Tracking bbt during early pregnancy & worried.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out Thursday I'm pregnant, and got bloodwork done that day, which was "normal" according to my doc's office (I should have asked for the numbers, but I didn't). So anyway, as of Thursday afternoon my progesterone and hcg levels were normal for someone about 5 weeks preg (in reality three weeks since conception). This morning I woke up and my temp was low - not down to the coverline, but 98.2 where it had been averaging 98.45 for a while. Should I be concerned? I took my temp really early this morning because I woke up (for some reason) an hour before I normally do, and I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep so I just went ahead and took it. I don't know if that makes much difference or not, though.

What I'm asking is, how big a temp dip would you see if you were getting ready to miscarry? Should I call my doc or just wait and see what my temp is tomorrow? I'm scheduled to go back in on Monday for more blood work, but I'm just paranoid here, wondering if I should wait that long to talk to them. What do you guys think? TIA.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#2 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 AM

If your not bleeding or cramping, I say wait till Monday. Waking up early can cause your bbt to be lower. I know how hard it is. I still feel somewhat apprehensive and still check obsessively when I wipe. I'm sending : your way.

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#3 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Best thing I did was to stop checking my bbt once I knew I was pregnant. Only thing it's going to do is make you nuts.

Your pregnant!!!! Woo hoo!!!:

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#4 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 02:53 PM

One low temp, especially in the absence of other symptoms, is not cause for concern. If you have several low temps or they continue to go down, then you MAY have reason to be concerned.

I had also planned to temp through my pregnancy, but it just got to be too much. I found that by stopping temping, I was a lot less aware (and worried) about all my symptoms.

P.S. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#5 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Sleeping with your mouth open can also cause temp fluctuations.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#6 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM

The only m/c I charted had two temps below my coverline before I started bleeding.

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#7 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 03:15 PM

I temped sporadically through the first trimester. My advice to you is to STOP TEMPING if it's stressing you out.

FWIW, I had a miscarriage in my last pregnancy and my temp did not reflect it. This pregnancy I temped and had some big dips, including one huge dip to the coverline (a dip of a whole degree, not just .2 or so) the day I expected AF to arrive. It didn't mean anything.

If it's making you crazy, stop temping. It won't necessarily alert you if you m/c, and a dip doesn't really mean anything.

and congrats!! I saw your post about subfertility in TTC.
#8 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 04:03 PM

I temped during TWO pregnancies that ended in miscarriage and NEITHER chart showed a temp drop until after I had been bleeding for a day or two. Not to worry. Your chart looks great to me!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#9 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM

PUT THE THERMOMETER DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#10 of 10 Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks SO MUCH - you guys are making me feel a whole lot better!!! I even called the on-call person at my RE's office today - ended up getting the doc himself - he said, and I quote, "Uhm, let's not take our temperature anymore, shall we? Put your thermometer away and enjoy your good news! See you Monday!"

I know, I know...paranoia self-destroy-a. Isn't that what we said in 8th grade?

Thanks you guys. Really. I don't know what I'd do without you all.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page