Weight Watchers during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi -

Has anyone followed WW or anything similar during pregnancy, to try and keep your weight gain in control?

I am about 25lbs overweight. My daughter just turned 1 and I decided to get myself back in shape and start WW. (I gained 47lbs with her and was a whopping 234lbs the day I delivered. Which wasn't good for either of us.)

This week (week one of WW!) I found out I was pregnant. I am pleased about the pregnancy but I really, really don't want to gain the way I did. According to my doctor, I should only be gaining 15 - 25lbs with this pregnancy.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mama to my monkey since March 2008, wife to my husband since February 2004. After three early losses, we were successful with IVF!  joy.gif
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif  

#2 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 PM

I was considering following the nursing mom's plan.... but have not been in the mood to count points.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#3 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 07:50 PM

I'm a big fan of WW, but would be leery of anyone being on it while pregnant, especially since you're only 25 pounds overweight (if severely obese, it might be a different situation). Restricting even to the recommended amounts for nursing moms (10 points more than the regular woman per day) still might not be enough and you don't want to over restrict. I wouldn't try to keep to a particular points goal while pregnant. that said, WW does have other good food lessons abuot making healthy choices, choosing high quality, filling foods, etc., getting sufficient fruits, veggies, and calcium, and all of that seems like a good thing to stick by and could possibly help with your keeping the weight loss down to a healthier amount than last time. Good luck!
#4 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you're in the US, they'll kick you out when they realize you're pregnant. A better idea may be to follow a healthy diet plan like the GD diet, without the massive amounts of carbs that are in it...
#5 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM

I would be highly concerned about any mama trying to lose weight while pregnant. IMO, you should be more concerned about making sure your little one gets a healthy balanced whole foods diet than the amount of weight you may or may not gain. If you're concerned about gaining, then the best thing you can do is remove sugar and refined grains from your diet (pasta, bread, anything containing flour). Next, you can limit grains to one serving/day or 2-3 servings/week. If that is insufficient for you, then removing all grains would be the next step. By no means should you be limiting protein or (healthy) fats during pregnancy, since that is what your body uses to build the baby.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 PM

Lifetime WW member here.....

Once you find out you are pregnant, your body NEEDS good nutrition. I reached my goal weight and became a LT member. Ironically, I am overweight now (thanks to being too lazy to exercise) and decided to try for a baby anyway- not wait until I was skinny again. Thank goodness...

You CAN do WW *if* your ob/gyn writes you a letter that says you can. However, I can't imagine why you'd want to. In 30 weeks, I've only gained 25 pounds. Just be sensible with what you eat, and take care of your body.

The reason I'm saying about your dr- the points requirements are VERY DIFFERENT for nursing/preg moms. And you simply can not put your baby or your own health at risk. Your body is going to change, you're going to gain weight. Then you're going to loose a lot of it. Save the WW until then. Talk to your WW center and see if they will carry over your registration until that point.

DO NOT PUT YOUR HEALTH IN JEOPARDY BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID TO GAIN WEIGHT. YOU ARE GOING TO GAIN WEIGHT. THAT'S PART OF BEING PREGNANT.

With that being said, don't be hard on yourself- the program really, really works. But wait until it's the right time. You really do have to be able to sustain your health and your baby too. I was surprised at how different my eating habits became after I got pregnant. Take care of yourself.

Edited to add: My goal weight is 155. I'm at 228 right now. My doctor is not concerned, the glucola tests came back great, my blood pressure is good, and although it's hard to see the number so high, I'm *NOT* worrying. When I deliver Lilah, I'll get back to work.

If you want to chat, PM.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#7 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 PM

I am a huge fan of WW and am also a Lifetime Member, however, I quit following the plan when I got pregnant. Of course, I try to follow the healthy eating guidelines, but I don't count points anymore and I haven't been journaling (although I see no reason not to write down what you eat, because I think it really helps you stay aware of your nutrition from day to day).

I had planned to follow the guidelines a little better, but when the all day nausea and overall "plague" started, I was hard pressed to eat many vegetables or whole grains for quite some time (I'm just now getting back to them), but I had to eat eggs, cheese, and peanut butter to keep from getting really sick. I also had to eat like every 90 minutes to keep it under control. This change was really hard for me to accept, but I realized that I really had to do what is right for my body right now...which is to eat whatever I can that will stay down and help me feel better. No time to be counting points, but certainly still a good time to try to make healthy choices (like PP said about avoiding sugars and refined grains, etc).

I will definitely go back to WW when this little one is born!

Brin, wife to my best friend , mother of three . and now homeschooling!!!
#8 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 11:47 PM

My OB always recommends the GD diet. When I last did it, I lost 14 pounds in the first month. I warned my OB that it could happen again, but he said as long as I'm getting all my calories and carbs in and baby is healthy, the weight loss would be okay.

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#9 of 14 Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 AM

I'm doing Weight Watchers still. But, instead of counting points I'm following the core plan and eating as much as I want.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#10 of 14 Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 AM

I have heard that many women will consult with their care provider. If they're overweight the doctor will give them an amount over the normal points range (usually 500 cals) to add on, and let them continue. Although I agree, if you're only 25 lbs overweight, it's probably just best to pick up the program after the baby.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#11 of 14 Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 AM

I think you could try the core plan, which I think is now called filling foods. Basically you eat until satisfied (not full) from a list of healthy foods- any vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. You can also have eggs, fish, whole wheat pasta, whole grains, fat free yogurt, milk and cheese, etc. There's no measuring or counting points, but the idea is that you are in tune with your hunger signals and stop before you eat too much. I personally don't see anything wrong with using the plan as a guide to keep from gaining too much while pregnant- it's basically just eating sensibly and healthy. I found it hard to eat well because I felt so nauseous all the time, and I was at the beach all summer around pizza and ice cream. I gained 90 lbs with ds1 and 60 with ds2 and lost all the weight both times following this plan, so don't despair if you gain a lot again.
#12 of 14 Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses so far - but what is the GD diet?

Mama to my monkey since March 2008, wife to my husband since February 2004. After three early losses, we were successful with IVF!  joy.gif
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif  

#13 of 14 Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

I would never, ever, EVER recommend dieting in any form (including WW) during pregnancy. Eat to hunger and eat healthy foods, that's all you really need to do to keep your weight gain in check. I'm just barely in the "obese" category for this pregnancy and I was at a similar weight for my first pregnancy...I only gained 20 lbs the first time, so far at 20 weeks I have gained only 10-13 lbs. And I didn't even have a perfect diet (though it was good overall). I also lost all the pregnancy weight and then some within 6 months.
#14 of 14 Old 04-05-2009, 12:49 PM

All versions of WW are weight LOSS plans- you should not follow them while pregnant.

That said remembering some of the points values of foods, and guidelines for healthy eating, and winning outcome strategies may help you keep on track eating a healthier diet. Don't follow the plan, but remember the good habits you've learned...

I would not follow the CORE plan while pregnant- (again- it is still meant to cause weight loss, i.e. a deficit of calories) however, I would (and currently am) trying to remember to eat core type foods as often as possible when given a choice. They are simply healthful, filling, good foods for any person to eat. If you eat more of these foods you will probably find that your weight stays under better control naturally, and you get more of the nutrients you and baby need.

(I'm also a lifetime member.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page