment....blood pressure was really low ironically. 110/60. I don't know what was wrong with me this morn, I just felt like I was on the verge of passing out.
I don't find that ironic, I was reading your original post and thought it sounded more like low blood pressure! One of the reasons why high blood pressure is such a problem in our society is because it does have no clear symptoms.
Up