17 weeks and have only gained ONE POUND - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i'm a little nervous. i'm 17 weeks prego and i haven't really gained weight yet. i had gained 20lbs by now with my first. i know that some people don't really gain a lot of weight when prego, but i thought that that was overweight people? i'm not overweight. i'm really underweight to begin with. i'm 5'7 and weigh 115. i was 105 when i got prego with my first and gained 50lbs. that's why i'm so nervous.

i have IBS and it's been acting up REALLY badly for the past 3 weeks. i eat and drink well, but can't really keep any food in for very long. i go in 2 weeks for my ultrasound, but i'm scared. i am scared that the baby isn't growing. i'm sure it is, as the kicks and stuff are getting stronger, but i'm nervous.

who else out there is relatively underweight and didn't gain a lot when pregnant?? please ease my mind! lol

D, wife to an awesome man, mommy to 2 awesome boys!!
#2 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I didn't gain much early on with his one but it picked up and I'm up about average now at the end of it. Baby takes what it needs, if you aren't getting enough nutrition it will be you who suffers first not the baby. Have you been getting urinalysis done? They'd know if you had ketones present that you weren't getting enough calories.
#3 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
With DD1 I started off the pg at 107 and 5'5. I didn't gain a lb until 20 weeks, I went on to gain a total of 19 lbs. DD1 was born at 38 weeks weighing 6lbs 13ozs. Oddly enough I gained about 35lbs my next pg starting from the very beginning and that DD was 2 ozs smaller then the first one!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
DivineMrsM, at this stage when I was pregnant with my first, I wasn't yet *back* to my pre-pregnancy weight. My son was born at 40 weeks, 7 lbs 12 oz., perfectly healthy kid. (He's two now. The picture of devilish mischief and perfect health.)

I'm fifteen weeks pregnant today, and last time I stepped on a scale, I was a tad below the pre-pregnancy weight as well. And I'm a skinny little thing too.

Short version: do not worry about your weight gain. The baby will pretty much suck whatever nutrients it needs from you, leaching them out of your bones if necessary. The baby is fine.

You, now, the IBS sounds like no fun, and you will be healthier if you're better nourished, so I would say absolutely talk to your doctors about how you're feeling and what can be done to make things better for you. Anytime you are pregnant and scared, feel free to call your OB or midwife. I wouldn't page them in the middle of the night for this one, but I might well call them today.
#5 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm not sure if it makes you feel any better, but I'm 14w3d and I'm still down 8 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm not too concerned about it, but I've heard of lots of women who don't gain until much later on and figure I am just going to be one of them. :0)

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#6 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 AM

I am 16w5d and just started regaining some of my pre-pregnancy weight; I am still in the negative though. I was also on the low end of the weight scale (starting BMI<19 ).

I just read an article, that a lot of countries stopped measuring moms as part of the prenatal visits, because the weight gain does not really predict a healthy pregnancy. Also, a lot of woman get anxious and try to gain the correct amount of weights to fit in a certain schedule.

The guidelines you can find anywhere are true for most people (I'd say 80-90%), but they are not true for others; take these with a grain of salt. If you feel healthy and you feel that you baby is healthy, you don't need to be concerned.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#7 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
normally i would say don't worry but between you being so thin to start with and the IBS i would call your Dr/MW and just have things checked out. worrying isn't going to help anyone. it is quite simple to check your fundal height and see if the babies growth is on track. also if your IBS is making it hard to keep anything in dehydration would be a concern and you may need someone tgo look after that as well. it just never hurts to call in and run it past your health care provider.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#8 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Lurking from a different board. I gained 50 lbs in my 1st pregnancy, and I'm 26 weeks this time and have only gained 9 lbs. I'm also underweight, whether pregnant or not. Honestly I'm not worried. I ate very poorly and drank 1/2 gallon of whole milk a day last pregnancy (to gain weight) and ended up with a 9 lb baby, huge for my tiny frame. I've seen people who gain 10 lbs and end up with 7 lb babies. Our bodies do seem to know what's right, as long as we give them a balanced diet and exercise.

However, I know nothing about IBS so I can't really give an opinion about that.

How do you *feel*?

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#9 of 9 Old 05-18-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
normally i would say don't worry but between you being so thin to start with and the IBS i would call your Dr/MW and just have things checked out. worrying isn't going to help anyone. it is quite simple to check your fundal height and see if the babies growth is on track. also if your IBS is making it hard to keep anything in dehydration would be a concern and you may need someone tgo look after that as well. it just never hurts to call in and run it past your health care provider.
What people forget is that low weight gain can be a symptom of an underlying issue. It makes me crazy when health care providers make it sound like you need to gain weight purely for the sake of itself, rather than using weight to consider if something might be wrong... or if nothing is wrong and it's just what your body does.

It is common to gain less weight with subsequent pregnancies. I'm also the same size as you and often have slow gain in the beginning, and frequently measure behind, and all of our babies have been over eight pounds. However, since you have IBS and it's acting up, I'd really want to rule that out as a cause for your slow weight gain.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page