Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
#3 of 572 Old 04-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Hey everyone! Thanks for starting this thread...

I've had a crazy week and work and honestly have felt really overwhelmed. I am really excited for the end of the semester to come. That said I am teaching an online summer class, and hopefully I'll finish up before the babe comes

Anyone other working mamas ready to stop!? I'm very fortunate to have maternity leave... but, boy, am I ready for it to start soon!

I'm almost 26 weeks and still vomiting at least every other day. And that's with zofran, too. Anyone else still suffering?

Because of that I eat what I can. I can though stomach lots of green leafy veggies and I have major cravings for melon and berries... aha, also I have some craving for chocolate. I ate a tiny bit of non-vegan chocolate today. Eek.

When is everyone due? I know that a few of us here are in the July expecting club. I'm due the 16th.

Zubee

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#4 of 572 Old 04-05-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
When is everyone due? I know that a few of us here are in the July expecting club. I'm due the 16th.
Officially my EDD is June 30th, and I think I'll be having a July baby

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#5 of 572 Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 PM

yay! a thread for pregnant vegans!
:

hi!

#6 of 572 Old 04-05-2009, 10:45 PM

Hey pregnant vegans!!! I'm 18 weeks, due beginning of September. Just now getting into the enjoying of food again Made some really yummy mujadarrah tonight. Yum, yum!

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#7 of 572 Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 PM

homestyle, have you seen this?

#8 of 572 Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 PM

thanks!

hi!

#9 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlittle View Post
Hey pregnant vegans!!! I'm 18 weeks, due beginning of September. Just now getting into the enjoying of food again Made some really yummy mujadarrah tonight. Yum, yum!
Yum!!! The first tri is the worst when you can't enjoy your food!

#10 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM

LizzyQ Thanks so much for starting the new thread!
#11 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM

Hooray for Spring time! (Now if only I could get it to come here!) :

I just entered my 2nd tri! : but still feeling icky to the max. Oh well... it will end when it ends :0)

My appetite has increased, but my nausea has not subsided, so, I'm still limited on what foods I can handle eating. BORING!
I have been making lots of muffins of all flavors... it's something that doesn't stink up the house with overpowering odors and they are easy to munch on throughout the day (And night!). SO LOOKING forward to eating normal food again. I miss salads and kale, etc, which I haven't been able to handle since around 5 weeks. It's sad. I have started to add Chlorella to my juice. Supposed to be 65% assimilable protein, B vits, plus the 'green' which is what I'm missing (Full of good stuff for the bod and the babe)...

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#12 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

ooooh....what is mujadarrah? It sounds indian and yummy!
#13 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
It's middle eastern.. lentils, caramelized onions and spices.

#14 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
It's middle eastern.. lentils, caramelized onions and spices.
:

I have some lentils I need to use up...
#15 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Yum, I make curried lentils with carmelized onions all the time. What are the spices you use??

I gained 2 lbs in the last 4 days. I guess I can't have a falafel sandwhich every day for lunch, LOL!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#16 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Yum, I make curried lentils with carmelized onions all the time. What are the spices you use??
i think just cumin.. here is a recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...DARRAH-1209702

#17 of 572 Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I just made the really simple kind...lentils, white rice, onion (pretty much pan fried in olive oil) and salt and lots of pepper. i bet cumin would be good in it, too!

#18 of 572 Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM

ooooooooooooh catemom! How you doing?
Where are you planning to birth? Are you ready?

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#19 of 572 Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
i think just cumin.. here is a recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...DARRAH-1209702
My husband is Lebanese, and Lebanon is the homeland of Mujadarrah. Anyway, there are so many regional variations in how to make Mujadarrah even within the tiny country of Lebanon. Some people use cumin and allspice, in various proportions, some just use cumin. Some people use more lentils or more rice. Some people like it drier than others. Some people put fried onions on top, others don't.

Traditionally, mujadarrah is served with a simple cabbage salad consisting of chopped cabbage dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt.

