Stevia while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if any of you ladies know if this is ok. I'm 28 wks.

I'm allergic to corn, so no corn syrup. Don't drink diet stuff, especially not while pregnant...but I really want a pop (or soda - depending on where you are!) and I found one made with stevia...called...Zevia.

Anyway. Just curious!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#2 of 32 Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM

Personally, I'd rather get a sugar-sweetened one and stick to one. If you check out the local HFS there are all sorts that are sugar sweetened. Virgil's, Reed's and Maine Root are the ones I tend to buy. Hansen's - some are sugar and some are corn so you have to be careful.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 32 Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 PM

Eeek...I've been using Stevia my whole pregnancy (I'm 33 weeks now)...mostly I didn't want the extra empty calories of sugar, but I needed something sweet to drink now and again...uh oh, am I in trouble?

Flo, SAHM to a fearless, crazy, off-the-wall DD (7/22/09) and Power Yoga Instructor the rest of the time   Expecting #2 in July 2012

#4 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM

I stopped drinking diet sodas early in the pregnancy and now drink regular Coke on occasion. I was afraid to use sugar additives during the pregnancy and wanted to be extra careful. However, I can't wait to go back to diet post preg. Although I don't miss the headaches I had when drinking diet.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#5 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 12:01 PM

I'd prob limit but use stevia. out of curiosity, what soda now has it in it?

Stevia is the ONLY sugar substitute that doesnt give me migraines
#6 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 PM

there is nothing wrong with stevia? its made out of a plant.

diet pop has artificial sweetners that imo, are cancer causing as well as autoimmune issue triggering.

regular pop is high fructose corn syrup which recent studies have shown is contaminated with mercury. that goes for ALL high fructose corn syrup. not to mention corn syrup is responsible for this nations diabetes epidemic.

stick with the stevia.

DS 5-11-06
#7 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 01:33 PM

this webiste makes stevia seem bad - but i have no idea...
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...alsweetner.htm

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#8 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mama View Post
I'm allergic to corn, so no corn syrup. Don't drink diet stuff, especially not while pregnant...but I really want a pop (or soda - depending on where you are!) and I found one made with stevia...called...Zevia.
ok, a couple things:

1) Is Zevia just a trade name for the specific pop you are wanting to drink? Or is it the name of the sweetener that was developed *from* Stevia.. and thus not the same as Stevia... in which case there will be even less information available on safety during pregnancy.

2) I have no published info on the safety of the herb Stevia. The consensus seems to be that it is okay BUT has been used to *augment* amniotic fluid levels. Therefore, if you've ever had "too much fluid" it's perhaps a bad idea to ingest on any kind of regular basis.

3) I personally, came to the conclusion that white sugar is by far the lesser of the commercial sweetener evils. BUT, maybe check out your health food stores for pop - here, there are a whole bunch that are sweetened with grape juice or less refined sugars.

ALSO (sorry, I had to comment): Just because something is a plant does not mean it is safe! Deadly Nightshade is a plant, coffee beans come from plants, High fructose corn syrup came from a plant, Pennyroyal is a plant, digitalis... shall I continue?

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#9 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoabethy View Post
nothing on that site says its "bad". it just says it is not regulated buy the fda (nor are any other natural herbs or supplements)

I love how the fda says they cant say this is safe for pregnant women because they dont know enough about it, but they can say that aspartame and splenda is safe for pregnant women? are you kidding me?

splenda is made from CHLORINE hello fda people! they also can turn into formeldahyde in your body.

not to mention our bodies have no idea how to process these CHEMICALS. = diabetes.

DS 5-11-06
#10 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 02:36 PM

I don't like Splenda, either, but table salt is also made from chlorine.
#11 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 PM

I have heard that the white version of stevia is fine while pregnant, but I wont use it because it has to be processed to become white, and then the toxin gets removed. I don't use the green powder because I think it is gross.
I imagine that the soda that has stevia is the processed form of stevia.
#12 of 32 Old 05-30-2009, 10:24 AM

the book "mother food for breastfeeding mothers" (about how eating certain foods can affect/increase your milk supply) suggest stevia is safe for pregnant women in small amounts.
i use it during this pregnancy, but only on the odd occasion

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#13 of 32 Old 05-30-2009, 11:32 AM

I had GD last time and used splenda for months, had no choice when they told me I could no longer have any sugar at all. My DD is now five and perfect. I'm using it this pregnancy also, but I don't drink soda at all.

I am avoiding sweet n low. It is the only food product on the market the is actually KNOWN to cause cancer in lab animals. Normally it would have never been allowed, but the diabetics needed a sweetener. But, for it to have the same effect on humans the dosage would be incredible. Something like you would have to ingest over 400 packets per day for over 300 years. We studied it in college, but that was 20 years ago so I don't remember exactly
#14 of 32 Old 05-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel_P View Post
I am avoiding sweet n low. It is the only food product on the market the is actually KNOWN to cause cancer in lab animals.
Actually, that's not true. Aspartame has that same link, and actually higher risk than saccharine does. It's just that because those tests were run in the EU, the FDA dismisses them out of hand.

