Should I buy a bathing suit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I figure we'll open the pool around the end of May, but I don't know if I should buy a new suit. My one from last year doesn't fit around my waist anymore. And I am not going skinny dipping during the day lol. I was all ready to order one and then dh was saying how it's just a waste of money to wear it for a short time. I'm due 7/19.

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Do you have a maternity consignment store in your area? We have one and the few things that I've bought new I'll take there after the baby comes. If I were you, I'd buy one. I cannot imagine having a pool and being unable to swim in the hottest part of the day. Luckily for me my regular suit still fits. It's really strechy.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#3 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post
Do you have a maternity consignment store in your area?
No, we live in the middle of nowhere Great idea though!

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#4 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 01:14 PM

I would. who knows how long it will take to go back to your pre-pregnancy size.

+ + =
#5 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Oh, I LOVE swimming while pregnant. It helps reduce swelling, good exercise, takes the load off joints, keep the body cool.

You will not wear it as many times, probably, but you can get something reasonably priced just get new bottoms or a larger size (longer size if one piece) for the extra room. So NOT a waste of $. Lands End has longer sizes and has some suits that are less expensive. www.Landsend.com
#6 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 01:27 PM

I went to Ross (or you could go to a similar big box store like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart even, etc.) and I got a plus size bathing suit that seemed to have enough area around the stomach. I also have enormous tatas right now so I needed some coverage! I then altered it myself. I took the straps off and made it into a halter top and made a few tucks/darts in certain key areas. I'm due in June, so I just decided to do that for $16 rather than buy something off the internet.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#7 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 PM

I bought one because I swim a few times a week at the gym, so I knew I would get a lot of use out of it. I could only find one that fit at a maternity store, so I got a style that I think I can wear even after the baby comes. It's a one piece and clingy around the middle with a front panel that actually comes down over my belly. I also saw some that were a lot cheaper at Wal-Mart, but they didn't seem to fit me quite right. If you are only going to be wearing it at home and think you won't wear it after your baby comes, you might want to look into a cheap suit at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or Target or someplace like that.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#8 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
what about a bikini? then you don't have to worry about your belly size and you could probably wear it after. i know some people don't want to show the belly but since it's your own pool, who'd be there to see? or what about just wearing a tee shirt and boy shorts?

i didn't buy a swimsuit... i just have been wearing a bikini that was a little biggish on me before i got pregnant. now it's a little smallish. but it gets the job done (i'm due mid-June). hopefully it will make it the next two months because i loooove swimming at the Y.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#9 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Old Navy has some reasonably priced maternity suits. Just a thought.

Happy mama to DD reading.gif  DS  drum.gif and DD coolshine.gif and married to an awesome DH jammin.gif.  homeschool.gif
#10 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Well technically you'll only wear any maternity bathing suit for a few months, it's only warm for so long, you know? Even if you're pregnant all summer (like I was with #1, she was due in November and I was 20 weeks in July), you won't use it THAT much. But the other option is never to swim when you're pregnant, and I think that's far worse! Buy a bathing suit. It's worth it. Target has some cheaper ones.

Actually, when you think about it, the same could be said for maternity clothes. They don't last long so why bother? But uh, if you get huge like I do, your regular clothes WILL NOT work and you have to wear something!
#11 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 02:10 PM

It was totally worth it. Swimming was an amazing relief for me.

Check ebay?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#12 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 02:43 PM

We are going to the Ozarks for a few days, and I plan to be at the pool all the time as soon as it opens next month. I ended up ordering this one from Land's End. I normally would wear maybe a 14 D from them, but myself and my belly fit just great in the 16 because there is so much ruching and it is so stretchy. I am fairly certain I will be able to wear it post partum too. Maybe you could find something like that?

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#13 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm convinced, gonna look around right now!!!

#14 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 02:44 PM

I vote for buy a tankini - can be used whilst pg and not.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#15 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM

I LOVED my maternity bathing suit. I got one on sale at Motherhood and wore it a lot. It was SO comfy and I actually felt cute in it. Loved it. It was a fake tankini style - looked like a tankini, but was actually connected. I liked that the top wouldn't come up in the water and show my belly

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#16 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 03:41 PM

I've been wearing my bikini top and skirted regular bottom the whole time, plus a tank top over it for coverage unless I'm in the water. I don't quite match but at this point (due in 7 weeks or so) I don't want to spend the money.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#17 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 04:23 PM

I got one with DS, and saved it for another PG, but I've lost it. So, I just bought a reg. bikini, the bottoms are tied so they can be any size, and I got it in Med, instead of small like I normally am. Oh, and it was only $4 each piece ($8!!) on sale at Target!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#18 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM

I've been worrying about this, because I'm plus-size AND pregnant! That combo is deadly when looking for a swimsuit. But, this thread inspired me to order one of the LE tops with the adjustable shirring on the sides, and a cover-up skirt that hopefully can be worn in the pool with a regular swimsuit bottom underneath. (I NEED a skirt -- no one wants to see my thighs, LOL!)

