Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
That was an example
You said that Denmark is the Scandinavian country that is different from all the rest...
Nope. I said Denmark was different from where we live. Period. I didn't even really mention any other country.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#92 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 08:48 AM

I've also heard that drinking wine is okay during pregnancy, but I don't think I'd drink more than 1 glass per day (IF that much). But I'm not much of an alcohol drinker when not pregnant.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#93 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Wow this thread has taken a personal turn it seems! Can we agree there are cultural differences and variances of personal experiences to each person's point of view? I think the original point of the thread was just a clarification of getting medical advice that it's ok to have a drink occasionally during pregnancy. Sure, if that makes you uncomfortable then clearly don't do it! However, some respect for the FACT that an occasional alcoholic beverage isn't going to cause problems any more than an occasional nitrate laden hoagie, or an occasional chocolate cake and ice cream binge, or an occasional fast food bonanza, or an occasional "insert any other vice" etc etc etc.

Sure, it might not be for you. I totally get that. But there are women who ARE comfortable whether for social, cultural, personal, or medicinal reasons. Riding a sanctimonious high horse does nothing to engender support or encouragement and just divides groups into the 'shoulds' and 'shouldn'ts'.

Here's the OP:

Quote:
Dr. says alcohol while pregnant o.k.!
Have you heard this before? My cousin is pregnant and was openly drinking wine at her sister's graduation party last weekend. When asked she said her Dr. said on glass/drink a week is fine and won't hurt the baby! WTF!?! I have not heard this and have two young boys of my own, one born last August. I thought this theory had been proven way wrong long ago.

My midwife did tell me a glass of beer may help induce labor but only to be considered if I were to go over 41.5 weeks, I went over but never drank. But to have a drink every week of pregnancy to me is crazy, would you give your baby a drink every week? I think not.

Anyone else heard of this?

Maybe it's advice given out in the mainstream medical community, a community I stay far, far away from.
OP, my midwife and my doula both actually suggested an occasional drink as a way to relax and unwind. The ONE time I had an OB I was told 'never touch the stuff, any amount can cause problems". Clearly my midwife and doula (who barely know each other) aren't suggesting anyone go on a drinking binge, but it's not that big of a deal and is presumed that, like every other experience in life, moderation is the basis of common sense.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#94 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Ah, I seriously don't think that one drink is going to harm a baby.

I had a stressful night last night and probably would have had a glass of wine, expect that right now my stomach can't handle it. Additionally, I am the partner of an ex alcoholic and I don't drink in his presence because I want to support him.

Over here in the US (I am originally from the UK), they same you can only use saline nasal spray as well. In the UK, things like Afrin (Otrivine) are considered fine in normal doses. The only study I've ever found with adverse effects from Afrin was a study involving one woman who took Afrin six times in 15 hours, and then showed signs of an elevated heartrate which was also shown in her baby, at about 35 weeks (as far as I remember). The baby was born shortly afterward with apgars of 9 and 10. Another study involving numerous women in the third trimester showed no effects at all in mother or baby when Afrin was taken at the correct dosage.

Yet, doctors still don't recommend Afrin. If I didn't take it from time to time, I wouldn't be able to breathe - I always have serious pregnancy rhinitis. Same goes for my mother, who had to take it from time to time during all five of her pregnancies.

Anyway there we go. I am so nauseated right now that I couldn't drink anyway. But ther we go

*HUGE hugs* XXX

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#95 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
I've also heard that drinking wine is okay during pregnancy, but I don't think I'd drink more than 1 glass per day (IF that much).
I personally wouldn't consider more than one drink a day to be "light" drinking, during pregnancy or otherwise. Most medical guidelines I've read recommend no more than one drink a day for women (non-pregnant) and two drinks a day for men (difference due to larger average body mass, and different biochemistry). They usually then go on to say than having more than that occasionally is okay, but that more than...four (I think?) drinks on any one occasion qualifies as binge drinking. Going by those guidelines, I don't think more than a drink a day could be considered "light" drinking, yk?

