chicken pox exposure when pregnant??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am almost 30 weeks along and we are supposed to go on a vacation this Friday with some friends whose 2 kids have chicken pox. They may not be contagious anymore by then, but what if they are? I had chicken pox as a child, but is it okay for me to be exposed to the virus? At first I was excited to expose my own kids, it's so hard to find chicken pox now adays, but then I remembered about myself. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 PM

I purposefully exposed DS about 2 months ago (our second attempt and he finally caught it). I was 25 weeks at the time. Not the least bit concerned since I had them as a child.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 PM

I looked this all up recently. If you're immune, which you should be, there's no problem at all. Honestly...if I remember correctly (mostly paid attention to the part about whether or not the mom-to-be was immune), it's only an issue in the last...3?...weeks and maybe the first trimester. Ugh - can't remember the details...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 PM

My 3 kids had chicken pox when I was about 4 weeks pregnant with my fourth, I had chicken pox as a child, and I was fine, baby was fine, everything was fine.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM

When Sweetie had Shingles a couple of months back, my dr just asked me if I had chicken pox...I did (at age 17...yikes!) so she was not concerned. She said since I am immune, that it was ok. Good thing, because I had been touching and putting medicine all over his back and rash before we found out what it was.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 PM

If you've had it, the only thing you need to be careful about is your kids having it/being contagious when the new baby is born. It wouldn't be great to expose a brand-new newborn to the virus, especially before your milk comes in.

It has a 2-3 week incubation period followed by a week of contagiousness, so if your kids got it, they'd be done in four weeks at the very most. That would put you at 34 weeks. Most babies are still inside at 34 weeks. Do what you're comfortable with!

But you yourself being exposed to it while babe is in utero is fine, as long as you've had it. And even if you hadn't had it, the first trimester is the only time to avoid getting it.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 AM

I supose it is too late, but I would assume that you could get a blood test to double check if you are immune if you really were worried. Generally, if you have had it, you are immune; unless you are my husband (seems he is an odd one that just does not stay immune to it and has had it several times).

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 AM

My son had chickenpox 3 months ago when I was in my 2nd trimester. I had it when I was a kid so I am immune. Neither my son's doctor nor my midwife batted an eye about it.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
It has a 2-3 week incubation period followed by a week of contagiousness, so if your kids got it, they'd be done in four weeks at the very most. That would put you at 34 weeks. Most babies are still inside at 34 weeks. Do what you're comfortable with!
Does it always take 2-3 weeks to incubate? My kids have a social event this Friday. I want to take them, but I don't want to expose the people there to chickenpox. The first time my kids were exposed was last Tuesday, so it would be 10 days. Is there any possibility they'd be contagious at that point?

Got any good links?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-14-2009, 02:12 AM

Contageon begins with the fever and lasts through the "ozzing blisters". If there is no fever, there is no worry.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Does it always take 2-3 weeks to incubate? My kids have a social event this Friday. I want to take them, but I don't want to expose the people there to chickenpox. The first time my kids were exposed was last Tuesday, so it would be 10 days. Is there any possibility they'd be contagious at that point?

Got any good links?
I don't have any good links, but from my understanding when I was reading about it, 10 days incubation is possible but not usual. And like pp said, the contagiousness starts with the fever. The issue is -- what if they spike a fever while they're at playgroup, etc etc. And some of the moms in my playgroup, when they found out I exposed, did some research that said contagiousness could start five days prior to the blisters. I never found that research; all the things I read and docs I talked to said it starts with the fever.

Anyway, b/c of the variance of opinions and reactions, I just told anyone we were coming into contact with in an official capacity, and kept him in while he had a fever and pox (he never had more than a fever and one pox, so a very mild case.) I think the point is to make everyone comfortable that they have the freedom to make their own decisions.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
And some of the moms in my playgroup, when they found out I exposed, did some research that said contagiousness could start five days prior to the blisters.
Well, this could be possible, since the fever usually comes three to five days before the pox break out.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I purposefully exposed DS about 2 months ago (our second attempt and he finally caught it). I was 25 weeks at the time. Not the least bit concerned since I had them as a child.
ditto
counting the days until the pox (hopefully) appear
I figured it was easier to deal with one kid than two
good luck

wife & holistic mama of 1 girl, 1 boy and 1 :
Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 PM

My only concern would be how close you are to your dd, and the length of incubation for your kids. It can be from 11-21 days before the fever and the rash starts, then you have to plan for the time for your kids to be sick, which can be 1-2 weeks total, not figuring in if one child gets it from the friends, then the other one doesn't catch from the friends, but catches from the sibling (this is what happened in our family).

Not to be a bummer as it is nice to get them exposed, but we had a really hard chicken pox experience with my 2 oldest having them consecutively (plus they each had terrible cases and were thoroughly miserable for a long time).
I wouldn't choose to deal with that during my last weeks of pg.

The cp is only contagious if there is a fever (best time) or if there are still oozing pox.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I don't have any good links, but from my understanding when I was reading about it, 10 days incubation is possible but not usual. And like pp said, the contagiousness starts with the fever. The issue is -- what if they spike a fever while they're at playgroup, etc etc. And some of the moms in my playgroup, when they found out I exposed, did some research that said contagiousness could start five days prior to the blisters. I never found that research; all the things I read and docs I talked to said it starts with the fever.

Anyway, b/c of the variance of opinions and reactions, I just told anyone we were coming into contact with in an official capacity, and kept him in while he had a fever and pox (he never had more than a fever and one pox, so a very mild case.) I think the point is to make everyone comfortable that they have the freedom to make their own decisions.
I think I'll be keeping them home, anyway - no sign of the pox yet, but they both woke up with awful colds this morning...and so did I. Ugh. Now, I kind of hope the pox hold off for a few days!

User Tag List