Mothering Forum banner

Jan/Feb Mamas Jan 1-15--HOME STRETCH!!!

5K views 176 replies 21 participants last post by  Megs Mom 
#1 ·
Dec 16-31 thread

Thought I'd start the new thread, give Devrock a break. Please PM me with new updates!!

UPDATES:

Megs Mom: Twins Patrick and Catherine born Christmas Eve!
Milkfacemama: Twin girls Sadie and Ella born on Jan. 5!

January EDDs:

Jen PN--1/12/04

EmmaJean: Jan 14 is my due date! Baby girl is closer to being named, and I'm anticipating my 2nd homebirth, but this time using HynoBabies!

2much2luv: My EDD is Jan 20th but I am guessing the 27th or so. Planning an unnasisted birth with dh and my other two girls, 3 1/2 and 2. Expecting a girl we think who will most likely be named Eden Elizabeth. Can't wait to meet her!!!

MomInFlux: My edd is roughly 1/20

Mothernature: 1/26/04

Imonion2: EDD 1/24-1/29

jess7396: 1/31/04

its_our_family: 2/8/04 at the latest!

saintmom: 37 wks

MamaOui: Expecting Elsa Shea in Jan. '04

February EDDs:

chie96: 2/2/04

Devrock: edd 2/2/04--I am now 35 weeks with Rebecca Anne or Alexander Philip

ChasingPeace: EDD is 2/6/04.

DarkHorseMama: 2/8/04

mom2anna: I am due 2/8, sex of baby unknown but I think it is a boy

milkymama: 34 wks

USAmma: 34wks--on bedrest/modified activities since 23 weeks due to irritable uterus and early dilation; terb as needed

Mountainmommy: baby Rhiannon due Feb 2004

tanjarine: mama to Raven 11, Jakob 4, Benjamin 2, and due February 16~

Alstrameria: due February 20 (that's what I say)...taking a month off work to not relax with my sunny toddler

Karry--2/04

Oklahoma Mama:

See less See more
#3 ·
Happy New Year! We went to an awesome party last night with 6 other couples and there babies. It was soooo fun until everyone started smoking pot. I am no goodie 2 shoes but there were babies running all around so we left shortly thereafter.

I am too lazy to go back and check who said they were depressed but I was a basket yesterday. Cried all morning and was in my pajamas until 4pm. I think it was mostly exhaustion but also the reality of another baby coming is starting to hit me. We ordered our birth kit and I am finally sorting through baby clothes. I feel better today but my hormones are all over the place!

#4 ·
Thanks for starting a new thread, I saw that we needed one, but was too lazy to do it myself

I have had some days of feeling depressed too, but nesting has helped a bit. I am nervous about a new baby coming, I'm not getting a lot of sleep, and know it is going to be getting any better
, I guess I am forgetting all the "great" about a brand new baby.

I am back to feeling great, this pregnancy has been substantially easier (knock on wood) than my first 2.

The thing that is bothering me somewhat now, is that everyone we see says that I don't look big enough to be 9 months pregnant. I have gained 35 pounds, so it's not like I haven't gained enough, but with my other 2 pregnancies (and earlier in this one), everyone said how huge I was, and I prefer to hear that, I think of big babies as healthy babies, who are easier to nurse. I am hoping for this child to be over 8 pounds. I have a check-up on Monday, so my OB will ease my fears, she's good like that

I bet this thread give us a bunch more births before we start another

#5 ·
Thanks for the new thread.
Can't wait to see how many babies we have in the near future!

I think it was Chasing Peace who was talking about being depressed, and I can relate. Last week was very hard for me, I thought it was probably hormonal. I feel much better this week.

#6 ·
Happy New Year, everyone!
Thanks for the new thread, EmmaJean!

Things here are OK. MIL (I usually like her very much) is here and driving me batty. Everything she does is getting on my last nerve. Actually, DH and I have been a bit phobic about colds and flu as I approach my last few weeks. We actually asked my parents not to come to visit over Christmas as planned b/c they had recently been ill, as had DD and I. We specifically asked MIL not to come if she had so much as a runny nose...and damned if she didn't show up coughing and wiping her nose!
I am pretty ticked. It's not like we can ask her to leave, either. She drove quite a ways to be here. Anyhow I told DH that if anyone dares to drive up after DD#2 is born and so much as sneezes, I am sending them packing!

Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396
I have had some days of feeling depressed too...I am nervous about a new baby coming, I'm not getting a lot of sleep, and know it is going to be getting any better
, I guess I am forgetting all the "great" about a brand new baby.\
Jess you probably summed it up for many of us. I, too, am nervous about DD#2. When I first got pg, even though it was planned, I thought, "OMG - what have we done?" I am so scared of short-changing DD#1. She is my world and I can't imagine how I can possibly give her the time, attention, love, etc. she is used to once #2 gets here. And then I am terrified of short-changing #2. How can I possibly hold and cuddle with DD#2 as much as I have with my 1st - and how do I give her the undivided attention that I have given #1? It's a scary thought. Plus, I don't do so well with stressful situations and I am very, very scared of ending up with PPD (I now think I had it with #1 for the 1st 6 mos. or so). It's a frightening thought as well. But - I am also looking forward to meeting the tiny creature that I have carried in my belly and talked to and played with for the last 9 months. I dream about her and I love her so much already that it brings tears to my eyes. Meeting her will be such a special moment...

Ah...starting to get weepy now so I'd better go.
Y'all have a wonderful evening!

#8 ·
wow, MegsMom...what a neat thread. I know that we will all be doing some mourning for that special time with our firstborn. I really agree with the mama that wrote about not being able to just get up and go, do whatever with her firstborn anymore. That will be me...Toby is at the stage where I usually just throw a diaper in my regular purse and head out the door...so life with a newborn will undoubtedly be different for us both.

Wierd about yeaterday and depression...I think that IOF was also in the funk and so was I...so much so that I couldn't even get it together to post...a good cry sorted me out though...I feel so much more relaxed today. Basically it was the typical overwhelmed by all the things that need to be done sorta thing, coupled with the fact that mu hubby has been on planet workaholism...we sorted that out last night too. I think that depression, crying, losing it, and whatever esle people choose to call it serves a definite POSITIVE function during pregnancy. I feel so much more together today.

#9 ·
I had my 34 weeks appt. on Tuesday and baby is heads-down and at +1 station! This girl is ready to come! My doctor said I could get off terb if I wanted to, but I'm staying on for another 2 weeks as needed.

The last couple of days, esp. last night, I've had prodomal labor (as opposed to just bh cx). It's more intense, cx 3-4 min. apart, and I can feel pressure and pulling on my cervix when I get the cx. Took terb and it stopped. I'm losing bits of plug too, and had upset stomach this morning. So it could be any time now, or it could be weeks away. I had *weeks* of prodromal labor with dd and then she surprised everyone by being born only 4 days before her due date. And thanks to all the false starts it was a very fast but intense delivery.

Then end is in sight for me! Yeah! 1.5 more weeks and I'm off terb and restrictions. Just in time for my 8th wedding anniversary. You *know* we are going to be celebrating. lol!

Darshani
on bedrest/modified activities since 23 weeks due to irritable uterus and early dilation
terb as needed

#10 ·
Thanks EmmaJean for the new thread. I too was too lazy to do it myself.

Glad you finally joined us USAmma.

MegsMom- I'm in tears from reading that thread.

Chie- I hope you and yours stay healthy. My FIL brought the flu to us over Thanksgiving and we were not thankful.
I hope your MIL just has allergies.

I can't wait until we have more newborns!

#11 ·
Contractions,contractions,contractions,Can't sleep,baby won't stop kicking between times when I lay down.the house is blessedly quiet so I guess it's a good time to be up and dealing with labor...if that's what I'm doing....can't think straight..Trying sleepy time to relax and get some rest....Goodluck everybody looks like I'm at the end or beginning of this journey

#12 ·
Hi, Darshani! I was wondering when you were going to join us! I'm excited for you getting to come off your meds. That's amazing that a drug can work so well! It must be frustrating though to have lots of prodomal labor, and even losing bits of your plug! Oh, and enjoy your anniversary!

saintmom, that would be awesome if this were the real thing!!

Well, I just barfed for the first time my whole preg! It is so weird b/c there's no good reason for it. I took my prenatal vit. on an empty stomach right before bed (occasionally I get a bit nauseous from them) and 10 min. later I'm...you know... ick! But all I had in my tummy was the vit., so that's good! Now I'm having lots of tightness and the baby punching my bladder, so I better go to bed. Today I had my FIRST real case of *nesting*!! Cleaned lots of closets and bathrooms!! I always told myself that whenever I finally did start to nest, the baby would be coming soon! Hopefully I'm right, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Today we also blew up the pool, and I'm SOOOO excited to get in there! We were really close to filling it up so ds and I could swim in it, but thought we better wait. VERY exciting!

Well, I'm off to bed and listen to my hypnobabies cd. It's so nice to have that to put me to sleep at night! LOL

#13 ·
OK, that link just brought me to tears. MegsMom, here's a hug to you and to all the other mamas.