Stevia has been linked to decreased sperm production, it is used as a contraceptive in some native communities. For that reason, I don't have it in the house... and knowing that I'm carrying a boy, there's no way I would expose him to that - I've spent years dealing with IF, I'm not going to risk imposing that on my child. I'd much rather have the little bit of organic sugar or honey or maple syrup on occasion.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#15 of 32 Old 05-30-2009, 05:55 PM

I've got GD. So I avoid sugar (and honey and maple syrup) *sigh*. . I will have a little bit of Agave nectar on occasion. Aspartame and Sucrolose are totally out. . completely. Both give me HORRIBLE headaches. I really worry about the neurological effects of something that gives me headaches at such a small dose (I am not at all prone to headaches). I will use Stevia extract on occasion. . Mostly I'm just gotten use to not having much of anything sweet. (what I wouldn't do to eat a bunch of fruit at this point)

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#16 of 32 Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had no idea Stevia was considered anything but healthy. Anyone have links with info on it's dangers?? (not just during pregnancy)
#17 of 32 Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 AM

When I was dx with low amniotic fluid my midwife (highly trained and regulated here in Ontario) recommended Stevia. Apparently, it can help with that. So, I assume if she's recommending me to take it during pregnancy, it's probably safe enough. I would have no problem taking it myself.
#18 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM

I am an artificial sweetener researcher/activist...I don't know about stevia and pregnancy. But in Europe it is well Known that Splenda can cause a woman to miscarry. IT has chlorine in it!!!! and the artificial sweetener lobby keeps this information from us, the same way they try to make us believe that stevia is less safe. Why doesn't America know about this? When Aspartame/NutraSweet was discovered it was NOT approved by the FDA physician because it didn't survive human trials and people were getting too sick...but because it was a goldmine, Donald Rumsfeld fired the FDA physician and hired his own physician to approve it!...

Again I don't know about Stevia and pregnancy since it is an herb...
But stay away from artificial sweeteners!
If you've had Splenda, don't worry, just don't have it again!

check out the source below

"The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) has warned that aspartame, the artificial sugar substitute in most diet drinks, may cause cancer as reported in a three-year Italian study that found links to lymphomas and leukemias . But the CSPI communication goes on to advocate use of another doubtful sweetener – sucralose – to get off aspartame. Sucralose, also sold under the Splenda brand name, has its own problems of toxicity and is by no means an innocuous replacement for aspartame.

Although the CSPI has – with a delay of several years – come out now with a warning against the use of aspartame, Betty Martini charges that its executive director, Michael Jacobson, should have had the courage to do so long ago. She says the information was available since the time of the aspartame approval through political pressure called in by Donald Rumsfeld, former CEO of aspartame manufacturer Searle and now defense secretary.

Diet soda, which generally is sweetened with aspartame, has been shown to be linked to an increased incidence of obesity by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio in a recent study. While Fowler is quick to point out that the link does not prove causation, the facts showed that the more diet drinks a person consumed, the higher was the likelihood of being obese.

The SustainableIsGood Blog wrote “Judging by the domain names Johnson & Johnson and Tate & Lyle own it’s very clear they are concerned about people targeting targeting Splenda itself, or its main ingredient sucralose. The mere fact a major corporation and maker of a product has bought and owns domain names with their product name and the words “poison,” “kills,” and “sucks,” and “victims” is amazing. Under what possible scenario does Johnson & Johnson envision that someone would create the website “victimsofsplenda.com” This domain name and many others seem to go way beyond a company protecting its trademarks or copyright – these domain names imply a very sobering negative fear on the parts of Johnson & Johnson and Tate & Lyle.”

And then concludes with “It’s hard not to wonder – buying a handful of top level domain names to protect a company name or trademark seems reasonable but buying over 200 possibly as high as 300 negative domain names related to a product seems over the top. Is there something these companies know about Splenda that make them feel the need to buy all these domain names before someone else can? Who would ever imagine a website www.victimsofsplenda.com – honestly? Well apparently someone at Johnson & Johnson did because they now own the domain along with a host of others.”

http://splenda.worldwidewarning.net/
#19 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the info Elka!

Has anyone seen the movie Food Inc? Lots in there about how corn is in SO much of our food. Michigan Mama, I have no idea how you find foods you can eat.

Mommy to DS 6/08, Expecting :
4/10 by c-section.
#20 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mama View Post
Just wondering if any of you ladies know if this is ok. I'm 28 wks.