(Obviously, those guidelines overlook cultural factors. If on happens to live in a culture where drinking more than that in a day is normal and widespread, classifying it as binge drinking, in any but a strict physical sense, is a bit over-the-top.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#96 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I personally wouldn't consider more than one drink a day to be "light" drinking, during pregnancy or otherwise. Most medical guidelines I've read recommend no more than one drink a day for women (non-pregnant) and two drinks a day for men (difference due to larger average body mass, and different biochemistry). They usually then go on to say than having more than that occasionally is okay, but that more than...four (I think?) drinks on any one occasion qualifies as binge drinking. Going by those guidelines, I don't think more than a drink a day could be considered "light" drinking, yk?

(Obviously, those guidelines overlook cultural factors. If on happens to live in a culture where drinking more than that in a day is normal and widespread, classifying it as binge drinking, in any but a strict physical sense, is a bit over-the-top.)
I read it's three or more drinks to be binge drinking, and that 5 or more drinks per week is considered "heavy drinking" by medical professionals. I'm not 100% sure about that though.
#97 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
Nope. I said Denmark was different from where we live. Period. I didn't even really mention any other country.
Actually you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
Yeah, Denmark is probably like that. They have a completely different attitude to alcohol than other Scandinavian/Northern European countrys. The Denish drink alcohol with their breakfast, lunch and tea. Younger people are allowed to buy alcohol than where I live.
But in my Northern European/Scandinavian country, and our neighbour countrys there is absolutely a no-alcohol during pregnancy policy and norm, and nobody does it.
Back to regular scheduled programming
#98 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Actually you said...
Oh yes, actually. I blame the sleep deprivation.
Just bc I didn't specify I think, and didn't mean to.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#99 of 110 Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 PM

Everything in moderation I say! I don't drink more then 1/2 a drink if I have any at all, but with my son I had an irritable uterus and I would drink 1/2 a beer or 1/2 a glass of wine to stop the contractions. With my twins, well they were twins, the ute rebelled. I drank less but I still had some on very rare occation. My kids are all highly gifted, my three year old is starting to read and write and do arithmatic.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#100 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 AM

a glass of wine or beer occassionally is fine!! now, i see lots of pregnant mamas slugging back diet soda-that makes me nervous...that's some badness, diet soda....

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#101 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Erin* View Post
a glass of wine or beer occassionally is fine!! now, i see lots of pregnant mamas slugging back diet soda-that makes me nervous...that's some badness, diet soda....
The artificial sweetener I can't stand personally, but I had to have caffeine during pg with DS (couldn't stomach the thought of it with DD, and coffee, tea, and coke tasted like mold :eww!) because it kept migraines at bay. I hate when people say "no caffeine! I would switch a pg woman's drink to decaf if she ordered one!"

Without caffeine (not a lot, but some, about 1/month a giant tall cup o' coffee and daily a 1/2 cup or so), I would have been in bed for 48 hours without food, very little water, unable to care for my DD, totally dark room, with my head throbbing. Coffee was cleared by my medical provider, it worked on the migraines, and it kept me literally functioning. Decaf with all the added chemicals to decaf it would have been a catastrophe for me!

And anyway, caffeine may affect early miscarriage, and it may affect getting pregnant, but it has not been shown to cause problems once a woman is so pg that a barista could tell! (Migraines started mid-pg for me and stopped in the last month or two).

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#102 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 12:45 AM

This is a great thread.

This reminds me of a shirt I plan to get when I'm pregnant again.

http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/no-idea-you-were-an-ob-womens-tshirt/111692587

Aurora , happy wife to C., mama to 3 : and , lost 12/08 & our 4/24/10
#103 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I can't remember the symptoms of FAE, but I did read about it quite a bit a few years ago, and I do recall that none of the children of those women ever exhibited any of those symptoms.
The symptoms include any of the following, but are not limited to them:

* Small size for gestational age or small stature in relation to peers
* Facial abnormalities such as small eye openings
* Poor coordination
* Hyperactive behavior
* Learning disabilities
* Developmental disabilities (e.g., speech and language delays)
* Mental retardation or low IQ
* Problems with daily living
* Poor reasoning and judgment skills
* Sleep and sucking disturbances in infancy

As one can see, it is not easy to link the symptoms back to alcohol exposure in uterus, but outright denying that there is such a possibility seems strange to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I gave you several links and examples, quite a few of them did in fact go over alcohol exposure in general, especially this one:
Thank you, and I did read them. But again, they are talking about FAS exclusively, it is just easier to analyze.

