Baby has small head on ultrasound? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a 28 week ultrasound today to check to make sure my placenta moved away from my cervix. (it did!) But on the scan the baby's head was 1.5 weeks or so behind the body. Like the body measured 28+w weeks and the head 26w4d. Is this something I should worry about? DS had a huge head, and it has always been in the 90th percentile. The tech said it was in the range of normal, but something about it is freaking me out.
#2 of 9 Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM

I don't know that I'd worry. Those u/s measurements are done so quickly, and if there's a shadow or the baby moves at all, the measurement can be off up to 1-2 weeks. If the doctor says it's within range and isn't doing any follow up to recheck measurements, there really should be no cause for concern.

FYI, I have u/s every two weeks for high-risk complications, and have had measurements off by that much more than once.

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#3 of 9 Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about it especially if they said it was within normal range....FWIW I had an u/s at 28-29 weeks to check on a low lying placenta and they said ds's head measured right on well he was born with a big ole' 15" head. u/s can be WAY off.
#4 of 9 Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
poe

I wouldn't worry either. Baby heads are quite "moldable" and can measure small in various fetal positions (especially breech). If the other measurements - tummy & femur were symmetrically lagging as well, that may be a bit more of a concern. Sounds like your babe's doing just fine
#5 of 9 Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 PM

I wouldn't put one iota of worry into an ultrasound tech saying one measurement was a week off. I think ultrasounds cause much more stress and problems than they solve in 90% of cases. I'd forget they even said it. I'm mad they told you. Like you can take some magic "head grow and catch up" pill. Like it is even an exact science - like someone else mentioned baby moving just as they are taking the measurement or tech clicking one or both ends of the measurement just a tad off.
#6 of 9 Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM

What gets me about the "you're a week off!" stuff is that it assumes that all babies measure the exact same ways in the same proportions at the same point in pregnancy. Knowing that healthy babies are born in a wide range of weights, some with big heads and tummies and shorter legs, some who are all arms and legs and skinny bodies, etc. etc., I just can't put that much stock in the mystical "average" perfect measurements.
So don't worry. Your kiddo is most likely 100% perfect!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#7 of 9 Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralshell View Post
What gets me about the "you're a week off!" stuff is that it assumes that all babies measure the exact same ways in the same proportions at the same point in pregnancy. Knowing that healthy babies are born in a wide range of weights, some with big heads and tummies and shorter legs, some who are all arms and legs and skinny bodies, etc. etc., I just can't put that much stock in the mystical "average" perfect measurements.
So don't worry. Your kiddo is most likely 100% perfect!
:

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

#8 of 9 Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I have calmed down a bit about it. One of the things I realized, is that I have a really small head! I have a hard time buying hats and sunglasses as they are always too big on me. Maybe she just has my genes.
#9 of 9 Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 AM

This happened when I had my 20 week u/s. The tech didn't tell me though but I could see the dates at the bottom of the screen. I worried about it for weeks until my midwife appt when I would actually get the results. I was told everything was just fine. Apparently head size is not a good way to date a pregnancy and if everything else is measuring okay there is no worries.

Mommy to DS (12-05) DD (9-10) wife to DH :
(2/05, 6/06, 6/08, 9/08 ) Due 5/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page