Do you have compelling research against coffee during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Convince me why it's bad mamas? Because otherwise I'll keep drinking my 2 (12-16 oz.) cups a day, unless morning sickness dictates otherwise as it did last time. I love my coffee!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#2 of 32 Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM

I never stopped coffee during my first pregnancy. My OB told no more than 2 cups a day. I did have a little more than that without negative outcomes. I have evening sickness though. I start my job @ 4 in the morning for 12 hours, not a chance I give up coffee. Especially in the exhausting first trimester. I don't make it as strong as usually. Should I stop by at Starbucks I ask for half decaf and half regular.
This has worked for me.
#3 of 32 Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM

I haven't seen anything that says to stop completely... even modest Health Canada just recommends no more than 300mg of caffeine a day... so about 2-3 cups of coffee...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#4 of 32 Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 PM

I drink a large cup in the morning. I don't think there's anything wrong with that

I mean if you're drinking a couple of pots a day you might have a few problems, but that amount I would not be concerned with at all

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#5 of 32 Old 05-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Moved to the general pregnancy forum .

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#6 of 32 Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Good. I have heard so many people say that they are giving up caffeine during pregnancy and I keep thinking "why?" I wasn't as into coffee during my first two pregnancies. And couldn't stand the smell of it during my 3rd. So far so good this time. I will continue to drink it unless my body dictates otherwise.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#7 of 32 Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Well I think it has to do with wanting to control as much as possible, when the reality is, drinking two cups of coffee a day is just not going to cause a miscarriage. If one has a miscarriage, it is simply not going to be accurate to say "It was my morning coffee" because the likelihood is, it's actually something gone wrong in the development, or severe, prolonged stress, or drug use (not that anyone here would be that daft) or a bleed, or something like that.

Getting all stressed out over cutting 1001 things out is probably a bad idea certainly worse than having a cup of coffee. I am pretty sure most medical people would agree

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#8 of 32 Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 PM

Fwiw, the suggestion that 1-2 cups should be fine, is based on smaller cups, more like 5-6 oz. Two 12-16 oz cups daily would have me trying to cut that in half just to err on the side of caution.
#9 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
Convince me why it's bad mamas? Because otherwise I'll keep drinking my 2 (12-16 oz.) cups a day, unless morning sickness dictates otherwise as it did last time. I love my coffee!
2 cups a day is fine by most dr's, but you are drinking 4 x 8oz cups. One cup is 8 ounces, so when they recommend no more than 2 cups, they mean 8 ounce cups. You could also find out which coffees have less caffeine in them. I think the cheaper the brand, the higher the caffeine content. I'm sure googling that would come up with something more concrete!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=

"It didn't matter what the beverage was; once the 200mg caffeine level was reached, the miscarriage rate increased, suggesting that caffeine is the culprit, rather than some chemical in coffee."

The article says 200mg is about 2-3 cups.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#10 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well many days I only have one cup (12-16 oz.) As for brand...I make my own. I buy organic high quality green coffee beans and roast them myself. So, no brand to google for caffeine content. And usually if I have a second cup, it's actually an iced mocha made with cold brewed coffee concentrate that has about 30% less caffeine than hot brewed coffee, and I probably only use about 4 oz. mixed with chocolate silk soymilk. So, I'm probably fine. I also have no history of natural miscarriage with 3 previous perfect pregnancies (had and IUD pregnancy and miscarriage, probably pretty unrelated to coffee intake.)

Thanks ladies for clearing this subject up for me! I appreciate it!

#11 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 AM

Hi Alisha! I had been mostly off coffee for years before the first pg, because it affects me so strongly, it really throws my blood sugar off. But when pg the first time, I found I could drink a whole cup (about 8 ozs, with soymilk), and it didn't mess me up a bit! I guess just cause of the weight gain? As soon as dd was born, I was back to the old me, and if I drank coffee she would be up all night. Second pg no change, and even 2 chocolate covered espresso beans would keep both girls up all night. Go figure.
Congrats!
#12 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM

The perinatologist I work with says that caffeine has been shown to increase the heart rate and respiration rate of the baby in utero, and therefore limits her patients to 1 five-ounce cup of caffeinated coffee a day. She does not usually cite concerns about miscarriage, especially after the 1st trimester.

I don't drink coffee anyway, though I love soda. During preg, I've had soda about 5 times total. My thought is just that I don't want baby to get stimulant drugs, which caffeine is, even if the effects aren't huge. I feel like the effect on heart and breathing is enough to concern me. but that's just my opinion.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#13 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 AM

I never give up my coffee.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 PM

I think everything is fine in moderation! I have a couple glasses of iced tea every day or maybe cola if my stomach is bothering me. I didn't want to touch coffee for the first two trimesters due to morning sickness and aversion, but I had a frapacino with a decaf shot of espresso (I don't know how they make espresso decaf!) the other day and it was heavenly. This thread is making me crave real coffee. I think I'll have some with breakfast this weekend

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#15 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
:

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#16 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Personally, I'm cutting WAAAAY back on it. I was having 2-3 cups of coffee and a diet coke per day while prego w/ DD when I ran into problems. They found at about 32 weeks that she had an arrhythmia (abnormal heart rate) and sent me to a Perinate. Although the anatomy of her heart was perfect, her rhythm was "off" (can't remember the medical terminology) and they said that the most common cause was excessive stimulants crossing the placenta. I wasn't using any illicit drugs (duh) and never took cold medications or the like, so we determined the only source must have been from my daily coffee and diet coke.