I think it's a dish popular with Lebanese Christians during Lent. But everyone loves mujadarrah.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#20 of 572 Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM

Yum, that recipe is almost identical to mine except I use curry powder instead of cumin and I slice the onions into rings before I carmelize them. Also, I use red lentils. And I chop up some fresh cilantro for garnish and serve with brown basmati rice and mango chutney.

In fact, I was craving it so much after that post that is what I made for dinner last night.

And now I want more.

#21 of 572 Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm finally feeling more normal, and super busy trying to catch up!

This weekend we are doing lots of easter celebrations (non-religious).. there is going to be a vegan kids [no] easter egg hunt and potluck on Sat, then Sun we are doing a veggie BBQ and I'm going to make cupcakes and decorate them with organic jelly beans

What are your plans?

#22 of 572 Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 PM

we are spending time with husband's family and I'm making the carrot cake from Vegan with a Vengeance

I'm definitely one of those vegans who has NOO problem keeping weight on/putting on weight while pregnant. I'm embarrassed to say I've already gained 13 pounds and I'm only 16 weeks pregnant! Also I was already UP 20 befooore I got pregnant this time (I didn't lose the 20 pounds from the twins' birth), soooooo I'm trying to calm down with my cravings and try and eat more balanced and not snack all day

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#23 of 572 Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM

Hi All!

Well, I found out yesterday that the baby is punching my bladder with his little hand (I didn't know what he was using to cause near enuresis, but now I know). I think I'm going to have to stop looking at the calendar, because I'm getting really anxious about going post-dates this time. I know it won't be like the last time since I know more and have far better prenatal care (with homebirth mws) this time, but I'm nervous just the same.

Sky My DH makes excellent mujadurrah--he even made kind of a mix one time and we made it while we were camping.

Veganmama You're making me crave Indian food--I may need to hit the local lunch buffet soon!

The only thing I have planned for this weekend is to spend time with my family (MIL's coming in tonight), and take DS to the easter egg hunt at our neighborhood park.

Have a great Thursday, ladies!
#24 of 572 Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Hey mamas!

Excited to join back in here after an extended hiatus to deal with midwife issues. Boy was that a chore! But we've found someone new that we love and our homebirth plan is set. :

I'm 23 weeks and feeling pretty great - thankfully! I've finally gotten myself back into a gym/yoga routine and it feels really good. I haven't been too creative in the kitchen, but am managing to get in all the essential nutrients.

This weekend we have a lot of religious obligations - most of which I'm happy about. Sunday we'll be at my parent's house where we'll be bringing our own food as they are serving lamb. There's a little authentic Italian grocery near us that surprisingly sells fresh, homemade vegan ravioli in three different varieties. I think I'm going to make those with some marinara for DH and I. We'll probably just stop by Whole Foods to pick up some kind of dessert. I had bought a box of vegan chocolates from Pangea to bring to my mom for Easter Sunday... but I ate them all already... whoops! :

LizzyQ: I'd love to hear more about your "vegan kids no Easter egg hunt". DH and I have been wondering what we're gonna do for our little one when she's old enough to be interested in Easter eggs, bunny etc...

Have a great day everyone!!

#25 of 572 Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 PM

heya,
i'm excited that my appetites starting to go back to normal-I'm around 15+weeks. And sadly, I had a bad run in with a lentils and rice dish I made during the first trimester-no idea why it grossed me out the way it did-but now I can no longer eat lentils or rice or use the rice cooker I used when i made it. So bazaar and sad as I had always used those as staples. I might be slowly coming around the corner as I was craving ethiopian food the other day and as long as I didn't think of it as lentils and it didn't have the shape of them, it went down without a hitch. It's really hard to tell my mind 'don't think the word lentils!'
#26 of 572 Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma107 View Post

LizzyQ: I'd love to hear more about your "vegan kids no Easter egg hunt". DH and I have been wondering what we're gonna do for our little one when she's old enough to be interested in Easter eggs, bunny etc...

