Mothering Forum banner

Ring Test - Gender?

666 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MommyLyon 
#1 ·
Cross posted in my DDC (June 2009)

So yesterday we were at my Mom's house for a BBQ and a friend of the family was there. Woman is about 38, from Poland and claims her grandmother taught her 40-50 years ago how to do the "ring" test to tell gender. She said it has to be a plain gold (pure yellow gold, not white gold or platinum) circle from a wedding or otherwise blessing.

She puts her own gold wedding band on a piece of thread and has you sit down and put your left hand palm up. She checks first to see what it says about your first kid (if you already have one) and bounces the ring up and down three times and then holds it still for a minute over your hand until it starts to move again - back and forth being for a girl, circles for a boy. In between each child and/or pregnancy she stops the ring and does the bounce thing again. Anyway, she did my mom and it showed what she has two girls and one boy (in that order) and did show that she had a hard pregnancy with me.

Then she did me and showed that I have one girl so far (true) and even said that there was a bit of momentary confusion over the gender. Which is true - in the delivery room my inebriated mom said boy for some reason for a split second before CNM and DH said no, it's a girl. She went on to say that this pregnancy is a girl also and has been an easy/strong pregnancy (true) and not to worry with the birth, will be fast. Then she said we'll have a third surprise child - a boy. She did my sister and it showed boy first, then girl (both true) and said she'll have a third pregnancy (which she doesn't plan to but her husband might want) and it will be a hard one but another girl.

Now gender doesn't matter to me - happy either way. But I do feel like there's a boy in there this time, although DH leans otherwise. In terms of other "wives tales", I am carrying ONLY in the front/belly, HB is much lower than it was with DD (usually 130 or less), my boobs aren't as big as they were with her, etc.

So what does everyone think? Does the "ring test" hold more validity than other wives tales? Does it make a difference that she claimed to know the "right way" from the old country and all?

See less See more
#3 ·
My neighbor did that test on me when I was 16. She said I was having 2 boys and a girl. I just laughed and carried on. Then when I turned 23 I had my first baby it was a boy, 14 mon. later I had another boy and now (5yrs later) i'm pregnant with a "surprise". So, will see in just a few weeks.
But, so far I am a believer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.