Bikini wax anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always waxed my own bikini line and legs but now I can't really reach that well. Has anyone had their bikini line waxed since they've been pregnant? Wonder if there is any safety issues or if I'm going to freak anyone out if I go in looking like I do. I need it done because I swim and don't want to offend anyone at the pool with unsightly hairs!

mama to Quinn born 7.9.09, Audrey born 7.11.11, expecting baby3 July 19 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM

That's exactly why I bought a skirted swimsuit for when I'm preggers!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:20 PM

waxing isn't for me, but I know women who get waxed while PG. There are even spas who have specials on maternity waxing.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM

I've been getting a bikini wax for the last several months. I always shaved for the purpose of wearing my swimsuit, but can't see/reach anymore. My midwife said it is perfectly safe to do, but I have to say it is not the most pleasant experience! My "waxer" said that she had a woman who got a full brazilian wax up until she was overdue! I can't imagine! I take a regular swimming class and couldn't bring myself to "let it all hang out" so-to-speak. I just get the bikini line and a little on the top done. It takes about 15 minutes and stings a bit, but if I can tolerate it, probably anyone can!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:47 PM

I got Brazilian waxes all through my last pregnancy, and have been getting them with this one too, and have had no problems. I can't see my bikini area at all, so decided to just clear the area rather than try to groom it virtually blind. The lady who does my waxes doesn't seem to think it's at all unusual to wax a pregnant woman. And I have to admit, I love the results!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM

i'm a hariy indo-canadian So I waxed ALL the time (well every 5-6 weeks) throughout my pregnancy with my DS and this one too. No issues. You might be more sensitive, esp in the bikini area. I found that true with this pregnancy, not the last one.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 PM

I refuse to do something that painful when I can't see the results I am thinking of getting it done prior to when my DH and I are able to dtd again. I don't want to poach here but saw a couple people mentioned brazilians - how bad are they really - pain wise? Do they really leave you with nothing?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 PM

I actually had a bikini wax today (the first during this pregnancy) and it was almost painless - I was completely amazed!
She used a hard wax - no strips (i think the wax itself was blue) and said her clients love it because it so much more gentle then the traditional soft waxes with the linen strips. She also said that she had lots of pregnant clients who come in during their third tri when it becomes too difficult to see.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 PM

Oh man, I think I need one! I have only ever gotten one professional wax in my life... it wasn't bad, I can just normally shave that area so easily myself. Last pregnancy when it got difficult it wasn't really a problem since it was the dead of winter so nobody saw. This time I will definitely be out at the wading pool with DD a LOT and I don't want hair everywhere. So yeah... I need to find a good place to get it done!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move this to the general pregnancy forum since it's a general pregnancy-type question and not one specific to your DDC.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberoxy View Post
I don't want to poach here but saw a couple people mentioned brazilians - how bad are they really - pain wise? Do they really leave you with nothing?
I give myself brazilian waxes, and I have to say the most painful area to do is the main part right on the pubic bone. This is why I've never actually been left with nothing...there's always a 'landing strip' in the front. But everything between the legs is GONE!! You just need to keep the skin taut and it doesn't hurt (much). It actually hurt more doing my legs last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bef72m View Post
I got Brazilian waxes all through my last pregnancy, and have been getting them with this one too, and have had no problems. The lady who does my waxes doesn't seem to think it's at all unusual to wax a pregnant woman.
How does it work getting someone else to do a brazilian on you? Don't they see/touch EVERYTHING!? I was able to do one final wax at 37 weeks last time, but I think I'll be bigger this time around and not quite able to manage the contortions. So I'm always wondering how it would be to go to a salon and get it done.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 AM

I got a bikini wax when I was about 38 weeks pg with #1 ... they almost didn't do it because they were concerned it might trigger labor. They ended up doing it and let me tell you, NEVER AGAIN will I wax when that late in pregnancy! Holy moley, it hurt like heck. Apparently increased blood flow to the area makes it a lot more sensitive. I remember I had parked kind of far away and was barely able to make it back to the car, and a passer by actually stopped and asked me if I was OK.

Sewin earthlovin : Mama to my 8 yr old, 6 yr old and lil' baby : born 6/11/09.
:
Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Oh good, as it gets warmer and we're moving to swimming weather I was wondering about my annual summer bikini wax. The blessing of really dark hair and really fair skin... :eyeroll

I got waxed in an Aveda salon last summer and oh my goodness, it barely hurt at all. They had some special wax or other and I'm a total believer!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM

At what point in preg do you get too big to shave/wax yourself? I'm due in Nov, so hoping I can manage myself through the summer.