Thank God everything turned out ok, but I'm just not risking it this time around when I'm feeling fine without having it everyday. A cup or two every week is the max I'm drinking.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#17 of 32 Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM

I hear ya! For a normal pregnancy with no known issues, I don't see anything wrong with everything in moderation.

For a couple weeks I didn't drink much coffee, but just because I wasn't feeling well. Now I drink one cup (8 or 12 oz) and make any subsequent cups decaf. I also try to do lattes at home to get in some needed dairy. If I really want a soda while I'm out, I try to get something non-caffeine, just out of personal preference.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#18 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 AM

I don't drink much coffee, but have to have my tea.

I personally think it is less likely to bother you at all if it is a normal thing for you. If you got pregnant and suddenly began drinking it in large quantities, I think it would affect you differently. But that is just MO.

It is like me and spicy foods. I have heard all the stories about how this or that is not good while pg or will start labor. And how you should avoid this or that. Like cyanne pepper. But since it is a regular part of my diet, I have never had large quantities bother me at all, and it has never put me into labor, no matter how much I have eaten.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#19 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 05:12 PM

My midwife said I could drink a pot a day if I wanted too. But I know that for me that would be way to much. I personally don't handle more than two cups a day well. Last pg I did 1/2 regular 1/2 decaf and about 1-2 cups a day. I generally got decaf if I went to get a latte. This time I'll probably have one regular cup a day because that is what I've been doing just previous to this pg. I don't think 2 cups would be a problem, but I think most studies are based on 8 oz cups.
#20 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#21 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 PM

I think generally it's the miscarriage risk. I was willing to take a small risk and at the same time I did cut back from the large amt I was drinking. For most of my pregnancy, I found it extremely hard to give it up entirely. I think part of that was the nausea that lasted until the third trimester. The caffeine helped it.

I finally gave it up, not because of any supposed risks, but because I don't want to be hooked on it after the baby comes. I want her to sleep when she needs to sleep and not wonder if I am altering her natural schedule with caffeine in my system.

I guess what I am trying to say, is I am more concerned with being addicted to it than anything else. That said, I am sure I will go back to coffee again eventually. I always do.

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#22 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 05:30 PM
srs

I don't tend to want it much in the first trimester, and then afterwards stick to 1/2-1 cup a day.

As for wondering about the effect on nurslings, I was worried about my coffee habit with my nursing toddler until I got pg, cut it out completely, and she doesn't sleep any differently at all. I think I just wasn't blessed with a good sleeper.

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
#23 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This isn't a link to a study but to an article based on one, but still: Coffee Raises Miscarriage Risk It specifically mentions the first 12 weeks, the time when miscarriages are most likely to occur. Given that, I would tend to abstain - but then, that's easy for me to say, as I don't like coffee (or Coke, or tea, or energy drinks!).

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#24 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 PM

I have tried to give up my coffee during pregnancy and I can't not the whole nine-ten months anyway, I can do the first trimester maybe but I do cut back alot or switch to half caf so I can have the amount I am used to.
#25 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 PM

I felt fine having one (large) cup of coffee/day. Since week 6, though, I've been feeling too crummy for it.
#26 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I desperately wanted another cup this afternoon (after my 16 oz. morning cup, and an iced mocha in the afternoon) but I did not cave. Normally I would have, even though I mostly stick to only 2 coffee drinks a day. When I'm extra tired, maybe once a week I'll have another cup later in the day. But I did not cave today.

I think I'll try roasting some decaf so that I can do half/half on the days I want more.

#27 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 PM

It's interesting that the big concern is miscarriage. I'd never been told that. I was told to restrict caffeine, because it causes prematurity and low birth weight babies. Since my last one was 10lb. 14oz, and went a couple weeks post-dates - and the one before that was 10lb. 8oz and 41w, 5d, I don't worry about it much.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#28 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 01:44 AM

DH and I have a coffee shop and I would normally drink 2-4 cups each day. I miscarried in November and FWIW decided that the risk was enough that I cut back when TTC again. I know a lot of women miscarry (like 1 in 4 or 5), but I didn't want to push my luck, and do what was within my power to better my odds. I'm not one to believe everything I read, but some of these studies are compelling enough to sway me.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#29 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 03:40 AM

There was a recent study that showed a link between caffeine consumption during pregnancy and learning disabilities, let me see if I can find a link.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2597749
#30 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...interesting. Well, I will try to keep it to just 1 or 2 large cups a day, but unless morning sickness dictates otherwise, I do think I'll keep drinking it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page