HIV testing GRR - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WHY is it every time you have a child the state requires a hiv test i know why they do but i HATE the fact they dont ever call to tell you oh btw you dont have hiv HOW hard is that they only call if you do? im sure i dont have it but the stress of not knowing is driving me batty! how hard is it to call and say all your results where fine have a good day

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#2 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 PM

BIG HUGS!

They don't 'require' one here, but I chose to have one when I found out I was pregnant because I had never had one before. MAN, is it stressful! I think you can call them to double check your results if it's been more than two weeks. That's what I did.

Hang in there!

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#3 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 PM

I don't understand how you can be required to have an HIV test? What happens if you refuse? What if you opted not to have pre-natal care while you were pregnant, how would they get you to have the test then?

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#4 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 PM

Wow, I didn't know this was an actual state requirement. Here, you usually get one, but it is more for the safety of the healthcare providers than anything else. I donate blood regularly, and that is always tested for HIV so not getting the results doesn't bother me. I just treated this as the same thing. I know I don't have HIV, so the test is for the protection and benefit of others, not me, therefore I have no need of confirmation of the results.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#5 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Well, if you don't take the test your OB or midwife will just treat you as if you have HIV including all the consequences for the birth.

I know I don't have it. I had tests done everytime I changed partners, that's what I was told to do in highschool and it seemed reasonable.

But it is the same with all other kinds of STD testing - they never believe that you don't have it.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#6 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

im going to call again tomorrow and bug the crap out of them!

i love my life!!!
#7 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 PM

If they don't call you, I'd think it pretty fair that it came back negative. But if you call them, they'll let you know your results.
#8 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 PM

You can refuse any testing. I refused HIV testing because I already had tested when pg with DD, maybe it varies, but I don't think the state can force a pregnant woman to any testing. I just said I had the test it was negative signed a paper and that was that.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#9 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post
Well, if you don't take the test your OB or midwife will just treat you as if you have HIV including all the consequences for the birth.
Seriously? My midwife could care less if I had the test done. And the OB who orders my bloodwork basically asks me what tests I want. When we got to HIV I declined, she asked why, I mentioned that I'd been in a committed monogamous relationship for the past 15 years, I'd tested negative in college several times, and that there was a higher rate of false positives in pregnancy. She said okay and that was that.
#10 of 65 Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
I don't understand how you can be required to have an HIV test? What happens if you refuse? What if you opted not to have pre-natal care while you were pregnant, how would they get you to have the test then?
In my state if you refuse they will take your baby (if you birth in a hospital) and draw blood to test them for it. I am not sure what they do if you homebirth and refuse the test.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#11 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 AM

Is it any consolation that as an adoptive mom I was tested for HIV too. It just didn't seem that big of a deal to have it done now while pregnant. I've been in a committed relationship for many many years as well.
#12 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM76 View Post
In my state if you refuse they will take your baby (if you birth in a hospital) and draw blood to test them for it. I am not sure what they do if you homebirth and refuse the test.
Do you mind saying what state you are in? That's horrible! I refused to take the HIV test and told them the same as a pp, that I had been in a committed monogamous relationship for 9 years and there was no need and they were fine with it. i came to the hospital with my birth plan which included no meds of ANY kind (including the vit K eye drops) would be given and no testing would be done. Granted they were a bit ticked when they tried to prick my guy's heel, but they were ok with it.

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

#13 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean about that. I decline it and other than universal precautions (which I should hope all midwives and OBs routinely do) there has been nothing that they did to "treat" me as HIV+

What do you mean?

-Angela
#14 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
This can be declined unless they have a court order. Just because they tell you they are "going to" do something, doesn't mean you have to let them.

-Angela
#15 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I declined testing as well and my MW didn't care at all!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#16 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

im in texas
and my ob said i had to =-(

i love my life!!!
#17 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 PM

^ I think your OB is BSing you. I would research it, or flat out ask him/her if it is law or if you can sign a waiver. My midwife told us it was optional, and I am in an equally conservative state (TN).

-
#18 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
im in texas
and my ob said i had to =-(
He lied. Ever consider a midwife instead?

-Angela
#19 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
rrs

HIV testing during pregnancy in Texas is a routine with notification program, also known as opt out. This means that the patient is informed of the intervention and their right to refuse before the intervention is implemented. The provider is required to test the patient unless the patient refuses.

22 states/territories are opt out, 30 states/territories have voluntary programs, or opt in. In opt in situations, the test is not routinely offered; the patient must request it.

So, you do not HAVE to have the HIV test. You do HAVE to refuse the test if you do not want it. There is not a law that mandates HIV testing in pregnancy. However, your provider's practice may require the test. It is well within your provider's rights to refuse you service if you refuse the test.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#20 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Yeah of all the testing I got, HIV is the only one that I had to sign my waiver and say yes I know the risks, but am not taking the test. I tested 3 years ago and it was neg, so my Dr just said to sign the paper and that was the end of it. I live in WA.