Have a great day everyone!!

i will.. it's on Sat, and it's suppose to rain, so hopefully it will be OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megame View Post
heya,
i'm excited that my appetites starting to go back to normal-I'm around 15+weeks. And sadly, I had a bad run in with a lentils and rice dish I made during the first trimester-no idea why it grossed me out the way it did-but now I can no longer eat lentils or rice or use the rice cooker I used when i made it. So bazaar and sad as I had always used those as staples. I might be slowly coming around the corner as I was craving ethiopian food the other day and as long as I didn't think of it as lentils and it didn't have the shape of them, it went down without a hitch. It's really hard to tell my mind 'don't think the word lentils!'
I was like that with my last pregnancy with tomatoes I totally understand.

#27 of 572 Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Hey ladies, we have to go to MILs for the whole day on Easter Sunday. She asked what she should make for me and DH said "don't worry about her, she'll eat the vegetables and bring her own protein".

I know I am a very bitchy, hormonal PG lady this week but this really bugged me.

I felt it would have been better to discuss this with me before calling her o I could offer to make something, in addition to what she is making, that everyone could share.

Instead I am regulated to bringing my own "veganfreak" food.

Let me point out that I am very mindful of HER and her family's "dietary restrictions". Apparently she is "allergic" to anything with any kind of seasoning besides salt, to wholewheat bread or pasta. They don't eat rice or any kind of beans or tofu.

I wouldn't dream of inviting them for dinner and then serving them a maincourse they couldn't eat unless I was provinding an alternative.

FIL is suspected to have recently had a mild heart attack by his doctor due to some arrythmia, his cholestral and blood pressure levels.

And this is what I am reallt dreading that will come up this weekend:

MIL wants us to come down to visit them in Florida for a week this coming winter and stay with them. I am not keen on this idea. Her kitchen. Again, I will regulated to freakdom. And my kids will end up eating meat and dairy all week because she is hugely offended when they don't eat her food. Apparently, it is OK that I don't eat her food I guess since I am not actually related to her.

Plus it is not near the beach. I grew up near the ocean (am landlocked now) and when I go on vacation I want to be right near the beach. I don't want to be in some seniors enclave right in the middle of Florida.

Let me point out that MIL would NEVER stay at anyone else's house on vacation. She likes to be queen of the roost. However, I am apparently unreasonable that I don't want to stay with them. DH wants to because she "helps" with the kids. Um no. She gets DH to do various chores for her and partially takes over his share of looking after the kids. It is no help to me whatsoever.

DH would never spend a week with my parents.

OK, very bitchy hormonal vent over now.

#28 of 572 Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 AM

Veganmama I can relate. My sister visited for a couple of wks, and now my MIL is visiting, and I find it fascinating how different my DH acts toward me now that his family is here. : Maybe it's hormonal, but I feel like a servant in my own home sometimes. Anyway, sorry that your DH is being so insensitive and I hope you muddle through Easter.

Speaking of hormones, I was so ticked off last night I had dreams of strangling people who made me mad all night. Hopefully I won't lose control and get myself arrested.

Have a Happy Easter ladies!
#29 of 572 Old 04-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Oh the preggo dreams are so vivid aren't they???

Last week I had 2 really horrible ones. One where DD drowned in a pool and another where I had a vicous fight with DH!

It's partly my fault that DH doesn't know how to stick up for me. I am very bad at asking for help. Plus on the surface I look very put together and tough.
I did lunges for 5 hours during DDs birth since she wasn't positioned very well. I run 3 miles three times a week during PG.
The day after DD was born, DH's cousin and his wife (DD'd godmama) were over and DH said "can you go get Brad a beer?" to me.
I don't let him live that one down. Whever he asks me something I think is unreasonable I say "sure, do you want me to get Brad a beer at the same time?".
He laughs, he now realizes the error of his ways on that one.

#30 of 572 Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Hiya!

Just joining you all... due late Nov/ early Dec with baby # 3. Even though I have been vegan for a few years (veg*n for... 10, I guess?), this is my first totally vegan pregnancy. Whee!

I am a mama to two very healthy vegan boys, and partner to a vegan husband.

Lovely to meet you all!

Busy mama to my three little lads!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page