And this study is one study, there are others who show differently. I haven't read their methodology, as I have my life is busy right now.

Quote:
And I've yet to see people "damn" something.
I am not damning drinking alcohol, I am wondering about some of the arguments (no risk whatsoever from 1-2glasses a day for instance). Maybe I am also surprised as how many doctors advice woman differently from the official guidelines of their country. It is not my choice, but we are all grownups and make our own decisions from facts, feelings and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama View Post
Seriously,how many women in Europe do you really know?
Many I left Europe about the same time you did. I have tons of family still over there, and visit regulary. I know people in Austria, Germany, France, Poland, Sweden, Netherlands, some in the UK and Portugal. I obviously haven't checked all their guidelines, but haven't found one so far, that says a drink a day is fine. If you find one, please post.

A lot of the old time attitudes comes from the believe, that the placenta is a barrier. For some substances it is, for some it is not, and for some it even enhances the effect of the substance.

But I agree, I shouldn't have put all woman here in one boat, I don't recognize many names around here yet, so a lot of opinions seem to blur together in my mind. I will try to pay more attention to the individual opinions represented here.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#104 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post
T

Thank you, and I did read them. But again, they are talking about FAS exclusively, it is just easier to analyze.

And this study is one study, there are others who show differently. I haven't read their methodology, as I have my life is busy right now.

I am not damning drinking alcohol, I am wondering about some of the arguments (no risk whatsoever from 1-2glasses a day for instance). Maybe I am also surprised as how many doctors advice woman differently from the official guidelines of their country. It is not my choice, but we are all grownups and make our own decisions from facts, feelings and experience.

I did not claim you dammed anything. I said I HAD YET TO SEE (which means, I had not seen at this time) ANYONE damn ANYTHING. I wasn't even talking about you or any one person specifically. I was responding to the comment that said we have a casual attitude toward alcohol but yet "damn" chemical sunscreens.

Actually, you're wrong when you state that the links only deal with FAS.

Again, I will cut and paste from the following link
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Fet...lSyndrome.html

"A study of moderate drinking during pregnancy found no negative effects. The researchers suggested that one drink per day provides a significant margin of safety, although they did not encourage drinking during pregnancy. 5"

If you read the entire link, you will find references to studies that mention BOTH FAS *and* other issues. And the studies listed were not old, most were done in the early/mid/late 90s, well after the US had claimed any amount of alcohol was contradicted in pregnancy. A few references were as recent as 2007. None of the links were links that cited just one study, the above link cites 25, so I don't know what you mean when you mention "one study" nor have I seen any studies that specifically link light drinking to any form of birth defects. If you have one, please do link it.

Now, I don't know about you, but "no negative effects" to me, seems to mean, no FAS *or* FAE. I've never even heard of "FAE" and googling it does not turn up anything. I'm not convinced this is a widely recognized birth defect. Frankly, the symptoms could be related to any number of things, it would be almost impossible to pin something like hyperactivity or poor sucking problems to alcohol use when there are so many other causes. I think it's misleading and alarmist to make claims or even begin to indicate that light drinking in pregnancy could cause all those problems. There are no studies to that effect. I'm not outright denying that it *could* exist, I am merely saying that I have not seen evidence to that effect. When researching something, I find it's best to go with evidence based conclusions. Let people make their decisions based on the actual information we have, not what you think might be true. And please, if you are going to make claims such as, "And this study is one study, there are others who show differently" (indicating that light drinking has been proven to cause negative effects in the baby), you need to link to them.

No one is saying it's 100% without risk, there is no substance you could ingest in pregnancy besides food and basic vitamins that can claim that. Ultimately, it's impossible to prove a negative, so people can always be able to say "there is no known safe level of alcohol in pregnancy."

