Am I going to want food during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My reflux is really bad and has been getting worse for the past couple of months. I am 38+weeks and the baby has not dropped, perhaps if it drops I will get some relief, but who knows? Today I aspirated on some of my reflux during a nap. Sometimes just drinking water during the night makes the reflux worse. I am almost thinking that I don't want to take a chance at eating during labor. I threw up a bunch during my last labor, before I even reached transition.

Anyone go through something similar? did your reflux go away during labor as the baby moved down?

We create our own reality.
#2 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 AM

It depends. My first pregnancy, the reflux got worse and worse, culminating in THE worst during labour. It was horrible, all I wanted was some milk and there wasn't any available (this is germany - very few adults drink milk here ). I ate (toast i think) but then barfed and didn't attempt it again.

My 2nd pregnancy, I again had back reflux but somehow it disappeared right before labour. I ate and ate and ate during labour, only stopping a little bit before transition. I ate apples and shortbread cookies, maybe a yogurt (can't remember) and drank labourade. It was great for fuel - no reflux, heartburn or vomiting.

I don't think you can ever predict, so best to prepare just in case you want something and can't get it (i.e, my milk situation)
#3 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 AM

It is different for all of us. I had a hard and fast labor - and food was the last thing on my mind! I had eaten guacamole for lunch and kept burping it up - GROSS!

I was complaining that I had made the worst choice ever, but my mw said I would think that no matter what I had eaten (i.e. no matter what I would be burping up.)

I agree with pp to prepare with your favorites. PLUS - you will want your favorite comfort foods around for right after the birth anyways.
#4 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 AM

I had a very hard, fast 6.5 hour induced labor. I definitely didn't think about food, but I was INSANELY thirsty. I bought three flavors of all natural sports drink, and those were pretty fabulous.

As soon as DS was born, though, I felt like I could have eaten enough food for an army. I ended up having a piece of toast with peanut butter that my nurse brought in, and it was the best thing I had ever tasted in my life.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#5 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 08:06 AM

With DD1 I ate grapes and crackers in labor.

With DD2, her birth was so fast I barely had time to drink water . Right afterwards my mom made me french toast and it was so awesome

CPST & mom

#6 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I cannot wait until after the birth, I remember how starving I was, and my reflux was instantly gone. BUt even now all the sports drinks give me reflux, there is really nothing that doesn't give it to me. At night I have to not eat for 3 hrs before going to bed and I still get it, and I am taking zantac, which I hate to take. I am afraid in labor I am not even going to want water. Grrr.

#7 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 AM

I was starving with my first and wanted to eat so badly because I was in labor for so long, so when laying there with the epi. I was feeling how hungry my stomach was.. bu I got past that fast when it stopped working for me and pain took over. My second I didn't want to eat at all. Early labor at home I muched a little because I worried I'd be hungry when I got to the hospital but I wasn't. Dr's wouldn't let me have anything anyways as I ended with a section for the first and the second was a vbac that ended in a section.
#8 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 AM

I couldn't stomach anything in my first labour, but made sure to try and eat in my second labour, and my second labour went so much better even though I threw up. I would just choose foods you don't mind throwing up.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#9 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
I cannot wait until after the birth, I remember how starving I was, and my reflux was instantly gone. BUt even now all the sports drinks give me reflux, there is really nothing that doesn't give it to me. At night I have to not eat for 3 hrs before going to bed and I still get it, and I am taking zantac, which I hate to take. I am afraid in labor I am not even going to want water. Grrr.
Thats how i was too. Luckily, i AM in Germany and the doctors and midwifes are very big on giving you "healing earth" to drink. Its amazing and works when the medications don't. Its just a clay that absorbs all the acid.
#10 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 12:10 PM

In my one experience;
I had bad reflux the night that I went into labor, but didn't notice it during labor at all.
I also did not even think about food during labor except I'm grateful for my SIL who gave me bites and drinks occasionally. I think it's good to have on hand and have someone else be in charge of "thinking" of these things for you. Especially if you have a long hard labor.

