Anyone else planning a big sibling party? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our DD has been an only child for 5 years and sharing us with the baby is going to be a big transition for her. I am thinking we will throw her a Big Sister Party right before the baby comes in celebration of her new role.

Has anyone done this or planning to?

I have started a wish list and I'd love some great ideas. Or just ideas in general for the party.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 01:15 PM

We're doing a big brother day, but waiting until after the baby is born. We are celebrating our toddler becoming a big brother, and kind of making a big deal about how exciting and cool it is to be a big brother. We are getting a gift for him from the baby & mommy and daddy, and letting him pick out a cake (he already has his eye on a Thomas cake at the bakery, it's really small and pretty cool). I have a feeling that the transition is going to be a bit tough for him, so I want to make him feel special and not left out of the process. A friend of mine did this with her oldest recently and said that she noticed a difference right away in the way that he wanted to help out with his little brother after that, etc.
#3 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 01:24 PM

My guy's going to be 8 by the time his sibling arrives. I hadn't planned a big brother party (sounds like the government is listening ) but I will have to schedule his birthday party early. He usually has it the first weekend in January and that's not going to fly. We'll probably aim for the first weekend in December instead and I can try to incorporate some sort of big brother element into it.
#4 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petit_bleuet View Post
I hadn't planned a big brother party (sounds like the government is listening ) but I will have to schedule his birthday party early.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#5 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePisces View Post
We're doing a big brother day, but waiting until after the baby is born. We are celebrating our toddler becoming a big brother, and kind of making a big deal about how exciting and cool it is to be a big brother. We are getting a gift for him from the baby & mommy and daddy, and letting him pick out a cake (he already has his eye on a Thomas cake at the bakery, it's really small and pretty cool). I have a feeling that the transition is going to be a bit tough for him, so I want to make him feel special and not left out of the process. A friend of mine did this with her oldest recently and said that she noticed a difference right away in the way that he wanted to help out with his little brother after that, etc.
I love this idea! I hope you don't mind if I steal it for my dd. I too am worried about the transition.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#6 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM

what a cool idea!!! we plan on doing something for our son too, just not sure what.

D, wife to an awesome man, mommy to 2 awesome boys!!
#7 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 04:19 PM

great idea! i will sooo be doing this for my boys! whoohoo another party and family get-together right before christmas!

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#8 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 04:48 PM

What a great idea! I think I will do this for my dd.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#9 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM

This is a wonderful idea! I think my DD is going to find it a challenge to no longer be the only one.
I think an After Baby party is great. Everyone usually makes a big fuss over the little one so it would be great for her to have some people invited specifically to tell her she's a great big sister!
Thanks,
Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 PM

That's a cute idea. I was just going to send my two older boys off with my DH for a day trip or something, "guys day." They will think that is really cool.
#11 of 12 Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 PM

great idea!!
I too may steal it, although DD may really make out as her B-day is 1 month after this baby is due to arrive

wife & holistic mama of 1 girl, 1 boy and 1 :
#12 of 12 Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 PM

I *love* the idea of a big brother celebration/party!

I've been wondering what to do for him to help him transition, and the only thing I can think of so far is to *finally* give him some of the Star Wars toys (the toddler gallactic heroes) my dh bought for him before I was even pregnant. Well, he supposedly bought them for our future children, but so far he's only opened 4 of the packages (out of 50+, I KNOW, excessive, right???) for our ds to play with. But there's a big package with the millenim falcon AND an R2D2 (one of ds's favorites), so I think that would be a big hit for him.

I've been reading books to him about "new babies". So far, I like the Dr. Sears one the best. The Berenstein Bears, not so much.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page