HIV testing GRR - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
dont see why i would complain about being tested well SHE has only been with 2 men blah blah good for her UNLESS i might have it? just because ive been with more then 2 people means i MIGHT have aids?
There were several of us, who didn't take that comment so well.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#62 of 65 Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmack45 View Post
Because accidents do happen... what if I come in contact with some of her fluids or in the unlikely event that our babies get switched, what if she breastfeeds my child... it may be just a paranoid response to you, but despite procautions, these things do happen. I would rather know that each mother had had the same testing as I did... I am not in any way saying I want to see her test results, I just take comfort in knowing that due to state laws, the mothers birthing around me have had the same tests I have.

As far as the doctors go, yes, I do think that they should have an HIV test on file for patients to see and it should have to be done annually. You really can't trust anyone's word as truth 100% of the time.

The OP's post made it sound like she was worried, if you know your sexual past and health, then what are you worried over? Kwim?

All of this is my opinion of course.
It makes no difference if they've been tested- as those results are private. The woman next to you may be + and you will never know it- even if she bleeds all over and you nurse her baby.

And those women have every right to decline the testing. The woman next to you may have declined it. You'll never know THAT either.

-Angela
#63 of 65 Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

thank you belltree!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#64 of 65 Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmack45 View Post
I really don't see why you would complain about it and I don't know why you would worry about the do I, don't I factor unless you MIGHT have it.
Again, there is a higher risk of a false positive during pregnancy and to me the risks from stress and other consequences of a false positive (unnecessary exposure to very toxic drugs) during pregnancy far outweigh the "benefits" of taking the test in first place. Also, I have better things to spend my $60ish dollars on than a test that I'm fairly certain is unnecessary.

If I lived a higher risk life style than that would be different, if there were some accident during my labor that put my HCP at risk of course I would consent to the test, etc. My having tested negative at 12 weeks (or whenever the routine scan is usually preformed) would not rule out the possibility of exposing my HCP during an accident while in the hospital 6 months later. You can test negative up to 6 months after exposure and you certainly could be exposed anytime after you took the test in the first place.
#65 of 65 Old 04-27-2009, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
dont see why i would complain about being tested well SHE has only been with 2 men blah blah good for her UNLESS i might have it? just because ive been with more then 2 people means i MIGHT have aids?
Well to be honest, anyone who has had sex with at least one person has a chance of contracting AIDS so the number of sexual partners one has is moot.

I can understand that prehnancy is an emotional time and can lead one to overread into what someone says - no one was calling someone who has had more than 2 sexual partners a slut.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page