Why am I dizzy with a racing heart after eating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this a symptom of GD? Or a pre-symptom? I am only 8 weeks pregnant and it's already starting. After eating, particularly after eating a large meal, I become very dizzy and weak, light headed and have a racing heart (usually only as high as 110 max). It's scary for me; I don't know if this is normal or why it's happening.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there -

I had similar symptoms after eating meals, but this was right AFTER my son was born. Racing heart up to 120bpm and generally felt awful. I didn't make the connection as to what was causing it for quite a while. But it happened when I would wolf down a large meal (because I was always rushing to get back to tending the baby!) Once I made the connection, I started eating more slowly, and smaller meals throughout the day and that cured it. My doctor said it was probably due to changing hormones. However, for peace of mind I would talk to your Dr./midwife to see what they think. Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 PM

I had the same symptoms after meals during my last pregnancy, but much later (maybe from 28 weeks on). I asked my midwife about it and she said she hadn't heard of that. I personally believe that for me, it was a symptom of uncontrolled GD -- I passed the 3 hour GTT with one abnormal reading, but I ate a TON of sugar (drank chocolate milk every day, had a large dessert after dinner every night, etc.) all the way through the pregnancy and think that my blood sugar was probably spiking pretty high after meals and that this caused the racing heart.

That said, I also think that GD is often preventable by changing diet and exercise habits -- and that it's overdiagnosed and invites unnecessary interventions like induction. I would suggest smaller meals, cutting out all refined carbs, and exercising daily. I've been doing that since 24 weeks with this pregnancy and I have felt so much better (though I hate having eat like I'm on Atkins). I am pretty strict about the carbs -- no bread except low carb toast at breakfast, no pasta at all, a little brown rice maybe from time to time -- and make sure to balance any carbs you eat with protein and fat (including fruit and milk, which has lots of carbs). I eat a LOT of string cheese and salad.

Given that you're only 8 weeks, is it possible that you were diabetic or pre-diabetic before the pregnancy and were unaware of it? It might be a good idea to test your fasting glucose or have that done at your care provider's office to see where you are.

Or, the dizziness and racing heart could be something else entirely for you. I hope that it is not anything serious. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
Is this a symptom of GD? Or a pre-symptom? I am only 8 weeks pregnant and it's already starting. After eating, particularly after eating a large meal, I become very dizzy and weak, light headed and have a racing heart (usually only as high as 110 max). It's scary for me; I don't know if this is normal or why it's happening.
I have this same issue! I figure it has something to do with this time being multiples. Sorry I am no help

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page