Tired after eating, all of a sudden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this something that I should be concerned about? Or is this just another one of those wonderful pg inconveniences
I'm 32w pg. The last two days after I eat breakfast (cereal or instant oatmeal- so plenty of sugar lol), I have gotten soooo tired I've had to have a nap.

I just had my mw appt a few days ago, before this started. I did tell her that I seem to really need to eat a lot of protein in order to not feel shaky. I declined the GD test, with my mw's blessings, because I have no risk factors and am measuring *exactly* right for my dates.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just under 37 weeks, and EVERYTHING makes me tired. lol

If you mentioned it to her, and she didn't seem concerned, I'd say it's just one of those things. Maybe try eating something different, some fruit or something to see if it's just a reaction to the food.

Pregnancy is fun, huh? I'm sleepy, puky, and I have pregnancy carpal tunnel in both hands...And for some reason my middle fingers on both hands are numb. I asked my dr about everything last week, and she said, "Normal! Just a few more weeks to go!"
#3 of 10 Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
Is this something that I should be concerned about? Or is this just another one of those wonderful pg inconveniences
I'm 32w pg. The last two days after I eat breakfast (cereal or instant oatmeal- so plenty of sugar lol), I have gotten soooo tired I've had to have a nap.

I just had my mw appt a few days ago, before this started. I did tell her that I seem to really need to eat a lot of protein in order to not feel shaky. I declined the GD test, with my mw's blessings, because I have no risk factors and am measuring *exactly* right for my dates.
Hmm maybe try a breakfast of say eggs & bacon or sausage, hold the toast/bagel/english muffin or any other carb. If you don't feel so tired then it sounds like sugar..if you still do then yeah it's probably just preggo sleeptasticness.

30-32 weeks along is when sugar problems peak for a lot of people with gd. I found this out after my diet controlled gd took a nose dive a few days ago.

Eta: I had no risk factors either fwiw. They just caught it on a screening.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#4 of 10 Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 AM

I had this for a good couple of months after eating anything. I'd be feeling fine, then have something to eat and BAM - I had to sleep instantly. My DH and I would plan not to do anything after meals because we knew how tired I'd be. Made it very hard to go to a friend's for dinner!

I'm 37w now and it seems to have settled down a bit.

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#5 of 10 Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM

Honestly, it sounds like a diabetic reaction to the sugar.
Do you get that immediate fatigue reaction after lunch or dinner?

Morning is when blood sugar flies up the highest in GD. A lot of women cannot even have cereal, bread or fruit till afternoon because of how the blood sugar spikes in the morning.
I would experiment with eating an extremely low carb breakfast with no fruit and see what happens. Like Karlac suggested.

If you feel ok after that, then you should probably start to eat a GD diet at least even if you don't want to go get tested and get labeled GD.

take care,
Deb

ETA FWIW, I had zero risk factors and everything looked exactly right until I had the screening last pg. Then, it was completely controlled by diet and M didn't have any blood sugar issues when she was born. That was my main goal!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#6 of 10 Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know. I'll try out having a low carb breakfast and see what happens. I guess if I don't get so sleepy, I'll start eating a GD diet, just in case.

Thanks!!

#7 of 10 Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 PM

I'd agree with the "sounds like GD" sentiment. Could very well just be that you're tired, but a spike in blood sugar would certainly cause it as well.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#8 of 10 Old 05-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Me too! I'm so tired of the brainpower it takes to assemble and consume a meal; first you have to decide what you want, where to get it, how to cook it. Then you have to clean up afterward. And after all that, I bend over to tie my shoe or something and I throw up a little. Eating just isn't as fun as it used to be.

ETA: oops, just read OP more carefully and saw that you meant actual tiredness, not just apathy.

Sorry!

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
#9 of 10 Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM

It does sound like GD, which I was diagnosed with at 32 weeks (barely). So, if you test now you might get diagnosed, whereas 4 weeks ago you might have passed the test.

I was very tired after eating.

I agree with the pp's, eat a high protein breakfast - no oatmeal. If you eat any carbs make sure they have lots of fiber. And also no milk at breakfast.

You could buy a monitor and test strips, if you want to see your blood sugar w/o being diagnosed with GD.
I've noticed my blood sugar goes up higher after meals in the morning and early afternoon and then goes down by the evening.

I also had no other signs, just tiredness and wanting to eat carbs/sugar.

Andee
#10 of 10 Old 05-06-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
You could buy a monitor and test strips, if you want to see your blood sugar w/o being diagnosed with GD.
I was thinking about doing this. Is this a pretty reliable way to gauge this, and know what types of foods to stay away from?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page