I've always stuck with LE suits when not pregnant, so hopefully it'll be OK sizing up one or two sizes. There are all kinds of friends and family 30% codes floating around right now, too!

Cristina
CPST and mom to Toby 6/06 and Caleb 8/09
#19 of 29 Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Target has nice cheap maternity suits. I loved swimming in my last pregnancy, it was the only way I made it though the summer! Totally worth the money IMO. Even if you are in the middle of nowhere you can always sell your maternity stuff on Ebay!
#20 of 29 Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 AM

My last pregnancy I used an existing tankini that just got smaller and smaller. It worked fine. My belly just hung out and I didn't care- it sort of became a bikini. BUT, it was TOTALLY shot after that stress and was never any good to wear afterwards anyway.

This time someone gave me a motherhood "fake tankini" style suit and its great. You know, I would never have picked it out myself, but I am so glad I have it. I haven't used it THAT much but if I was preg in the middle of summer, for sure it would be seeing a lot of action. Also, though I've put on less than 20lbs but there is NO WAY my normal one-pieces would fit, since its all in the middle.

I love being in the water pregnant, especially at the very end. I think its very good for your body! I would say its def worth it to have something that works for you- mat or not- and honestly you can't really count on it lasting long after the preg anyway. However- due late July- you might use it for the rest of the summer anyway as you return to your normal size and all. And maybe you can pass it along to another pregnant person and just think of it as good karma or whatever, even if you don't recoup the expense of buying it.

dissertating mom to three

#21 of 29 Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I had a look at all of the stores that you lovely ladies suggested and I LOVE the Target maternity suits! I decided to wait 2 weeks, because I just bought new pj's and some other maternity clothes but I have my eye on a couple of those suits, and they really are cheap

#22 of 29 Old 04-23-2009, 05:45 PM

I wanted to report back on my LE suit -- it's perfect! It's this top, and it covers enough that I can wear my regular bottoms (I have several normal bottoms and swim skirts). I ordered it in a 20W, though I'm normally a 16 or 18 (not W). It's got LOTS of growing room! The cups crack me up, I don't even come close to filling them even halfway... but somehow it looks OK in the mirror. If I leave the sides down, it looks like a short swim dress on me. If I tie the sides up, I can show my regular/swim skirt bottoms. It looks great! I think this will last the rest of the pregnancy, no matter how big I get. I think the W sizes are more generous than the regular plus sizes (16 to 18), so I might've been able to get away with an 18W.

Cristina
#23 of 29 Old 04-23-2009, 06:11 PM

I got that one too, only in the flowerdy print!! Love it! I'd normally be a 14-16 D, but ordered an 18W, and while it fit, I couldn't have worn it after, so I returned it for a plain 18. LOVE being able to return at Sears and save shipping.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#24 of 29 Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
I vote for buy a tankini - can be used whilst pg and not.
: Perfect idea imo, I love my tankini!!

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#25 of 29 Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

I'd much rather get a maternity bathing suit than a plus size one. I'm already borderline plus (16ish) and most of the time, I can barely fit into bottoms esp when they go high up. I'm carrying SO low, if it's not meant for maternity, it won't fit. Also, the tops that are big enough for my belly in no way would fit my average sized chest and super narrow shoulders.
#26 of 29 Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Turner View Post
I had a look at all of the stores that you lovely ladies suggested and I LOVE the Target maternity suits! I decided to wait 2 weeks, because I just bought new pj's and some other maternity clothes but I have my eye on a couple of those suits, and they really are cheap
For those of us mamas having summer babies, it's totally worth it! You'll not only use it after pregnancy, but you'll cherish those last hot days of pregnancy when you can feel weightless in cool water!!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#27 of 29 Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I got that one too, only in the flowerdy print!! Love it! I'd normally be a 14-16 D, but ordered an 18W, and while it fit, I couldn't have worn it after, so I returned it for a plain 18. LOVE being able to return at Sears and save shipping.
Hmmm... I didn't even think about the possibility of wearing it afterward. I probably should've ordered it in two sizes, and kept the one that fit better! Though I know that plain 18 is sometimes just exactly right on me, so it wouldn't fit a pregnancy belly. But maybe 18W might've been better than the 20W, since it's roomier than plain 18. I wish they had W sizes at my local sears, so I can compare 18 to 18W!

Cristina
#28 of 29 Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 PM

I bought a regular swim dress, then split the seam from the panty to the waist part from hip to hip. I loved it, and it actually had more coverage than a lot of the maternity swimsuits i tried on. If I ever get a summer where I am not pregnant (this is my third in a row), I can just sew the seam back!

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#29 of 29 Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremco View Post
I bought a regular swim dress, then split the seam from the panty to the waist part from hip to hip. I loved it, and it actually had more coverage than a lot of the maternity swimsuits i tried on. If I ever get a summer where I am not pregnant (this is my third in a row), I can just sew the seam back!
I thought about doing that, because I'd read it somewhere (maybe here!) but then remembered that I need to pee every half hour, LOL! I knew I needed a 2-piece after realizing that.

Cristina

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page