No energy in first trimester - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey All,

This is my third pregnancy and I just do not remember ever feeling this lethargic early in my other pregnancies. I'm 34 and I'm about 60 lbs overweight (5' 7"). I eat pretty sensibly though. I get enough sleep at night. I didn't develop gest. diabetes in my first two pregnancies either.

I also have very low motivation, maybe bordering on depression (?). I see my midwife for the first appt on the 30th but I just need some advice. I prefer to use food as medicine so does anyone have any suggestions for any vitamins that I might be lacking.

Also, no matter what I eat it seems that after 15 minutes my gut just is uncomfortable. I don't even eat a lot at a time. It's not heartburn; it's kind of like nausea but not a strong nausea and it is a deep feeling. And it's not gas. Any advice on this would be appreciated too.

TIA! Elissa
#2 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Every pregnancy is different, and I imagine you're just more tired than normal! Should be okay
#3 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:15 PM

I'm totally exhausted too. And it does feel like I can't eat at one time, as much as I normally can, which I assume is gas.

I've always been bushed starting out in pregnancy, and is the only time I've been able to nap mid-day really. I need about 10 hours of sleep a day, and even then I'm still tired.
#4 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:22 PM

It looks like you have 2 young children and are in the first tri, uh yeah you're gonna be tired. I also am 34, 2nd pregnancy and OMG I thought the utter fatigue was going to do me in. My DD is super duper active and it was a hard first few weeks, she watched more than her share of Little Bear those first weeks. I also am a bit overweight, eat healthfully, and had a healthy easy pregnancy. This one has been a lot harder on me physically, I was sick, I also had that heartburny acid stomach not matter what I ate. I finally gave in and started taking Zantac because I felt so bad, it helped so much. My digestive system was so wacky. Also I personally noticed my prenatal vitamin was setting the acid off, I started cuttin git in to smaller pieces.

Good luck, I did find I felt much better around 10 weeks.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#5 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM

I feel very sluggish, tired, under the weather and queasy. I felt this way with DS. I felt *great* with my girls. I only had mild food aversion and a sensitive gag reflex starting mid second trimester.

I'm just blah. If I'm not out and about I get sleepy by late morning. I wonder if this little bean is a boy.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08 angel2.gif  and rainbow1284.gif Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again December 7th! baby.gif 
#6 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:31 PM

no real advice just wanted to say that i never feel more exhausted and lethargic than i do in the first trimester. my digestion and moods are also off. some pregnancies more than others. listen to what your body is telling you and rest as much as you can, eat what feels right.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#7 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM

I've always been completely exhausted in my first trimester (and this time, I've had bonus exhaustion, as baby-under-construction will arrive in a little over a month, and I'm still wiped out). I read something recently about it being a result of hormones, which slow down digestion, in order to extract more nutrients from food...and also slow down everything else. I don't know if that's true or not.

I've never had a care provider, whether OB, GP or midwife, express any concerns at all about first trimester exhaustion. They just advise me to rest.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Banned

Every pregnancy is different. Imo, very low energy in the first trimester is normal. All I did this time around was lay on the cough for three months. But, I had HG as well so that was part of the exhaustion.

I was even more tired for my first two pregnancies.
#9 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 PM

I have been completely exhausted during the first trimester of both my pregnancies.

As for the eating thing, you could try treating it like regular nausea during pregnancy, eat frequently and smaller amounts, try to make sure your stomach is never completely empty, raw almonds sometimes help, etc. You could also try a digestive enzyme...you can get one that is made from whole food sources.
#10 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and support. After I posted, I started flipping through my Nourishing Traditions book (aka WAPF Bible) and found that nutritional yeast can help with cronic fatigue so I took a teaspoonful and it did seem to give me some energy. Also, it has some B vitamins which I thought helped fight depression. Now I just need to figure out how much to take each day. I hope that this is not a fluke.
#11 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 07:19 PM

I felt the exact same way with my third pregnancy. Turns out it was a girl after two boys

Hope you feel better soon s

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#12 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 PM

I have been much more tired/exhausted with this pg than my first. I've been sleeping 10 hours and still tired by mid-day. I have been eating somewhat smaller frequent meals and taking a digestive enzyme with all major meals. My midwife recommended I take B-6 or a B-Complex, but I haven't done that yet. I'm still wary of my prenatals in regards to the nausea. Try to rest up a bit more. I pretty much crash after work and went to bed last night at 7 pm!
#13 of 13 Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BeAnAmerican View Post
I felt the exact same way with my third pregnancy. Turns out it was a girl after two boys

Hope you feel better soon s
Yeah, I'm thinking that this might be a girl.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page