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#11 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Horrible reflux during pregnancy last time but nothing during labor. I ate and drank until about 3 hours before DS was born (I laid down and woke up in transition). I can't imagine not eating and drinking during labor--labor is hard work. In fact I was crazy thirsty while pushing and was sipping water in between contractions.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#12 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 PM

I don't think I ate much during labor - my water broke, literally as I sat down to eat dinner... so I ate and then cleaned up and went to the hospital.. DS was born 13-14 odd hours later (8ish am the next day). Mostly I think I just drank water and such... and then ate waffles or pancakes or something right after he was born
#13 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM

I had pretty bad reflux as well and food was the last thing on my mind.
I had a nice dinner then went into labor early morning. The reflux seemed to get better after I vomited in mid labor but I still didn't want to eat cause all I could think of was throwing up.
I was however starving right after and the reflux was gone as was the fear of it coming back up.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#14 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 04:18 PM

my reflux never went away - and the baby had a head full of 1.5" long hair to prove it! I did want to eat durring early labor and I'm glad I did. I doubt I would have made it through the day as I get nauseated & dry heave when I go too long w/o food.

It's much easier to throw up something than to dry heave for hours w/no relief. I was not allowed food durring my first labor and the constant dry heaving was painful and weakened me more than if I'd been able to have something to throw up. Just make sure it's something easy to get down and come back up. Chicken and rice soup is good for that - it's also quickly digested.

If you do have reflux or vomiting issues durring labor there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON they can't give you something for it.

There's also no reason not to eat durring early labor. drs say not to b/c they are worried re: surgery & GA. modern intubation methods make the risk of aspiration very low nowadays.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#15 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM

I think it definitely depends on how your labor goes, but having some snacks nearby just in case would be a good idea. I labored all through the late night and middle of the night, she was born very early in the morning. I had eaten kind of a late dinner around 8, but by 1 or 2 in the morning I was starving! Between every contraction, my stomach was growling. I was so used to eating dinner and usually having a snack before bed at that point in my pregnancy, going that long without food was torture.

Once transition set in, food was the last thing on my mind. But then during pushing, my stomach was again growling between contractions. It was strange! I was in the hospital so they wouldn't give me anything but a popcicle. It helped a little, but didn't quite cut it. I wish I'd snuck some snacks with me in my bag.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#16 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM

I have hospital births and get stuck with an IV (but no meds). I've never felt hungry during labor. However, I tend to just not eat much in general while pregnant (hyperemesis). Now, AFTER I have the baby, I could eat enough food for five ppl... I seriously have knew what true hunger was until after I had both of my babies. It was like my body was yelling, "FEED ME" after starving for 9 mo.
#17 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I have hospital births and get stuck with an IV (but no meds). I've never felt hungry during labor. However, I tend to just not eat much in general while pregnant (hyperemesis). Now, AFTER I have the baby, I could eat enough food for five ppl... I seriously have knew what true hunger was until after I had both of my babies. It was like my body was yelling, "FEED ME" after starving for 9 mo.
LOL about 30 minutes after I had my last one I was asking for dinner.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#18 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatolevi View Post
LOL about 30 minutes after I had my last one I was asking for dinner.
I don't even think it took me that long to ask for food after DS!

I cannot wait to be starving and eat a big meal again, I loved the nursing days of pigging out!

#19 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM

The hospital I had DS at was fine with me eating during labour. I was hungry and thirsty! Ate mostly jello and crackers, but ended up vomiting during the transition phase. I stuck with fluids after that.

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

#20 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM

I had reflux my whole pregnancy. It was awful. I ate. I threw up, too, but I'm glad I ate, because I got the energy boosts I needed after having a 38 hour labor. I think it depends on how you feel, and definitely how long your labor is. Some women find that the idea of food is repulsive during labor, some can't get enough. I would have easily digestable, as well as easily regurgitated foods available if you need it.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#21 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM

I didn't eat during labor AT ALL.  I did drink a protein drink when I started feeling contractions which helped me have some energy during active labor. 

Life is either a great adventure, or nothing.  -Hellen Keller 

#22 of 22 Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 PM

I brought snacks/drinks, and didn't really eat  - and then after a 24 hour labor and pushing for 3 hrs my MW finally said to my DH and Doula - she's too weak, did you bring snacks or drinks?  

And I chugged a whole vitamin water and had a handful of nuts and pushed him out in 10 mins.  I would not have thought of food or asked for it, but I did need it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page