I swim every day pretty much - though during hte winter, I tend to just wear swim shorts on top of my suit to not have to shave, so I just might do that in summer, too.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 AM

my skin is so sensitive when pregnant that i can barely tolerate tags in my clothing. i can stand crotch waxing pretty well normally but can't imagine the horror of doing it while pregnant.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Three things:

1. Epilator! I used to be a dedicated waxer. Then I realized that buying wax over and over (and occasionally paying for a salon job) cost waaaay more than spending $60 on an epilator once, and it's less messy and more convenient. I still use wax on my eyebrows, but everything else gets epilated. It's fantastic, and if you do it several days in a row, you do end up with baby smooth legs after a while/for a while. I did stop ripping my bikini hair out around 4 months, and then stopped shaving around six or seven months. I could probably still manage to shave with an electric razor (I'm 34 weeks) but I decided that I just don't feel like being that uncomfortable when the hair is probably good for my immune system. I'm just wondering when I can get a wax post-partum!

2. If you get the bikini wax, make sure that the technician does it in small sections. There's one place in my city that is like "drive through brazilian" and she practically rips your skin off, she does it so fast and sloppy! I tolerated it before because they're cheap and you never needed an appointment, but during pg, I'd spring for a wax at a higher end salon.

3. Bikini wax vs. brazilian:

In a bikini wax, they can take off quite a lot of hair, but you'll be left with a little "clamshell fringe" at the very least (sometimes more depending on the technician). Usually you wear paper underwear that they pull to one side to do the wax. My bf says that actually he prefers this look to brazilian.

If you want brazilian, they do see everything, so they can get everything, but they see everyone's everything, so it's not a big deal.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclamen View Post
Epilator! I used to be a dedicated waxer. Then I realized that buying wax over and over (and occasionally paying for a salon job) cost waaaay more than spending $60 on an epilator once, and it's less messy and more convenient.
I agree about the epilator! It may seem like an expensive purchase (mine was almost $80 I think), but it's worth it when you think of how much wax you're saving. A little FYI though, I have the Braun silk-epil and the instructions say not to use it during pregnancy. But I used it last time I was pregnant, and nothing bad seemed to happen. I'm not sure why pregnant women aren't supposed to use an epilator.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 AM

The only thing I've been told about "not while you're pregnant" is pain/discomfort.

I was told wax might be too hot- funny they didn't mention the general pain from the ripping, eh?

I would guess the epilator is likely some kind of caution about cutting yourself? I don't see -why- but a LOT of companies would rather be safe than sorry (in a lawsuit) and say "No" to the pregnant woman.

I'm no expert- just noticed that a lot of things that are ok for women while pregnant still say, "Ask your doctor" and are generally to protect companies from idiots with no common sense- i.e. Caution: Coffee is HOT.

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM

I was a regualar brazilian bikini waxer, then I got pregnant last October and haven't had one since...eek. Now that summer is coming and I am 30 weeks along and too big to see my bits over my belly I feel like I NEED one so badly....I was wondering if anyone else got them and I'm glad to see that you ladies do, so I feel a Mother's Day gift coming on!!

Flo, SAHM to a fearless, crazy, off-the-wall DD (7/22/09) and Power Yoga Instructor the rest of the time   Expecting #2 in July 2012

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM

How do you use the epilator in the bikini area? Does your hair have to be a certain length? I ask, b/c I epilator my legs (and arms, yes I'm hairy), but am too scared to try my arm pit or bikini area...
Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
How do you use the epilator in the bikini area? Does your hair have to be a certain length? I ask, b/c I epilator my legs (and arms, yes I'm hairy), but am too scared to try my arm pit or bikini area...
The armpits sting a little but I don't mind at all.

For the bikini area... it does hurt more than waxing because you are going more slowly. If you use something like bandaid hurtfree antiseptic wash or bactine (anything numbing) it really helps.

But then I discovered that I could use the electric shaver head. No nicks... painless. I like that even better, and since it doesn't take much time, don't mind doing it more frequently.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The armpits sting a little but I don't mind at all.

For the bikini area... it does hurt more than waxing because you are going more slowly. If you use something like bandaid hurtfree antiseptic wash or bactine (anything numbing) it really helps.