I am thinking back to how I felt once my son was born and my daughter wasn't an "only" any longer. I felt incredibly guilty towards her because the pregnancy with him had been so horrible, I was in and out of the hospital constantly and when I was out, we couldn't do the things we usually did. DD was almost 7 when ds was born, and we were definitely used to doing things our way--trips to the movie theater, shopping, out to lunch, etc. It was a hard adjustment for both of us, but now I can't imagine not having DS around all the time, he's my constant companion during the day now that DD is in school. Now, my concern is for him, since he's been my baby for almost 4 years and will have to share me some more.

The best balm for any concerns was seeing my children interact with each other--they had a new relationship that was so special.

Welcome Darshani.
Glad you joined us. I am 35 weeks and have decided to wean off of the Procardia because I think it was a factor in my depression--it made me so fatigued sometimes, it made for a very irritable wife and mother. I stopped taking it a few days ago, and will just wait and see what happens. I contract constantly now, but nothing major except for the intense pressure in my cervix. UH, a personal question, but what did the chunks of mucous plug look like? I have had some thicker, stringy discharge but wasn't sure if it was the plug or not.

saintmom--you sound so very close. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

chie--I'd be a little ticked about the MIl showing up sick, too!! I am so paranoid right now that someone will be sick when the baby is born.

Emma--blech on the nausea and vomiting. I seem to have some nausea each evening, but nothing that has made me want to throw up.
I think it's interesting that so many of us are experiencing this "return" of an early pg symptom.

Nesting--had a major cleaning day last week--hands and knees cleaning the kitchen and the bathrooms, claned out closets and decided what outfit the baby will wear home. I have the changing table set and ready to go, bought some tiny sposies to use for the first week or so, and the bassinet is right next to the bed, waiting. We also bought a digital camera the other day so we have that all set and waiting. The only thing lacking is a name still.

Ok, gonna run...have a great day, mamas.

#14 ·
Thanks for the nice welcome! :) I was meaning to join sooner but I'll warn you all now, I stink at responding to messages. I read through them all and shake my head, smile at the stories, cry with you, but don't respond to every post. Just enjoying reading about the pregnancies!

Imonion2, congrats on making it this far!! I was going to take doctor's advice about not taking terb any more but the cx got so uncomfortable I was actually sore today from the episode over the last two days. I am just afraid I'll have her too soon. My goal is to take her home from the hospital with me. It's been an interesting mental transition, spending most of the pg trying to keep her in, and now buying EPO and looking forward to walking and sex to try to get her out.

Quote:
I contract constantly now, but nothing major except for the intense pressure in my cervix. UH, a personal question, but what did the chunks of mucous plug look like? I have had some thicker, stringy discharge but wasn't sure if it was the plug or not.
Ugh! That pressure is so intense at times! Right now baby's pushing against my spine with her legs and her head is being jammed further down. I have to give my cervix a lot of credit for hanging in there this long. I'm going to start EPO at week 36 and see if we can get this show on the road.

Okay, this is gross. Just warning you all now. EmmaJean please don't read this unless you want to get sick again.

The "mature" plug looks like a gelatinous booger. Not at all creamy, but very firm and varies in color from clear to yellow, to blood-tinged. I lost part of mine about 10 days ago after being roughly examined in the hospital after a run of cx and back cramping. They sent me home still contracting because I hadn't dilated any and it stopped a few hours later.

Since then I've been getting the "immature" plug material from my body trying to regenerate it. Very thick mucousy yellowish stuff. Like if that kind came out of my nose I'd think I had a really bad sinus infection. But not the gelatinous texture of the mature plug. Does that make any sense?

About mourning the loss of special time with first child. I guess I haven't done that too much yet. I did mourn her growing up even as I rejoiced at her being able to do more for herself (like being potty trained!). I did mourn moving her out of our room but family bed was not working anymore. I was touched out and kicked out and dh was not getting any sleep either. I used to go get her in the mornings and hold her hand and lead her back to my bed for a snuggle, but just recently started encouraging her to come to my bed by all by herself in the morning because I might be busy with baby when she wakes up. I feel sad that I had to teach her that but she was proud that she came to me "all by herself" and we cuddled a bit before we both got up. She "helps" pull me out of bed. lol!

Today I bought a couple pacifiers for baby (am going to be pumping and bottlefeeding like I did with dd-- long story) and she wanted a pacifier too, so I bought her one. How silly is that? Buying a paci for a 3 year old? She doesn't even use them, she sucks her fingers when she's tired. But I don't want her to be jealous, and it helps her to explore the fact that she's grown up now. She asked to drink from bottles earlier in the pg but got tired at working so hard to get the water out and went back to cups. I humor her because I want it to be a self-driven transition on her part.

