Traveling and camping in the desert on week 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought this little excursion would be no problem, but the closer we get to it, the more stressed I become. Just as I hit the third trimester, DH and I are hitting the road for our last baby-free (relatively speaking) music festival in the high desert of California. I’m slightly worried about the drive through the desert, parts of which are unpopulated for long stretches (i.e. no hospital for an hour in any direction). I’m more worried about the heat at the festival with no air conditioning in sight. We might luck out and have temps in the 80s, but it has gotten up to 100 some years. I might have to be a party pooper and check into a motel 20 minutes away from the festival instead of camping, although I really hope we don’t have to do that. It would be such a pain to go back and forth (plus we can’t really afford it). I’ve seen pregnant women at this festival before, so I know it can be done.

Any suggestions for being pregnant and camping in the heat?

ETA- It might not be an hour in either direction. I'm trying not to worry to the point that I'm googling our route for hospitals and doctors, but that might make me feel better. There's a hospital close to the actual festival, so that is reassuring in case the heat does something bad to me...

Ack! I'm stressing too much!!!!

...but just seeing this in writing makes me feel better because I can see I'm overreacting.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#2 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 PM

IME camping in third trimester is too much for me, although I am considering again this time since last year I was same gestation and said no LOL. But we will be camping up in mountains of NM, where it is cooler. My non negotiables are a potty seat and air bed. If I would possibly get very hot that would do me in, but others mamas have different comfort levels. I wouldn't worry about the actual drive, just drink plenty of water and get out to walk frequently. Make sure you car is in top form.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#3 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 06:49 PM

There are pregnant women in every climate, so I don't think it's impossible. Plus, such a festival would have a doctor or medic team on site for emergencies, no?

When we went to Vegas a few weeks ago, my care provider stressed that I needed to drink lots and lots of water to stay hydrated when going from humid Texas to the dry desert. Your other issue would be sleeping comfortably, so I'd look at getting an air mattress and maybe a battery powered fan to blow right on you. Other than making sure you're dressing in cooler clothing and just staying hydrated, you really should be fine. Have fun!

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#4 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 PM

Make sure you bring something comfy to sit on!

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#5 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustmamie View Post
Make sure you bring something comfy to sit on!

Oh yeah! I better make sure my camping/festival chair still fits my widening hips/pelvis. I might need a "big man's" chair like DH has, lol.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#6 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 PM

I think you'll be fine. I'm going to see Coldplay at the Columbia Gorge in July and I'll be just about 6.5 months. My mom was really worried about me, but honestly I'll be with my family and I know there are medic teams there because it's a huge venue. It's also hot, dry desert area, but where I live in WA it is pretty much 100 in July, so I'd be pregnant and hot somewhere else too. I'm just bringing my snacks and stuff, I'm not sure about what they let you bring in, but I'll be bringing a lot.

I also am going camping a few weeks later but my sweet as pie MIL is letting us borrow her little motorhome, so we'll be really comfy.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#7 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 PM

I think as long as you stay hydrated you'll be OK
For comfort, also consider a nice misting bottle to keep your skin a bit moist and help cool off.
If you are worried about breaking down in the desert without anyone nearby, just make sure you have the car serviced before you go, and have a cooler of drinks, etc with you just in case.
Enjoy the trip and the festival!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#8 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 11:26 PM

Hydration, food and sunblock are your first priorities!!!! Getting plenty of rest is #2, as long as you listen to your body you will be fine.

Mind you I have been working at a festival (not musical), while it's not in the middle of the desert it did get up to 102 a few weeks back. I also have been camping there every weekend and my air mattress has treated me ok so far. I am 25 weeks now and I still have three more weekends to go and I think I will make it if I can just get over my stupid cold

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#9 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 09:39 AM

It's nice to hear from some other outdoor-loving mamas. I just hit my second trimester but we went camping and hiking last weekend in Pennsylvania...it got into the upper 80s, which is pretty warm for here. I'm not sure how I would handle desert heat during pregnancy, but I did used to live in Phoenix, and I always found that heat to be more tolerable than the more humid heat back east....as long as I could find shade.

So I would just add to wear a hat and carry an umbrella to make sure you are out of the sun. I'm not sure if this is grounded in science or not, but I really felt a lot more sensitive to the sun this weekend.

Have fun!
#10 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I went to Burning Man in the Nevada desert when I was 28 weeks pregnant. We camped for a week & temps did rise above 100, but I did just fine. I spent most of my time in the shade, carried an umbrella when I was in the sun, & I brought a plant mister so I could mist myself- that was awesome. The only thing I regretted was not packing comfier bedding! EVery other year I'd been fine on pretty minimal bedding on the tent floor, but that year my giant pregnant body was sooo uncomfortable! I needed more padding on the floor.

Anyway, like a PP mentioned, there are pregnant women in every climate on the planet. There must be some kind of emergency medical team at this event? They'd be able to perform some of the basics you'd need in an emergency, like an IV if you were dehydrated & contracting. But really, I'm sure you'll be just fine!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page