Remedies for trapped gas??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ob informed me that, while the lower part of my abdomen is all baby, the swelling in my top half is...well... a gas baby : She told me to take Gas-x, but that hasn't depleted the situation. To make matters worse, the list of gas causing foods is basically everything I like (and can handle) eating right now.

Does anyone have suggestions for minimizing gas???

Thanks!!!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#2 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Grin and bear it is the only remedy I know. I am that way in early pregnancy too. Sucks.
#3 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 PM

Celery seeds chew (but don't swallow) and carbonated water can help a lot.It helped me.
#4 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM

My doctor said to "lay" on the ground with your knees to your chest and your face on the floor, basically curled up with your butt in the air. The air rises so it helps pass gas. It's not perfect, but it helps.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#5 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyBean View Post
My doctor said to "lay" on the ground with your knees to your chest and your face on the floor, basically curled up with your butt in the air. The air rises so it helps pass gas. It's not perfect, but it helps.
My DH swears by this technique (for himself).
#6 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM

I second BellyBean's suggestion. Lay bum up, and let gravity work for you instead of against you. I also found that sometimes shifting from 1 side to the other lets the gas follow the natural path of your intestines. If it feels 'trapped' just try the other side. It's not pretty, but it worked to get rid of the worst of it for me.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#7 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 PM

OMG, I thought I was the only one who got into 'the' position when I had really bad gas pains. I'm not alone! YAY! LOL. It really does work though. It's similar to being in the 'doggy style' sex position , and um.... let 'er rip!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#8 of 11 Old 03-25-2009, 07:39 AM
rrs

Yep, butt in the air works for me too.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#9 of 11 Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 AM

haha. I call that the triangle position. Head down on the floor and line up your knees to make a triangle, looking backwards!

Sometimes a warm bath can help too. And making sure you chew slowly and well.

Oh the pain of gas!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#10 of 11 Old 03-26-2009, 02:24 PM

The kneeling position sometimes works for me but in the first trimester evilness this time, I spent a whole lot of time lying on my side on the couch with the top leg bent and propped up on the back of the couch (I was facing the back of the couch). And switching sides sometimes. That helped a lot. Also, you can try lying on your back and pulling one knee at a time into your chest.

And peppermint. Altoids have lots of real peppermint oil.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
#11 of 11 Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 PM

I have this problem all the time even before pg.
I agree with the knees to chest, but I have much more success when I lay on my back and draw my knees up to my chest. Also laying on my left side helps sometimes.
I am talking digestive enzymes right now and they seem to be helping me. I would consider trying these if you think what you're eating could be making it worse.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page