I'm not a drinker either, it's against my religion and I converted three years ago. I didn't drink a drop during my first pregnancy after I found out I was pregnant (I was not TTC at the time). My second pregnancy, I had one singular glass of champagne on New Years. Actually, I think it was more like half a glass. This pregnancy I had a glass of wine one time, for medicinal purposes only, when I was having a run of contractions that just wouldn't quit.
#105 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Now, I don't know about you, but "no negative effects" to me, seems to mean, no FAS *or* FAE. I've never even heard of "FAE" and googling it does not turn up anything.
It might not be the correct terminology, as I read most articles in my mothertongue. Fetal Alcohol Effect (FAE) is usually seen as part of the FASD, or Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. It is milder, but still exists. Another term used for a mild form of FAS is alcohol embryopathy.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_A...cohol_exposure) explains:
Quote:
Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE)

This term was initially used in research studies to describe humans and animals in whom teratogenic effects were seen after confirmed prenatal alcohol exposure (or unknown exposure for humans), but without obvious physical anomalies.[5] Smith (1981) described FAE as an "extremely important concept" to highlight the debilitating effects of brain damage, regardless of the growth or facial features.[22] This term has fallen out of favor with clinicians because it was often regarded by the public as a less severe disability than FAS, when in fact its effects can be just as detrimental.
Other information can be found here:
http://www.house.gov/pallone/fasd_ca...bout_fasd.html

Quote:
Frankly, the symptoms could be related to any number of things, it would be almost impossible to pin something like hyperactivity or poor sucking problems to alcohol use when there are so many other causes. I think it's misleading and alarmist to make claims or even begin to indicate that light drinking in pregnancy could cause all those problems.
I tend to disagree. Pupmed seems to find studies using FAE, although I haven't read any of them yet. Also, I believe, that things should first be proven safe; just because the link is difficult to prove, does not mean there is not link. And it just seems to make sense to me: lots of alcohol = FAS, less alcohol = FAE. To think, that less alcohol = no effect, when lots of alcohol = FAS seems contradictory to me.

Here is a study, that mentiones, that FAS occurs in 1/1000 births, and FASD is much more common (without given numbers) :http://the-aps.org/press/journal/08/26.htm. or http://www.cdc.gov/NCBDDD/fas/fasask.htm; which also indicates, that diet can influence the amount of alcohol a woman can drink without endangering her child.

I remember reading a study a couple years back, that showed, that for some woman very little alcohohl is necassary to cause FAS, for others it needs 2 glasses a day.

I hadn't plan to start a scientific discussion here, hence my so far more colloquial and anecdotal tone. To discuss this issue scientifically, I would need to invest much more time, which I don't have currently.

Regarding the Europe has less cases argument: this study, actually shoes, that it does depent on the European country: France's and Germany's rate seems to be higher, Sweden's lesser: http://www.springerlink.com/content/t7465q6r41162751/ The same book also states, that FAS rates have declined, because woman drink less, but milder versions are nowadays better detected, so these rates are higher. Also, only there is a very high number of undiagnosed cases.

Anyways, I do find the conversation inspiring, and I am learning more, as I read, but the more I read, the more I am convinced, that not drinking is the safer path.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#106 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Banned

Your first link was a study on sheep, your second link doesn't work. Your last link is not in English and is unreadable to me.

I never ever said that I thought 1-2 drinks a day every day was ok, btw. I actually don't consider 1 drink every day to be light drinking.

I am seriously baffled as to how you could be reading the things you have and come to the conclusions you have. I just absolutely disagree with the fear mongering "any amount is unsafe" line. OF COURSE no alcohol is the absolute safest, as I've said multiple times:

There is no substance, other than food and vitamins, that has been proven to be 100 percent safe for pregnancy. Some foods are not even always safe, think about all the posts we see here about listeria or mercury poisoning or too much sugar.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the symptoms of FASD. I still think that in the US where 90% of women get an epidural, you can't pin problems like poor suck on possible alcohol use. Hyperactivity issues like ADD/ADHD are at an all time high, at at time when most women don't drink at all during pregnancy, there are so many theories as to why, everything from vaccinations to diet to drugs in labor. Now, maybe if a baby had all the symptoms combined I'd be more likely to pin it on alcohol use. But several of the symptoms are just too vague to be able to link them to any one thing, especially if the baby only had one or two.

