Blue veins on breasts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-02-2004, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never had blue veins on my breasts before but on Monday they showed up and have gotten more since then. They are very visible and I've never had them before (this is verified by DH). I can't get to the doctor until Monday because they are closed, I know I need to go. But I am just wondering what else besides pregnancy could cause this? I can't think of anything. I am still nursing but not engorged in any way, I can't see how this is related to nursing at all as I have been nursing for 14 months and have never had this. I hope you can tell me something that could cause this as I know I am not pregnant but don't understand why I am getting pregnancy signs. Thanks!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 6 Old 01-02-2004, 12:47 PM

Your body changes a lot during pregnancy and while you are nursing. Your body can look a lot different right before you get your first PPAF. This last time, I could feel mine coming for almost two months. I was taking a pregnancy test every week because I felt so pregnant. I knew I wasn't, but my body sure fooled me. I felt bloated, irritable, a little queasy, tired, and crampy. My boobs got bigger.

Is it possible that you are seeing so many changes, in part, because you are looking so hard? Many women notice prominent veins on their breasts right before they get their period. The premenstrual period seems to be longer for women who are nursing. This could just be a normal reaction to your body gearing up to ovulate and/or menstruate again.

Regardless, I really think you should see a health care provider to put your mind at ease about all of this. Maybe after speaking to someone on Monday you will feel more relaxed.
#3 of 6 Old 01-02-2004, 12:56 PM

i had them with my last pregnancy, right from the start, although i only got one cupsize bigger.
your breast will have more blood circeling in them as they have to get ready for lactating. so it's absolutely normal, nothing to worry about. i even had those veins all around my shoulders...
#4 of 6 Old 01-02-2004, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

So if this is my period trying to come how long should it take? If I am having signs of it coming does that mean it will be here soon or could it still be months and months? I would like to ttc this summer.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#5 of 6 Old 01-02-2004, 01:00 PM

I agree with Mothra. I also had signs that I was preg. but it was only pms before my first ppaf (18 mos. pp, my son was still nursing). Pms symptoms for me have continued to be much more distinctive after having a baby and nursing than before I was ever pregnant. I am currently 7 wks. preg and it took me until 5 wks. to realize I might be preg. as I thought I was just having another intense cycle. Do go see your doctor on Monday just to get checked but I would not worry about it too much over the weekend.--I just read your last post--I thought I was getting my period for months before it actually happened. Bloating, breast tenderness, backache, cramping, etc. started on and off in Jan. and I did not get my first ppaf until May! I know lots of nursing moms who go through the same thing. Have you posted in extended bf or ttc? You would probably get some very wise responses over there.
#6 of 6 Old 01-02-2004, 08:40 PM

I had three or four "false starts" before I actually got my ppaf the last time. With my first, I got it about six weeks after baby was born, and I was nursing. This last time I didn't get it until baby was almost ten months old, and it never got "regular" again before I got pregnant. I would feel it coming, be sure I would start any day, have pms for about two weeks, and then go back to normal.

It is so different from woman to woman. I agree you should try posting on the breastfeeding boards. Maybe just reading other women's experiences can help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page