So is anyone using a doula? I'm so excited. I asked a mommy friend of mine to be my doula and we had our first prenatal appt. this week. She's awesome! I feel so much more confident that my wishes will be respected and she'll help to make this a good experience for dh and I. She also helped me to finalize my birth plan without pushing any kind of personal agenda on me. Which is important as I have a lot of personal issues that will make me choose a few things that are not exactly natural childbirth.

Last birth was very peaceful and nice, but I had NO support from friends/family. Dh is from India and was detached from the birth process. The whole birth process in his culture is "women's business". I do give him credit for being at my side and cutting the cord. MIL just stared at my nether regions the whole time and didn't offer even a hand to hold. This time I've invited my doula and 2 girlfriends, both of whom invited me to their births earlier. Not sure if one can make it as she's nursing a wee one, but she's going to try to at least come for the end part if she can. Dh is also reading more and very interested in the process of birth and more supportive of my choices vs. blindly following the doctor. He's turned into a real natural childbirth advocate all of a sudden and now understands why it's great for a birthing woman to be surrounded by other women if she so chooses.

So what do you want to be different at this birth vs. your last one (for the repeat mommies)?

Darshani

#15 ·
Hi, ladies! Welcome, Darshani! I can relate about your DH being detached from the birth process. My DH is from Lebanon, and is very afraid of the whole birth process, although he's planning to be there with me as long as he can do it without freaking out! For that reason, my mom is going to be my birth partner, but honestly, I feel like I'm in this pretty alone. My Mom lives an hour and a half away, and she had extremely fast labors (the longest was 2 hours!), which my MW says might be hereditary. Fortunately the birth center we're giving birth in has one-on-one nurse staffing, so I'm hoping that will make it easier.

I'm sorry to learn that other mamas are feeling depressed, although maybe it's more common than I thought. I saw my MW today, and she gave me a prescription for Paxil. She emphasized that it was my decision whether to take it or not, and advised me to start walking outside everyday. I guess I'll try walking and flaxseed oil for a week to see if it helps. My concern (and hers) is post-partum. With antidepressants taking a few weeks to kick in, I'm not sure if I want to risk feeling even worse after the baby's born.

I hope all mamas stay healthy and are successful in fighting off all these germs going around!

Emmajean--thanks for starting this thread! I'm enjoying my hypnobabies training, too, especially the pregnancy affirmations tape. I can't wait to hear how it works for you!

#16 ·
Darshani,
Thanks for the description of the mucous
I lost the whole plug with my son, but I am not sure what is goingon with my discharge--sounds kind of like your description of the plug regenerating itself, but if I've never lost it, it wouldn't need to regenerate itself, right? LOL Too confusing, I guess I won't worry about it.

I'm wondering about IOF--haven't heard from her and from her description of how she was feeling the other day...

#17 ·
My partner just lost his job.

I have had to make my signature a little more income-oriented.

#19 ·
Devrock
I am so sorry, I know how the economic climate is around upstate NY, and I hope he finds something very soon. My dh and I have lived through many lay-offs, thank goodness for unemployment to get you through, but it's hard if your already struggling on the income to begin with.

PS- my dh always seems to get laid off when I am pregnant too

#20 ·
Everything seems to have settled down.Slept well the last two nights.I'm beginning to wonder if i might make it close to my due date.My vans in the shop-dh hit a deer-so I've been so house bound.My whole family is HOVERING waiting for the big day.I wish I could just hike off somewhere quiet in the woods and peacefully give birth-but it is WINTER! oh well

#21 ·
Hey ladies--

I'm still here...talk about false labor!! My dh was gone at a youth lockin and I almost called him to come home! Every night and most of the day I've been experiencing the same thing. These contrax are so much harder than any I remember having with ds. I cannot walk through them but they aren't staying around. I have an appt on Wednesday and I'm hoping to have made at least some progress. if I haven't I'll be a little discourged! But I told baby that unless he was coming in 2003 he had to wait till i hit 37 weeks.

Ds got that stupid cold and he is SOOO grouchy! Nothing is what he wants. He has only been running a fever at night but it did stick around this morning. I CANNOT GET SICK! uckily he has been sleeping great. Only waking once and then sleeping another 6 or 8 hours

So, we'll see if this kid comes soon. I'm really praying it is before the 8th of Feb. My babyshower is Jan 18 but I'm hoping to be taking a newborn with me!!