"And it just seems to make sense to me: lots of alcohol = FAS, less alcohol = FAE. To think, that less alcohol = no effect, when lots of alcohol = FAS seems contradictory to me."

Why is that contradictory? Anything can be bad if overdosed on. Overdose on food, you can get obesity, diabetes, gout, ect. Overdose on water and you can have a sodium and potassium imbalance which can even lead to death. Overdose on alcohol and you can easily die, whereas your risk of death is pretty much nothing (excluding people on medications or who have health conditions) if you had a small or moderate amount. Take a C risk medication in pregnancy just one time and you'll probably be ok, take it every day and you could be risking birth defects. Seems pretty logical to me. There are so many things that are fine, even healthy, in small amounts and unhealthy in larger amounts. That's why there's a saying, "everything in moderation."

I'm not saying that it would be impossible for a moderate amount of alcohol to cause FASD, I'm merely saying that it's untrue and unproven that *any* amount will cause FASD. And claiming so is nothing short of fear mongering.
#107 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The symptoms include any of the following, but are not limited to them:

* Small size for gestational age or small stature in relation to peers
* Facial abnormalities such as small eye openings
* Poor coordination
* Hyperactive behavior
* Learning disabilities
* Developmental disabilities (e.g., speech and language delays)
* Mental retardation or low IQ
* Problems with daily living
* Poor reasoning and judgment skills
* Sleep and sucking disturbances in infancy

As one can see, it is not easy to link the symptoms back to alcohol exposure in uterus, but outright denying that there is such a possibility seems strange to me.
I believe all those things are linked back to alcohol exposure in the uterus. However, I've never seen anything - anything at all - to suggest that they're linked to light drinking. (I believe the OP referenced one drink a week!) I'll also note that at least half of those could easily be linked to having parents who were drunk a lot while a child was growing up.

Until this pregnancy, I've had a few drinks in every pregnancy. None of my children have shown any of these traits, except possibly ADHD in dd...and dh has a strong family history of that.

There has never been anything, anywhere, that suggests that occasional drinking is linked to these things, and if there has been, it's been well hidden. FAS is seen in babies born to moms who drink very abnormally, and FAE isn't something that happens in moms who have a drink a week. It just isn't. A drink a day? That also seems very unlikely, and nothing I've ever seen research to back up.

The thing is...there's so much hysteria here (Canada and the US) about alcohol and pregnancy that if there was solid evidence that really minimal drinking caused measurable effects, it would be plastered all over the place...and it's not.

What I find really laughable is that the more noticeably pregnant you are, the more dirty looks you get. I got glares from a whole table of people in a bar when I had a drink at 8 months pregnant. This was ridiculous, because a) it was mixed drink, and could easily have been a "virgin" version, b) they had no idea how often, if at all, I drank other than that day, and c) baby was only a month from being born, and most of his physical development was done. The buttinskies make me laugh, because the most dangerous time to be ingesting excessive amounts of anything, including alcohol, tends to be before anybody else can even tell you're pregnant.

Quote:
I am not damning drinking alcohol, I am wondering about some of the arguments (no risk whatsoever from 1-2glasses a day for instance). Maybe I am also surprised as how many doctors advice woman differently from the official guidelines of their country.
Many of the official guidelines of any given country are made for political reasons, not medical ones. A good example is the parental "we can't let our citizens make up their own minds" attitude of the US government (and the Canadian one, on many issues).

Quote:
It is not my choice, but we are all grownups and make our own decisions from facts, feelings and experience.
Yes - including doctors. They don't have to be drones, who just follow official guidelines. I'm glad many of them aren't.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#108 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I tend to disagree. Pupmed seems to find studies using FAE, although I haven't read any of them yet. Also, I believe, that things should first be proven safe; just because the link is difficult to prove, does not mean there is not link. And it just seems to make sense to me: lots of alcohol = FAS, less alcohol = FAE. To think, that less alcohol = no effect, when lots of alcohol = FAS seems contradictory to me.
Why not? Too much iron is bad for the human body - but not enough iron is bad for the human body, too. A woman in the US died last year, from drinking too much water. Since too much water can be fatal, does that mean we should stop drinking water entirely, as it's obviously dangerous. Ingesting too much of almost anything can have negative health effects, even if it's something not only neutral, but [i]necessary[/] to survival.

