Enemas while pregnant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I was reading on various threads here that enemas are bad. I am 13 weeks pregnant have been severely constipated and very bloated and the only relief I get is from giving myself an enema.

The kind of enema I do is fill a pink hot water bottle bag with filtered water, take it in anally, and then release everything when the urges come. This is different from the kind of enema you buy at the pharmacy.

I tend to do about 2 enemas a week (4 so far....). Is this harmful to the baby at all?
#2 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 12:54 AM

nak

Have u tried using psyllium? Its the thing I use for constipation.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#3 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have but it doesn't really agree with me.

I guess what I really want to know is if enemas (like the one I described above) are advisable or not during pregnancy, not so much ideas for relieving constipation.

Thanks!
#4 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 01:01 AM

not sure if u SHOULD use them but i have i couldnt take it any longer and i did 2 in 3 days and finally got a bm

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#5 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 01:08 AM

I would not think that giving yourself enemas on a regular basis would ever be good for you, pregnant or not. I know that at one time, enemas were done to speed up labor, although at least here it is no longer standard...so again, not so sure it's a great idea. I'd talk to your care provider about your constipation and see what they can recommend...there are a lot of natural remedies as well as prescriptions if it came down to it.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#6 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 01:26 AM

Mama, stop doing those. Take a magnesium supplement. It will move things along for you. Also you could stop taking prenatals with iron and take a non iron containing multivitamin and get liquid chlorphyll or Floradix to get a non-constipating iron source. I can't take prenatals. First they give me round the clock morning sickness and then the constipate me. I take a variety of non-constipating nutritional teas and supplements so things keep moving.

Lorrie
#7 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 01:38 AM

Thanks for asking this question sierradawn and for all the alternative recommendations homewithtwinsmama. I've not done an enema yet, but have been seriously considering it with how slow things have been. It didn't occur on me it could be the prenatals causing the constipation. I used Floradix after my first birth and it was gentle and delicious. I'm definitely going to switch up my supplements - asap!

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page