But then I discovered that I could use the electric shaver head. No nicks... painless. I like that even better, and since it doesn't take much time, don't mind doing it more frequently.
Thanks! I had never even thought about using an electric shaver before, don't know why. I've knicked myself with the epilator before and OUCH. So, I am still kind of reserved about the idea of using it in the bikini area. BTW, how long does the arm pit hair stay away using the epilator? I don't know if it is just b/c I am a freak, but my leg and arm hair needs to be done sooner than the directions say.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

I wish I could afford a wax. Although any form of hair removal my skin hates, especially the bikini area....I'd be risking painful cysts...but I am SO HAIRY that uh...tmi but...it's hard to get it all dry after I use the bathroom and the hair gets caught on my undies and just bothers me. I try to trim but I'm trimming blind and it doesn't help much. Gah!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:20 PM

I've never waxed, but fwiw my boyshort style bikini bottoms cover all that needs to be covered

They are like these:

http://www.target.com/Merona-Plus-Bo...Bottoms&page=1

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
I've never waxed, but fwiw my boyshort style bikini bottoms cover all that needs to be covered

They are like these:

http://www.target.com/Merona-Plus-Bo...Bottoms&page=1
This is embarrassing to admit but. those shorts would NOT cover all my hair Also that type of short cuts into my fat hips and makes me look terrible.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I had never even thought about using an electric shaver before, don't know why. I've knicked myself with the epilator before and OUCH. So, I am still kind of reserved about the idea of using it in the bikini area. BTW, how long does the arm pit hair stay away using the epilator? I don't know if it is just b/c I am a freak, but my leg and arm hair needs to be done sooner than the directions say.
I've pinched myself too...It sucks! I would never have thought of using an electric razor if the epilator that I got (braun silk epil) hadn't come with a razor head attachment.

Sometimes, the armpit hair stays away for almost two months; other times I have some regrowth after two weeks. Supposedly if you epilate every day for a week, you end up with really smooth skin for a long time. I haven't tried it yet though, and I wouldn't really need to do that on my armpits anyhow...more like my legs.

Right now, I have about 1/4" of regrowth on my armpits. I could have epilated days ago but the hair has turned so baby fine you can barely see it, so I haven't bothered. And I have very dark, coarse hair.

A couple months ago, I did try to do my belly because it got hairier, but I just got a rash from doing it. Plus it hurt really bad.

I know it's really silly, but I love walking by the razor aisle in the store and never having to buy anything from it anymore. I know the epilator uses electricity, but I kind of feel like I'm able to accommodate my vanity while still being less wasteful by not using disposible razors, waxes, shaving cream....

Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I've pinched myself too...It sucks! I would never have thought of using an electric razor if the epilator that I got (braun silk epil) hadn't come with a razor head attachment.

Sometimes, the armpit hair stays away for almost two months; other times I have some regrowth after two weeks. Supposedly if you epilate every day for a week, you end up with really smooth skin for a long time. I haven't tried it yet though, and I wouldn't really need to do that on my armpits anyhow...more like my legs.

Right now, I have about 1/4" of regrowth on my armpits. I could have epilated days ago but the hair has turned so baby fine you can barely see it, so I haven't bothered. And I have very dark, coarse hair.

A couple months ago, I did try to do my belly because it got hairier, but I just got a rash from doing it. Plus it hurt really bad.

I know it's really silly, but I love walking by the razor aisle in the store and never having to buy anything from it anymore. I know the epilator uses electricity, but I kind of feel like I'm able to accommodate my vanity while still being less wasteful by not using disposible razors, waxes, shaving cream....
Thanks for sharing your advice. i should try that epilate for a wk thing, but I am soooo lazy, lol. I only epilate if I need to, and even then if I am really lazy (like I am going to wear a skirt or capris), I won't do my entire leg, just the lower part.

You know, I bought a braun silk epil 10 yrs ago and it did not come with a razor attachment. I wonder if that is a newer feature. The reason I got the braun was b/c a friend had one and recommended it and she didn't have a razor attachment either.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You know, I bought a braun silk epil 10 yrs ago and it did not come with a razor attachment. I wonder if that is a newer feature. The reason I got the braun was b/c a friend had one and recommended it and she didn't have a razor attachment either.
I only got mine about 5 years ago and it also doesn't have a razor attachment! I wonder if I could just order a razor attachment that works with my epilator, or the trick is that we have to by the whole set brand new!

User Tag List