Quote:
Here is a study, that mentiones, that FAS occurs in 1/1000 births, and FASD is much more common (without given numbers) :http://the-aps.org/press/journal/08/26.htm. or http://www.cdc.gov/NCBDDD/fas/fasask.htm; which also indicates, that diet can influence the amount of alcohol a woman can drink without endangering her child.
While there are always exceptions, most women I've known with a truly cavalier attitude about alcohol in pregnancy (and by cavalier, I do not mean "I've researched it and I'm okay with 3-4 drinks/week," or
"my doctors said a drink a week is okay"), have had some other issues...often including a very poor diet.

Quote:
I remember reading a study a couple years back, that showed, that for some woman very little alcohohl is necassary to cause FAS, for others it needs 2 glasses a day.
I've never come across this before, and have never seen anything close to FAS in women who drink lightly. I'd like to see that study, because I strongly suspect there's a lot of missing data there...nutritional deficiencies, other drug use, etc.

Quote:
OF COURSE no alcohol is the absolute safest, as I've said multiple times:
You know...I'm not even sure I completely agree with this. I think it's probably at least partly situational. Very high levels of maternal stress aren't good for the baby, either, and I suspect that, at least in some cases, the benefits derived from alcohol's relaxing effects outweighs any possible risks from very light exposure. Mind you, I'd guess that studying something that subtle would be almost impossible.

Quote:
There is no substance, other than food and vitamins, that has been proven to be 100 percent safe for pregnancy.
If we're going to extremes, I'm sure even food and vitamins aren't safe, in excess. (See my above comment about too much water.)

Quote:
Some foods are not even always safe, think about all the posts we see here about listeria or mercury poisoning or too much sugar.
Yeah...even food can be scary, without even over-indulging.

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on the symptoms of FASD. I still think that in the US where 90% of women get an epidural, you can't pin problems like poor suck on possible alcohol use.
My sister's oldest was repeatedly blood-tested, and the hospital staff refused to tell her why. He was premature, and had the shakes, and they were convinced (largely because of her tattoos, I suspect) that my sister had been doing drugs while pregnant. That's what they were testing for, even after her GP made it clear that my sister had had regular prenatal care and was not on drugs of any kind. They apparently gave my sister Demerol while in labour, and the GP suspects the shakes were drug withdrawal...but withdrawal from drugs administered by the same staff doing the blood tests!

Quote:
Why is that contradictory? Anything can be bad if overdosed on. Overdose on food, you can get obesity, diabetes, gout, ect. Overdose on water and you can have a sodium and potassium imbalance which can even lead to death. Overdose on alcohol and you can easily die, whereas your risk of death is pretty much nothing (excluding people on medications or who have health conditions) if you had a small or moderate amount. Take a C risk medication in pregnancy just one time and you'll probably be ok, take it every day and you could be risking birth defects. Seems pretty logical to me. There are so many things that are fine, even healthy, in small amounts and unhealthy in larger amounts.
Oops - guess I should have read your whole post before replying. You said it much better than I did!

#109 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

That's a good point about a small amount of alcohol being relaxing and actually beneficial because stress isn't great for the baby either. However, I don't think that has anything to do with whether alcohol is 'safe' per se, just a case of the benefits outweighing the risks.

Like I was saying earlier, no one is ever going to be able to say with certainty this or that substance is 100% safe. So people will always be able to claim staying away from this or that is the 'safest' route.

I see we had the same thoughts about too much of a good thing

And, FTR...I do think that an occasional drink is fine in pregnancy. Daily drinking and binge drinking, no. But like you pointed out, there actually are not any studies that prove even 1 drink a day is unsafe; I still would probably err on the side of caution for that one though. I don't have a specific number I think people should keep it under per week...I think that probably varies per person anyway.
#110 of 110 Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM

I can't imagine drinking one drink a day, anyway. I'm obese, and not interested in putting on too much when I'm pregnant (my weight gain has consistently been under 30 pounds, and usually close to 20). So, if nothing else, I'd avoid drinking that much, so I wasn't taking in too many empty calories.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page