Anyway. Just curious!
Could you make your own beverages to fix your craving and cut out the "added" sweetner? I've been wanting soda and kool aid type stuff... and I've found that if I mix seltzer water with some kind of fresh juice that I make in my juicer (or even store bought 100% juice) it kills the craving without having to worry about if the drink has HFCS, sugar, Stevia...etc.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#21 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemommy View Post
. I will have a little bit of Agave nectar on occasion.
You might want to read this article re: Agave Nectar... http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

OP: If I were you, I would stick to a sugar sweetened soda if/when the craving comes along. Out of all the available options of sweeteners, it's the lesser of the evils-and barring GD or any specific health problem, has a long standing history of being relatively safe-as opposed to newer processed sweeteners that haven't been around long enough to know for sure. Virgil's sodas are super yummy, and (at least in the kinds I have had) don't have any questionable ingredients. Our regular grocery stores carry it in the natural foods section.

I wouldn't ever take the "I used it last time and everything turned out ok" approach to determine if something were genuinely safe. My mom smoked with all of her pregnancies, and we were all born healthy, but I wouldn't use that to say smoking is safe during pregnancy, KWIM?

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#22 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 PM

I lived in rural Paraguay, where Stevia is native. It is called "ka'a he'e" in the native language, which literally means sweet leaf. It is made from a leaf of a plant. They use it all the time - pregnant or not - and I've never heard anyone use it as a contraceptive. I don't know what they do to refine it and sell in the U.S. In Paragauy they just use the leaves.
dayiscoming2006 likes this.

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
#23 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post
Could you make your own beverages to fix your craving and cut out the "added" sweetner? I've been wanting soda and kool aid type stuff... and I've found that if I mix seltzer water with some kind of fresh juice that I make in my juicer (or even store bought 100% juice) it kills the craving without having to worry about if the drink has HFCS, sugar, Stevia...etc.
This is what we do in my house when we have cravings for sweet carbonation. Quite delicious .

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#24 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 PM

What about all the carbonated fruit juices out there? Our co-op has several varieties and they're fantastic, and I've seen them at local grocers, too. No HFCS, just juice. Some of the "Switch" brand ones are fantastic...like soda, but better than soda.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#25 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post

Go with this OP. That way you won't have to worry about sweetners and things.
Whenever I want something fizzy and sweet, I add crushed up fruit or some fruit juice to my pellegrino.
Mmmm, it's so good and refreshing!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#26 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoabethy View Post
This info is out of date. Stevia is now approved as a food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I have heard that the white version of stevia is fine while pregnant, but I wont use it because it has to be processed to become white, and then the toxin gets removed. I don't use the green powder because I think it is gross.
I imagine that the soda that has stevia is the processed form of stevia.
what toxin? But yeah, the straight herb is gross. The white or liquid form is just a simple extract, not any more processed than any other herbal extract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Thanks for the info Elka!

Has anyone seen the movie Food Inc? Lots in there about how corn is in SO much of our food. Michigan Mama, I have no idea how you find foods you can eat.
VERY CAREFULLY!

OP, I can't eat any corn, either. And I drink water with flavored stevia drops every day. Granted, stevia is so sweet that that amounts to 20 drops per day. My amniotic fluid is totally normal levels, same as my last time when there was no stevia. IMO, stevia is totally safe. And it's not an artificial sweetener. It's just a non-caloric one.

I use flavored stevia in sparkling or flat water, because I can't handle plain water (don't know why, I love water by itself when non-pregnant.) It's how I manage to keep hydrated!

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#27 of 32 Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Has anyone tried xylitol? My midwife says it is actually good for pregnant women because it is good for bones and is low on the glycemic index. I know it is in some gum (like xylichew) maybe it can be found in some soda?

ETA: Here is some info on xylitol and this place sells soda flavors.. I have a soda machine at home, so I have made soda myself in the past (I know Sears sells the machines now also), but I haven't tried this company for syrups yet.

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=164
#28 of 32 Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM

I use stevia (actually Sweet Leaf packets) to sweeten my RR/Nettle tea a few times a week. It takes just the tiniest amount to sweeten a beverage and imo it's better than sugar, because it doesn't affect your glycemic index. I would think that like all herbal treatments, if you wanted to use it to increase amniotic fluids, etc, you'd probably have to take quite a bit of it, and probably in the leaf state- that's just an educated guess.
#29 of 32 Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Has anyone tried xylitol? My midwife says it is actually good for pregnant women because it is good for bones and is low on the glycemic index. I know it is in some gum (like xylichew) maybe it can be found in some soda?

ETA: Here is some info on xylitol and this place sells soda flavors.. I have a soda machine at home, so I have made soda myself in the past (I know Sears sells the machines now also), but I haven't tried this company for syrups yet.

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=164
The gum I chew is sweetened with Xylitol (B Fresh.) I brought it to my midwife and got the okay to continue chewing it daily while pg.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#30 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 PM

I am 29 weeks and have baked with stevia twice in the last week. Each time I have eaten the baked goods I have experienced stomach cramps! I think I will lay off the stevia and stick with other sugars.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page