Sorry I gotta go....ds is whining again!

#22 ·
Thanks, Megs Mom and Jess. I'm really scared, because the last time he lost his job it took months to find a new one, and we couldn't get unemployment because he was fired for cause (it was BS, but that's a long story -- they actually got rid of him because he developed carpal tunnel, but they said it was because of something else) and also because he technically has his own home business. I was selling my belongings on eBay just to keep us in food -- wasn't able to pay rent or bills. And I wasn't pregnant then. I'm so scared of a repeat of that. He wasn't fired for cause this time -- the entire chain he works for (worked for) went out of business. But technically he still has a home business in his name, even though he has *never* made a profit from it and he can't even do it any more because of the carpal tunnel. I don't know if we'll be able to get unemployment or not.

Sorry about the pity party!

#23 ·
SBFmommy, just wanted to say I'm sorry that your partner lost his job!! How stressful! Hope he gets something new soon. I'm sending thoughts and wishes your way.

Darshani

#24 ·
Devrock, what does your new name mean?

Tell him to look into unemployment, he might be pleasantly surprised, my dh has his own "business" as a free-lance artist, but he just has to claim anything he makes that week and he gets that lessened from the unemployment (when he's on it, which TG now he's not).

Any chance he could subsitute teach something? When my dh has been laid off in the past I have taught (granted I have a degree in it, but many subs don't), it helps a bit with the bills though, and it's not hard or stressful so long as you like kids

I hope something works out, it is not fair to be stressed at this point in a pregnancy, you need to have just happy feelings

Now- on my own train of thoughts about pregnancy

I got my reminder call from my OBs office yesterday- and on the voice mail the nurse identified herself as being from <insert new OB whom I do not like one bit's name here> office, as opposed to *MY* OB whom I was supposed to be seeing this time(they usually say they are from whatever Dr. you are supposed to see). I really want someone to tell me that everything is fine- I am feeling funny about all the comments about how I don't look big enough to be having a baby soon. I know *my* OB would reassure me, but the other one is the one who wanted to do an U/S before b/c she thought I was "measuring behind", and tried to get me all worked up. At that point I knew all was fine, so she wasn't able to scare me, but this time she just might. I told dh that if she starts with me, I am going to DEMAND to see my own OB (if she is there), and if she's not there, I'll come back when she is.

So, someone tell me that they have looked small at this point in the pregnancy, and that the baby has come out nice and big, make me feel better, please! With my other 2 I was HUGE at this point and very uncomfortable, and they were normal weights (between 7 and 8 pounds), this time, I really am not all that big, and pretty darn comfortable, if I do say so without knocking on wood.

OK, enough about me- no wait- more about me

I have been telling the kids (dd- 3.5 and ds 2) about how mommy is going to go in to have the baby, and grammy and daddy will be with me, but grampy will be with them, and then bring them to the hospital right away after baby is born, etc.etc.etc., I even told them about the c-birth and how that happens (which surprisingly, they had no problem with- except dd wants daddy to just cut me open in the kitchen with one of our knives
:
: ) Anywho- I hadn't thought to tell them about me STAYING in the hospital a few days and nights, so I told them, thinking ds might have a problem with it. Well, dd's little lip started to quiver as I talked, and then she just broke down about not wanting me to stay there, wanting me to come home right after Sean is born, etc. Poor little thing- so I- being great role model quick thinking consumer mother told her I would buy her presents to open while I am gone, and that seemed to help
: . I know that was not the best way to handle it, but I just did not know what else to do
I never expected that she would have a problem with it, she sleeps alone, and daddy could put her down.

OK, now I truly have rambled too much about ME, again.

Belly rubs to all.

Analisa- how is the nursing coming along?

#25 ·
Thank you, USAmma.

Quote:
Devrock, what does your new name mean?
Sustained BreastFeeding

Quote:
Tell him to look into unemployment, he might be pleasantly surprised
Oh, he's definitely going to apply. I just don't know if he will get it.

Quote:
my dh has his own "business" as a free-lance artist, but he just has to claim anything he makes that week and he gets that lessened from the unemployment (when he's on it, which TG now he's not).
In my state, people who have their own home business are not eligible for unemployment.

Quote:
Any chance he could subsitute teach something? When my dh has been laid off in the past I have taught (granted I have a degree in it, but many subs don't), it helps a bit with the bills though, and it's not hard or stressful so long as you like kids
Thank you for the suggestion. He will definitely be applying for every job in sight.

#26 ·
I just realized you ARE in my state. Maybe the rules have changed?
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.