You can deny any testing, none of it is required, they cannot force anyone to take any testing. I may try to not do the GD test, but then I have to monitor my blood sugar for a week. It may just be easier to take the darn test and be sick for 3 days again:.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#21 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

we cant afford a midwife

i love my life!!!
#22 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

whew just called all neg i hate waiting

i love my life!!!
#23 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 PM

I don't know where in TX you are, but there are midwives who accept insurance and even medicaid.

-Angela
#24 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceili View Post
Seriously? My midwife could care less if I had the test done. And the OB who orders my bloodwork basically asks me what tests I want. When we got to HIV I declined, she asked why, I mentioned that I'd been in a committed monogamous relationship for the past 15 years, I'd tested negative in college several times, and that there was a higher rate of false positives in pregnancy. She said okay and that was that.
For some reason most doctors never believe any of that, if it comes from me, maybe I am to young (30years old)? They insist, they can only treat me, if I have those tests done. And threaten, that they would assume, that I am HIV+, which would require a CSection.

I am not anymore with this office, but those doctors exists.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#25 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Ditto. I'm in NY. They absolutely will NOT let you hold your baby until they test him/her 1st. It's state law. We also cannot refuse Vit. K or eye goop without them calling Child Services. Its BS but I'd rather not deal with CPS and all it's ramifications for them to do a simple test when they're drawing blood anyway, yk?

I had a home birth (attempted) with #1 and I did the test b/c it was my 1st pregnancy. I'm pretty sure if your midwife allows you to skip other testing she won't do anything about the HIV.

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#26 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 02:45 PM

It is routine here to offer the test, but you can refuse certainly and it is no big deal. I had to sign a form saying I either accepted or declined it, just like every other test they wanted to run. I got tested all the time when I give blood (but I haven't for about a year in preparation for TTC and obviously not now since I am pregnant) so I knew I wasn't positive, but they really wanted to run the test, so I went ahead and consented since I don't care and knew it would be negative. I did decline the AFP and no one batted an eye at that.

And there is no reason for them not to let you know the results. If they aren't, just call and ask. I would consider finding a new doctor who understands that patients have a right to informed consent/refusal.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#27 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 03:24 PM
rrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphysaangel View Post
Ditto. I'm in NY. They absolutely will NOT let you hold your baby until they test him/her 1st. It's state law. We also cannot refuse Vit. K or eye goop without them calling Child Services. Its BS but I'd rather not deal with CPS and all it's ramifications for them to do a simple test when they're drawing blood anyway, yk?

I had a home birth (attempted) with #1 and I did the test b/c it was my 1st pregnancy. I'm pretty sure if your midwife allows you to skip other testing she won't do anything about the HIV.
Newborn testing is a separate issue. 10 states (including NY) mandate testing of the newborn. In these states, newborn testing is completely mandatory, meaning a government agency requires citizens to undergo testing, with sanctions imposed on those who do not comply.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#28 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
If they don't call you, I'd think it pretty fair that it came back negative. But if you call them, they'll let you know your results.
That's how it was in my case. I called the office to find out about something else and while I was on the phone the nurse went ahead and offered my info on the blood tests for the STDs that I had gotten a week earlier. They were negative so that's probably why I didn't get a call or a notice about it.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#29 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
states/territories are opt out, 30 states/territories have voluntary programs, or opt in. In opt in situations, the test is not routinely offered; the patient must request it.

So, you do not HAVE to have the HIV test. You do HAVE to refuse the test if you do not want it. There is not a law that mandates HIV testing in pregnancy. However, your provider's practice may require the test. It is well within your provider's rights to refuse you service if you refuse the test.
:

Also, the reason why HIV testing is encouraged during routine prenatal testing is not simply for the safety of the practitioners. The reason is that if a mother is positive she can be offered treatment during pregnancy and birth that drastically reduces the risk of passing the virus onto the baby.

My personal view, having been an HIV educator is that everyone who has been sexually active should consider getting tested at some point in their lives. There are many women who were in monogamous relationships and still ended up positive.

If you get tested for HIV please ask what their policy is when it comes to obtaining results. When I did HIV testing we always told the client to come back in person for the results because we were not allowed to give their results via mail or through the phone. This was to protect their privacy. Doctors' practices may differ and just not contact you unless the result is positive.

Also, please don't rely on blood donations to be a de facto HIV test. While they will try to contact someone who has tested positive, it isn't always guaranteed that they'll find that person.

ETA:

Quote:
For some reason most doctors never believe any of that, if it comes from me, maybe I am to young (30years old)? They insist, they can only treat me, if I have those tests done. And threaten, that they would assume, that I am HIV+, which would require a CSection.
Again, while having had one monogamous partner indicates a lower risk, it really doesn't say anything about a person's HIV status. The only way to know is to be tested. Also, HIV+ mothers are not all doomed to having required C-sections. Depending upon their viral load (amount of virus in 1cc of their blood) they may be able to have a vaginal birth safely.
#30 of 65 Old 04-24-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I am not anymore with this office, but those doctors exists.
That sucks. I doubt it's an age thing though. I was 29 when I had my son, that's practically old in terms of maternal age.

I believe that you that those doctors exist, it's one of the reasons I use a midwife and go to the OB that she recommends for backup.

Here is the Texas state code for anyone else in that position. It clearly states that you can opt out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page