Getting enough protein? x-post in twins - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting enough protein while pg with twins? Has anyone found a good bar, shake, or protein supplement. I just don't think I can eat enough food in one day to get in enough protein. I just read the new reccommendations are over 100 grams per day.
#2 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 PM

Holy cow that's a lot! I don't know what kind of diet you have, but if you eat meat it'll be a lot easier for you to get that much protein. Anywho, here are some ideas...

For breakfast, maybe have a couple pieces of toast & peanut butter with yogurt, fruit, & nuts and a smoothie with protein powder.

Or, try breakfast burritos: black beans, scrambled eggs, cheese, and some salsa or guacamole. 1 cup of cooked black beans has about 15 g of protein. Cheese is about 5-7 g per one-inch cube, eggs are I think 7 g/egg, and flour tortillas have 4 g each. So there's about 33+ g in one meal.

For snacks or lunch: Mozzarella sticks (7 g/stick), hard-boiled eggs, hummus, edamame (alone, or with some rice & veggies), egg-salad sandwich, whole-wheat bagel with cream cheese or almond butter, beef jerky, nuts, my midwife suggested cottage cheese with fresh fruit mixed in, which I think is gross but there's another option, kidney beans (I love them alone, but pasta salad is a good option if you get whole-grain noodles...just mix some noodles, kindey beans, olives, avocado, tomato), tuna spread on carrot or celery sticks, oatmeal with or without nut butter mixed in, quesadillas with pureed beans...

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 PM

Holy cow that's a lot! I don't know what kind of diet you have, but if you eat meat it'll be a lot easier for you to get that much protein. Anywho, here are some ideas...

For breakfast, maybe have a couple pieces of toast & peanut butter with yogurt, fruit, & nuts and a smoothie with protein powder.

Or, try breakfast burritos: black beans, scrambled eggs, cheese, and some salsa or guacamole. 1 cup of cooked black beans has about 15 g of protein. Cheese is about 5-7 g per one-inch cube, eggs are I think 7 g/egg, and flour tortillas have 4 g each. So there's about 33+ g in one meal.

For snacks or lunch: Mozzarella sticks (7 g/stick), hard-boiled eggs, hummus, edamame (alone, or with some rice & veggies), egg-salad sandwich, whole-wheat bagel with cream cheese or almond butter, beef jerky, nuts, my midwife suggested cottage cheese with fresh fruit mixed in, which I think is gross but there's another option, kidney beans (I love them alone, but pasta salad is a good option if you get whole-grain noodles...just mix some noodles, kindey beans, olives, avocado, tomato), tuna spread on carrot or celery sticks, quesadillas with pureed beans...

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#4 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 PM

It was really hard for me and most days I probably didn't make it. One trick I did was to drink Ensure or one of those other nutrition drinks. I had bad morning sickness and had trouble eating anything at the beginning. If I kept them chilled, I could drink it pretty fast and keep it down. As the morning sickness went away, I kept drinking them. Often in the middle of the night, when I woke up to pee. I would keep a thermal bag with ice in it next to the bed and put a couple of Ensure's in it each night. It has 9 or 10 grams of protein,
#5 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 PM

Ok I just went and checked the protein amounts on some of the food I have. Going off the suggestions I gave in my other post, here's the totals for protein:

Breakfast:
2 pieces of peanut butter toast: 4 g/slice of bread + 8 g/2 tbsp of pb = 12 g/slice = 24 g of protein
Yogurt: 11 g/1 cup of yogurt
Calcium enriched orange juice: 2 g/cup
(I mentioned having fruit in my other post but it doesn't add much protein so I'm not counting it. I think it's about 1 g of protein for an entire banana...so it's something but not much)
Total: 24 + 11 + 2 = About 37 g

Lunch:
Breakfast burritos:
Black beans = 15 g/cup
Tortilla = 4 g/tortilla (2) (because 1 cup of beans is a lot for just one burrito so let's say you make 2 smaller burritos) = 8 g/2 burritos
Egg = 7 g/egg (2) = 14 g
Cheese = 7 g/ounce (2) = 14 g
Plus salsa and avocado or whatever veggies you want; again, doesn't add a ton of protein so I won't count it.
Total: 15 + 8 + 14 + 14 = 51 g/2 burritos...wow!!! If that's too much burrito for one day, save the second one for the next day and you'll still be getting about 25 g of protein, and then maybe have some plain fruit or veggies dipped in hummus as a snack instead.

Dinner:
Brown rice = About 5 g/cup
Edamame = 8 g/half cup
Chicken = 35 g/4 oz
Plus whatever veggies you want
Total = 5 + 8 + 35 = 48 g!

Total for the day:
37 + 51 + 48 = 136 grams of protein! Holy cow! :

#6 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I know it is crazy. I have been very sick so I know I haven't been getting anywhere near that. I just found out about the twins and have started feeling better but my stomach already feels full so fast because I am already getting big....I can't fathom being able to get that much food down everyday. Those were great suggestions though!! I have a meal replacement called Ultrameal that my ND said I could use in pg and it has 15 grams per serving so if I make it with milk that wouldbe about 22grams....It is just insane!! I also looked up some values adn steak seems to have the most per ounce so I guess I will have to eat more meat than I am used to.
#7 of 7 Old 04-28-2009, 12:19 PM

Agh I've been trying since last night to reply but my internet at home is sooo slow!

That is tough! Maybe have an Ultrameal + milk 2 or 3 times a day and just eat tiny meals more often throughout the day. So in the morning maybe just have a half cup of yogurt with a few strawberries or just one slice of toast or 1 egg and a banana instead of all together in one sitting. It doesn't seem like much but it will add up quickly throughout the day. For snacks at work I usually have a granola bar (3 g) and a mozzarella stick (7 g). There's 10 g of protein in just a few bites.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page